Trip report--Yiwu, China

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Trip report--Yiwu, China

Post by zboy1 »

Since it's the Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival, I decided to take a trip to Yiwu, China for a few days...

These are my first impressions of the city:

I was surprised to see so many foreigners in this city; there is a large Korean community here along with a large African and Chinese Muslim/Middle Eastern presence here. Not many Americans/Canadians or Europeans though.

The city is a lot cleaner than Hangzhou or Pujiang in my opinion. It's a pretty pleasant place to be, actually. The air is cleaner here and also, the surrounding Yiwu river (although heavily polluted like most Chinese rivers) and the surrounding mountains make it a picturesque place.

The city was a lot more cosmopolitan than I expected. Like i mentioned before, lot's of foreigners here and there's lots of good ethnic restaurants here--especially Middle Eastern and Korean. I had dinner at a nice Middle Eastern place--and ate at many Korean restaurants here, so it was like a Godsend to me, especially since I was getting a little tired of eating nothing but Chinese food, LOL.

There is a large Korean community here in Yiwu; My hotel is located near the large Korean neighborhood. And as I mentioned before, there are a large number of Chinese Muslims/Middle Easterners and Africans in the city.

I did have one unfortunate racist experience here: I was eating at a Korean restaurant and one obnoxious Chinese male with two Chinese females entered the restaurant and looked to be taunting the Korean restaurant hostess and making fun of Korean culture I think (wasn't too sure, but I think that was what the group was talking about).

The male then turned to me to point at something that I was eating. That was when my New Yorker F**k OFF attitude kicked-in overtime, but then the better part of valor got a hold of me...I knew if I kicked the guys ass--I might risk getting my Visa in trouble or I might get in trouble with the Chinese authorities, so I backed off. I did stare at the them for a while, but that was all I did.

Anyway, on to more positive aspects of my trip: I did get to eat at a Chinese Kentucky Fried Chicken for the first time. Weird menu--especially the KFC burger? I mean, WTF?! I was glad they spoke English, though, and ordered one KFC Chicken, Fries, and spicy popcorn chicken. The KFC chicken tasted really weird, as it was heavily spiced and tasted like one of those chicken pieces I ate at a Taiwanese Fried Chicken place in Hangzhou...

The popcorn chicken, on the other hand, was outstanding. Was spicy and quite delicious. Most definitely better than the American version, hands down!

Yiwu is supposedly, one of the biggest trading cities in China--and in the world. That's why there are a lot of foreigners here. They are here to engage in trade and selling their wares here in China. I have yet to visit the International Trade Mart and Yiwu Market, but you can buy anything you want in this place. The largest commodities market in the world is here--if you're interested. It's a real shopper's paradise, btw...

There is a small amusement park in Yiwu, but the rides look really cheap and poorly maintained. Looks like a really lousy place to got to...

The reason I came to this city was because I wanted to do something over the holiday and to meet a girl that I met on a dating website. I hope the date goes well...
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 16th, 2020, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Ghost wrote:You got multiple days off for Mid-Autumn Festival? Dammit, I only got one day off! :)

It's always great to see new Chinese cities and do some new things, eat at new places. I have multiple KFCs here in this city though, haha. The "burgers" I can find are almost always weird. Although recently I just happened to stumble upon a place that had real hamburgers and pizza with tomato sauce...

How many cities have you been to in China, Zboy? I've been to 5 so far. I'm still content with where I am though, for now.
I'm lucky then because there is this Korean Pizzza place near the hotel I'm staying that serves a pretty good facsimile of New York Style Pizza, haha! And yeah, I got the whole week off. (sweet!)

I've only been to Hanzhou, Pujiang, and Yiwu. Maybe next time I will check out Shanghai during next break. That would be fun, but I would feel strange going by myself, though.

What city do you live in, Ghost? You can PM me if you don't feel comfortable broadcasting it out loud on the forum. I can understand wanting some privacy in your life...
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Well done for staying out of trouble. I've seen some stupid stuff in Asia but my golden rule is never to get involved.

Just remember we foreigners don't really care about losing face, so just walk away.

I love those Korean topoki things, but it's hard to find places that don't make them stupidly hot.

KFC is pretty awful in China, but in Thailand they do some really good dishes.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Re: Trip report--Yiwu, China

Post by kai1275 »

zboy1 wrote:Since it's the Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival, I decided to take a trip to Yiwu, China for a few days...

These are my first impressions of the city:

I was surprised to see so many foreigners in this city; there is a large Korean community here along with a large African and Chinese Muslim/Middle Eastern presence here. Not many Americans/Canadians or Europeans though.

The city is a lot cleaner than Hangzhou or Pujiang in my opinion. It's a pretty pleasant place to be, actually. The air is cleaner here and also, the surrounding Yiwu river (although heavily polluted like most Chinese rivers) and the surrounding mountains make it a picturesque place.

