How ignorant people are of the facts of covid? It's not the bubonic plague

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How ignorant people are of the facts of covid? It's not the bubonic plague

Post by yick »

mattyman wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 9:18 pm
Guys, this is 'lockdown fanatic' we're dealing with.
If there were a few more 'lockdown fanatics' in the UK, there wouldn't be 73000 dead people. :roll:

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

mattyman
Junior Poster

Post by mattyman »

поко! сегодня вечером (или утром). всё. Bye, this evening or morning. Had enough.

If you wan to troll someone's threads take a lesson from yick.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

mattyman wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 9:24 pm
поко! сегодня вечером (или утром). всё. Bye, this evening or morning. Had enough.

If you wan to troll someone's threads take a lesson from yick.
:lol:

f**k off and take your conspiracy theories with you, like we don't have enough of them on here - post when you're in Armenia, you might have something interesting to say.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

^ Hahaha that video is hilarious. They are kind of cheating by using an asian woman tho (that what she is?) cause asians go above and beyond to conform.

Hmm, there must be a way to use this psychology to our advantage. What if at the beep every woman in the room gave the man next to her fellatio...
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

yick wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 8:36 pm
It's simple
Lockdown worked in China and now we are in a very light lockdown.
To stop a virus, you have to vaccinate/isolate the spreaders until a vaccine becomes available

Otherwise, you need to lockdown places and people.

It won't work if people refuse to comply

No-one can ruin your life except you, I know it is handy to blame a virus but the state of your life has nothing to do with COVID-19.
While people in Asia are fairly good informed by the local media about what chaotic situation is going on in USA, UK and Europe, I noticed that you find rarely any article, TV documentation etc. in Western media about how the Covid-19 infection is regulated by governments in Asia.

And let me say, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, South Korea show up with even better results due to their stricter regulations compared to Japan.

-----

Today's data speak for themselves.

Lockdown? Not much to notice in my place, people move around as always, stores are full with goods, no panic shopping, no fightings, very peaceful...

It is really only about considering that you live within a group of people and you are a part of this group, like it or not but follow instructions, keep discipline, be patient....

The only lockdown you will feel in Japan is in case you are into international travel - but about domestic traffic, there are hardly any restriction, nothing known to me about fines, we have not even orders from the government to comply, only recommendations what people should do...

The country where I am living now
Japan 126 million people, totally confirmed infections 225.828, deaths 3360
link switchable/Japanese/English
https://www.stopcovid19.jp

My native country (14 times less population than Japan)
Austria (EU) 9 million people, totally confirmed infections 355.451, deaths 6149
link in German, directly from Austria
https://www.krone.at/2308292

The province where I am now living (not so many people, not really an international known place, half population in rural area)
Okayama province, about 2 million people, totally confirmed cases 1340, deaths 13
link only in Japanese
https://okayama.stopcovid19.jp
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Thing is Yohan those figures aren't enough for the likes of Mattyman - they're not working though they are - in fact if you look around East/South East Asia - you actually see more or less the same thing...

Indonesia is no.1 in the region with 21000 deaths
Philippines come second with 9000 deaths
Then the Chinese with 4346
Japan 3349
Myanmar 2664
South Korea 900
Malaysia 463
Hong Kong 147
Thailand 61
Vietnam 35
Singapore 29
Mongolia 1
Laos and Cambodia zero!

Laos - No-one has died of it, same in Cambodia
Mongolia has ONE death

I think its cultural and that this pandemic shows the best in the people of the Far East who will come together and try their best to self-isolate and not go out of their way to break the rules, panic buy, beat up bus drivers and hospital staff because they have been told to wear a mask like they do in the UK - and you don't get many people here screaming about 'scamdemics' and the next day they have died of COVID-19 like some of these stupid fat Americans on You Tube and Facebook.

