Why does it seem Anglos are "Soft on the Outside, Rough on the Inside"?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
ArchibaultNew
Freshman Poster

Why does it seem Anglos are "Soft on the Outside, Rough on the Inside"?

Post by ArchibaultNew »

Hey guys,

This is an observation I've noticed. It seems Anglo Society is all about appearances and "virtue signaling" but underneath its a much different perhaps less pleasant reality. They remind me of Russians in this regard since I do see them as having a somewhat similar profile.

Example #1: I'll give a concrete example, unlike French or Asians Anglo's will all be polite with each other at work. But say it's someone's birthday party they will not show up if they don't like that colleague. But in public they won't admit they don't like someone, they'll give an excuse.

Example #2: I've seen a lot of White Anglo's in Public being all about "minorities." But I have also seen them in private and they don't want to associate with them. This is the opposite profile from Spaniards since some of them tend to be openly xenophobic and racists. But underneath some of them are "empty" as "opposed to prejudice." Spaniards seem to not care that much about minorities.

Example #3: This one is about expectations. It seems Anglo's will truly follow "everyone for themselves" when it comes to their children. Where you have to provide for yourself. Meanwhile, it seems that Asians will help their children financially to go to college and graduate school. Moreover, Asian tend to be rude/strict towards their children in public.

Conclusions: Unlike what people might think, I don't dislike Anglo's. I see them as a "middle of the pack" type of society/civilization. I like them enough to want to write about them and their society Where they tend to have positives and negatives. It seems every society is like this where there's up's and down's. However, you need to have a "trained eye" to see through them.
galii
Experienced Poster

Re: Why does it seem Anglos are "Soft on the Outside, Rough on the Inside"?

Post by galii »

ArchibaultNew wrote:
August 14th, 2022, 11:21 pm
Hey guys,

This is an observation I've noticed. It seems Anglo Society is all about appearances and "virtue signaling" but underneath its a much different perhaps less pleasant reality. They remind me of Russians in this regard since I do see them as having a somewhat similar profile.

Example #1: I'll give a concrete example, unlike French or Asians Anglo's will all be polite with each other at work. But say it's someone's birthday party they will not show up if they don't like that colleague. But in public they won't admit they don't like someone, they'll give an excuse.

Example #2: I've seen a lot of White Anglo's in Public being all about "minorities." But I have also seen them in private and they don't want to associate with them. This is the opposite profile from Spaniards since some of them tend to be openly xenophobic and racists. But underneath some of them are "empty" as "opposed to prejudice." Spaniards seem to not care that much about minorities.

Example #3: This one is about expectations. It seems Anglo's will truly follow "everyone for themselves" when it comes to their children. Where you have to provide for yourself. Meanwhile, it seems that Asians will help their children financially to go to college and graduate school. Moreover, Asian tend to be rude/strict towards their children in public.

Conclusions: Unlike what people might think, I don't dislike Anglo's. I see them as a "middle of the pack" type of society/civilization. I like them enough to want to write about them and their society Where they tend to have positives and negatives. It seems every society is like this where there's up's and down's. However, you need to have a "trained eye" to see through them.
It is complicated
Outcast9428
Experienced Poster

Re: Why does it seem Anglos are "Soft on the Outside, Rough on the Inside"?

Post by Outcast9428 »

I agree with this assessment and it describes my college very well. Anglos definitely tend to be superficially polite but aren’t really a very friendly people. I also agree every culture has its ups and downs but for some the negatives are worse then others and in other cases the positives are better then others.