The city was a lot more cosmopolitan than I expected. Like i mentioned before, lot's of foreigners here and there's lots of good ethnic restaurants here--especially Middle Eastern and Korean. I had dinner at a nice Middle Eastern place--and ate at many Korean restaurants here, so it was like a Godsend to me, especially since I was getting a little tired of eating nothing but Chinese food, LOL.

There is a large Korean community here in Yiwu; My hotel is located near the large Korean neighborhood. And as I mentioned before, there are a large number of Chinese Muslims/Middle Easterners and Africans in the city.

I did have one unfortunate racist experience here: I was eating at a Korean restaurant and one obnoxious Chinese male with two Chinese females entered the restaurant and looked to be taunting the Korean restaurant hostess and making fun of Korean culture I think (wasn't too sure, but I think that was what the group was talking about).

The male then turned to me to point at something that I was eating. That was when my New Yorker F**k OFF attitude kicked-in overtime, but then the better part of valor got a hold of me...I knew if I kicked the guys a**--I might risk getting my Visa in trouble or I might get in trouble with the Chinese authorities, so I backed off. I did stare at the them for a while, but that was all I did.

Anyway, on to more positive aspects of my trip: I did get to eat at a Chinese Kentucky Fried Chicken for the first time. Weird menu--especially the KFC burger? I mean, WTF?! I was glad they spoke English, though, and ordered one KFC Chicken, Fries, and spicy popcorn chicken. The KFC chicken tasted really weird, as it was heavily spiced and tasted like one of those chicken pieces I ate at a Taiwanese Fried Chicken place in Hangzhou...

The popcorn chicken, on the other hand, was outstanding. Was spicy and quite delicious. Most definitely better than the American version, hands down!

Yiwu is supposedly, one of the biggest trading cities in China--and in the world. That's why there are a lot of foreigners here. They are here to engage in trade and selling their wares here in China. I have yet to visit the International Trade Mart and Yiwu Market, but you can buy anything you want in this place. The largest commodities market in the world is here--if you're interested. It's a real shopper's paradise, btw...

There is a small amusement park in Yiwu, but the rides look really cheap and poorly maintained. Looks like a really lousy place to got to...

The reason I came to this city was because I wanted to do something over the holiday and to meet a girl that I met on a dating website. I hope the date goes well...
See! I told you Chinese do not love Koreans. Just because young people love KPop music and Korean Idols, does not mean everyone there likes them. Good job on keeping your cool though. They only know you are Korean if you tell them, or hang out with many other Koreans, like in those large vacation tours. Now you know better.

Anyway I hope your date goes well. You don't have to go to Shanghai alone ya know. Get some dates setup! Doesnt have to be serious. By now no one needs to show you where the penis goes.....

:wink: lol
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

@zboy1,

I told you that you were Black: all ready to fight and s.hit with a mini-belly from all the fried chicken you had consumed stateside (just kidding). LOLLLL #asphyxiating

Just kidding. But seriously, as long as he didn't put his hand in your food, just save face, guy. Just save face.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

The date went well...I'm happy I picked this particular girl because she speaks pretty good English. At least I can communicate with her, unlike a lot of other Chinese girls here...and another positive--she was very wary of "putting out" on the first date, which is an excellent sign to me, because it tells me she isn't some kind of tramp or whore screwing around with other men...

And I know some of you guys on HA like those kind of women, but not me; not that I'm criticizing anyone or anything, I think everyone has their own tastes and preferences, which is interesting.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

zboy1 wrote:The date went well...I'm happy I picked this particular girl because she speaks pretty good English. At least I can communicate with her, unlike a lot of other Chinese girls here...and another positive--she was very wary of "putting out" on the first date, which is an excellent sign to me, because it tells me she isn't some kind of tramp or whore screwing around with other men...

And I know some of you guys on HA like those kind of women, but not me; not that I'm criticizing anyone or anything, I think everyone has their own tastes and preferences, which is interesting.
Not always, Zboy1. Sometimes it's a good indicator when they hold off on putting out. I have been in monogamous long-term relationships with women whom had given it up to me on the first date.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
zboy1 wrote:The date went well...I'm happy I picked this particular girl because she speaks pretty good English. At least I can communicate with her, unlike a lot of other Chinese girls here...and another positive--she was very wary of "putting out" on the first date, which is an excellent sign to me, because it tells me she isn't some kind of tramp or whore screwing around with other men...

Not always, Zboy1. Sometimes it's a good indicator when they hold off on putting out. I have been in monogamous long-term relationships with women whom had given it up to me on the first date.
That's because you showed them your co.ck under the dinner table. That is cheating. LOL!

I agree with Irizarry but I understood what you meant Zboy1. I'm pretty sure you knew better than that. Only time will tell. I'm glad it was a good date.