Top 10 of COVID-19 deaths

1) US
2) Brazil
3) India
4) Mexico
5) UK
6) Italy
7) France
8) Iran
9) Spain
10) Russia

You would think that the crap voluntary lockdown that most people ignored in the UK would enrage mattyman because people aren't simply doing as they're meant to do.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Taiwan is NOT in your list, never had a lockdown

TAIWAN has the lowest infection rate in Asia considering it has 23 million people.

(This article is from 11. Dec. 2020.
Today there are totally 797 infections, fully recovered 666, number of deaths did NOT change - 7 person only died so far!)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55269729
Covid-19: Virus ‘success’ Taiwan to keep restrictions despite vaccine

Taiwan's early response has kept the virus well in check
Authorities in Taiwan have warned that even as vaccinations begin, the world should remain extremely vigilant against the virus.

Health Minister Chen Shih-chung said scientific data on the vaccines' lasting effect was still insufficient.

"During the first vaccination periods, people should continue with the safety measures," he told the BBC.

Taiwan has been one of the most successful places in the world in dealing with Covid-19.

So far, it has had only 724 confirmed cases and seven deaths and has never had to go into lockdown.

The health minister does not question the vaccines' safety or whether they provide immunity but rather stresses that it was not clear to which extent and how long they would protect people.

Taiwan's impressive success battling the coronavirus has been largely attributed to early and strict border controls, a ban on foreign visitors and mandatory quarantine for all Taiwanese returning home.

The island's 23 million people have also proactively been wearing face masks, even before they were required to do so.

And the protective measures have not only helped to keep the virus in check but also have driven down cases of the regular flu and has reduced cases of stomach flu by 90%.

Since the early days of the pandemic, there has been a global race to develop a vaccine. Companies in Europe, the US and China all having several vaccines in late stage trials, with most of them showing around 90% efficiency.

Russia was the first country to begin vaccinating its population with its domestically developed Sputnik V vaccine.

Earlier this week, the UK also rolled out its first jabs after it gave approval to a vaccine by Pfizer/BioNTech.

It's expected that many of the other vaccine candidates will also be approved soon and that countries will begin widespread vaccination in 2021.

Limited production capacities though will mean the process will be gradual and take most of next year.

"I think when vaccinations become more widespread, the virus will ease," Mr Chen told the BBC's Cindy Sui in Tapei . "But at the same time, we are worried that while vaccinations are being carried out, everyone will be relaxed.

"So during the pre-vaccination period, the whole world should pay attention to whether this relaxed attitude will lead to another peak in the pandemic."

He also urged that the lessons from this pandemic should not be forgot once the crisis is over, warning that there will be more infectious diseases in the future and that the frequency will be higher.

"I believe the world will definitely return to normal," he said. "The only thing is often when infectious diseases are spreading, everyone learns a lesson, but after they pass, people forget the lessons learned."
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Yohan wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 1:48 am
Taiwan is NOT in your list, never had a lockdown

TAIWAN has the lowest infection rate in Asia considering it has 23 million people.

(This article is from 11. Dec. 2020.
Today there are totally 797 infections, fully recovered 666, number of deaths did NOT change - 7 person only died so far!)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55269729
Covid-19: Virus ‘success’ Taiwan to keep restrictions despite vaccine

Taiwan's early response has kept the virus well in check
Authorities in Taiwan have warned that even as vaccinations begin, the world should remain extremely vigilant against the virus.

Health Minister Chen Shih-chung said scientific data on the vaccines' lasting effect was still insufficient.

"During the first vaccination periods, people should continue with the safety measures," he told the BBC.

Taiwan has been one of the most successful places in the world in dealing with Covid-19.

So far, it has had only 724 confirmed cases and seven deaths and has never had to go into lockdown.

The health minister does not question the vaccines' safety or whether they provide immunity but rather stresses that it was not clear to which extent and how long they would protect people.

Taiwan's impressive success battling the coronavirus has been largely attributed to early and strict border controls, a ban on foreign visitors and mandatory quarantine for all Taiwanese returning home.

The island's 23 million people have also proactively been wearing face masks, even before they were required to do so.

And the protective measures have not only helped to keep the virus in check but also have driven down cases of the regular flu and has reduced cases of stomach flu by 90%.

Since the early days of the pandemic, there has been a global race to develop a vaccine. Companies in Europe, the US and China all having several vaccines in late stage trials, with most of them showing around 90% efficiency.

Russia was the first country to begin vaccinating its population with its domestically developed Sputnik V vaccine.

Earlier this week, the UK also rolled out its first jabs after it gave approval to a vaccine by Pfizer/BioNTech.

It's expected that many of the other vaccine candidates will also be approved soon and that countries will begin widespread vaccination in 2021.

Limited production capacities though will mean the process will be gradual and take most of next year.

"I think when vaccinations become more widespread, the virus will ease," Mr Chen told the BBC's Cindy Sui in Tapei . "But at the same time, we are worried that while vaccinations are being carried out, everyone will be relaxed.

"So during the pre-vaccination period, the whole world should pay attention to whether this relaxed attitude will lead to another peak in the pandemic."

He also urged that the lessons from this pandemic should not be forgot once the crisis is over, warning that there will be more infectious diseases in the future and that the frequency will be higher.

"I believe the world will definitely return to normal," he said. "The only thing is often when infectious diseases are spreading, everyone learns a lesson, but after they pass, people forget the lessons learned."
Did Taiwan suspend flights and forbade non-nationals coming in and out of the country for any time period? If they did, they went into lockdown, it might not be a lockdown on a mirco-level but a lockdown of the borders thus a lockdown.

I am sure they did, Winston is there now and complaining they can't leave.
mattyman
Junior Poster

Post by mattyman »

Everyone's welcome to have differing opinions on this issue. If you disagree then please disagree like an adult. Resorting to insults and ad-hominem attacks is not how grown-ups carry-out discussions with people they disagree with. If there's any more resorting to insults my patience is going to run out. The honourable gentleman knows he's the one making a fool of himself by the very act of resorting to insults & not actually contributing anything. Tell me, do you resort to ad-hominem and insults with everyone you disagree with?
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

mattyman wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 3:58 am
Everyone's welcome to have differing opinions on this issue. If you disagree then please disagree like an adult. Resorting to insults and ad-hominem attacks is not how grown-ups carry-out discussions with people they disagree with. If there's any more resorting to insults my patience is going to run out. The honourable gentleman knows he's the one making a fool of himself by the very act of resorting to insults & not actually contributing anything. Tell me, do you resort to ad-hominem and insults with everyone you disagree with?
Yes, take your own advice. You were insulting me as well.
mattyman
Junior Poster

Post by mattyman »

I haven't got the time to be involved with childish bickering. Anyway, Yohan has got a good point. Lets get back to the discussion rather than shooting the messenger thanks.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

mattyman wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 4:11 am
I haven't got the time to be involved with childish bickering. Anyway, Yohan has got a good point. Lets get back to the discussion rather than shooting the messenger thanks.
Go ahead... 8)
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

yick wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 3:29 am
Did Taiwan suspend flights and forbade non-nationals coming in and out of the country for any time period? If they did, they went into lockdown, it might not be a lockdown on a mirco-level but a lockdown of the borders thus a lockdown.
It depends what you understand as 'lockdown'. What is your definition of 'lockdown'?

The meaning of English words imported into Japanese language is sometimes differently from the original meaning.

Here in Japan (and maybe in Taiwan too I guess) most people consider this English word as being forced to remain at home, not to allowed to meet other people, not to be allowed even to go out of your own apartment every day as you like - something like a confinement in a cell.

However in Japan you are allowed to travel around as you like. No restriction at all. You are allowed to leave Japan too, if you find a commercial flight to take you out, however coming back you will be sent into quarantine, required to accept testing etc.....
1 : the confinement of prisoners to their cells for all or most of the day as a temporary security measure.
2a : an emergency measure or condition in which people are temporarily prevented from entering or leaving a restricted area or building (such as a school) during a threat of danger …
2b: a temporary condition imposed by governmental authorities (as during the outbreak of an epidemic disease) in which people are required to stay in their homes and refrain from or limit activities outside the home involving public contact (such as dining out or attending large gatherings)

Lockdown - Definition of Lockdown by Merriam-Webster
A Japanese explanation I found about 'lockdown - covid-19' is as follows:
日本においてロックダウンが行われることはなく、そもそもそのような状況下に置かれる事も通常ないが、2020年の新型コロナウイルス感染症(COVID-19)の流行では4月に当時の安倍晋三総理大臣が初の緊急事態宣言を発令した。ただし、諸外国のような外出制限を制定し、違反者に罰金制度を設けるロックダウンは日本では行われていない。日本政府からは外出自粛要請との形で行われており、罰則や強制力も当然ない.
I would translate this text in English as follows:
There is no lockdown carried out in Japan, this is not done in such a situation in general, but in the outbreak of the new coronavirus infection (COVID-19) in 2020, then Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in April issued for the first time a state of emergency. However, there is no lockdown in Japan that creates restrictions on going out like in other countries or sets a fine system for violators. The Japanese government made a request to refrain from going out, and of course there are no penalties or being forced.
@yick
May I ask what is your opinion?
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Yohan wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 5:52 am
yick wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 3:29 am
It depends what you understand as 'lockdown'. What is your definition of 'lockdown'?

The meaning of English words imported into Japanese language is sometimes differently from the original meaning.

Here in Japan (and maybe in Taiwan too I guess) most people consider this English word as being forced to remain at home, not to allowed to meet other people, not to be allowed even to go out of your own apartment every day as you like - something like a confinement in a cell.

However in Japan you are allowed to travel around as you like. No restriction at all. You are allowed to leave Japan too, if you find a commercial flight to take you out, however coming back you will be sent into quarantine, required to accept testing etc.....
1 : the confinement of prisoners to their cells for all or most of the day as a temporary security measure.
2a : an emergency measure or condition in which people are temporarily prevented from entering or leaving a restricted area or building (such as a school) during a threat of danger …
2b: a temporary condition imposed by governmental authorities (as during the outbreak of an epidemic disease) in which people are required to stay in their homes and refrain from or limit activities outside the home involving public contact (such as dining out or attending large gatherings)

Lockdown - Definition of Lockdown by Merriam-Webster
A Japanese explanation I found about 'lockdown - covid-19' is as follows:
日本においてロックダウンが行われることはなく、そもそもそのような状況下に置かれる事も通常ないが、2020年の新型コロナウイルス感染症(COVID-19)の流行では4月に当時の安倍晋三総理大臣が初の緊急事態宣言を発令した。ただし、諸外国のような外出制限を制定し、違反者に罰金制度を設けるロックダウンは日本では行われていない。日本政府からは外出自粛要請との形で行われており、罰則や強制力も当然ない.
I would translate this text in English as follows:
There is no lockdown carried out in Japan, this is not done in such a situation in general, but in the outbreak of the new coronavirus infection (COVID-19) in 2020, then Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in April issued for the first time a state of emergency. However, there is no lockdown in Japan that creates restrictions on going out like in other countries or sets a fine system for violators. The Japanese government made a request to refrain from going out, and of course there are no penalties or being forced.
@yick
May I ask what is your opinion?
I would say there are macro and micro lockdowns - there are national/international lockdowns that prevent people entering or leaving a country but there are also lockdowns that prevent people leaving their house/street/town/city... not every lockdown is the same, in Peru at the height of the pandemic, you weren't even allowed to leave your street and there were soldiers on the ground to make sure this was adhered to - in the UK, it was a voluntary lockdown where people were advised to shield if they were vulnerable but people weren't in and allowed out of the country - it was shut down along with most of the world - so they were in a lockdown.

I would say a lockdown is a measure that restricts your total freedom to do and go where you could previously, of course there are different types of lockdowns as well as different measures/strictness of lockdowns.