Xiongmao and Falcon in Pattaya!

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.

Where DID Falcon go?

Beer bar
No votes
Gogo bar
No votes
Arab bar
33%
Disco
67%
Back to his hotel room to write some C++
No votes

Total votes: 3
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Xiongmao and Falcon in Pattaya!

Post by xiongmao »

So I thought I'd do a little write up on Xiongmao and Falcon's trip to Pattaya, Thailand. Falcon had never been there before, and I've been there twice and had experienced all kinds of awesome :oops:.

This time, Falcon and I were only there for less than 24 hours, so not much happened.

Or did it?

We were there precisely 20 minutes when we saw a whole load of ambulances and police cars racing down Beach Road.

My sister sent me a message later to tell me that a ferry had sunk off of Pattaya, and at least 6 people had died.

Welcome to Thailand.

Anyway, we travelled light and had no problem finding a hotel room. We stayed at some place run by a former US soldier (marine?) who'd made the place for service personnel (well guys) who wanted some R&R.

Kind of funny to see a NO LADYBOYS sign in reception. Later in the trip I saw a NO ARABS sign in a bar, but I've never seen a NO FARANGS sign!!!

Well anyway it was OK and our chances of finding a Pattaya hotel run by and for geeks was probably remote.

My room was massive and it had a baby gecko in it - that's the cutest thing I've seen for a while.

So I took Falcon for a walk around to see the places I remembered from before. We walked the entire length of Beach Road. The construction works are nearly finished, but goodness knows if they'll ever connect up the light fittings.

We had dinner at a fish and chip shop, except that the food was Indian. That was kind of weird. The food was very much Indian, British style. But for 150 baht for a set menu of 6 different items it was amazing.

After that we hit Walking Street and went our separate ways. I'm not sure where Falcon went. Maybe he went in here:

:lol:

I heard about a bar with a decent show and it was decent. Think Britney in that MTV performance when she had the snake round her neck. It was sexy, but somewhere you could take a girlfriend who likes to sample some of the wilder things in life.

This bar was also memorable as the dancers could slide down fireman's poles onto the stage. An awesome sight.

After that I went in search of much cheaper beer. So I went to my favourite bar. I was overjoyed to see that the girl I fell in love with last time recognised me. Well it was fun in there but I had to buy a lady drink, then some lady food, and my lady was more interested in the guy next to me who was throwing money on the floor.

So I went to a third bar. This place has a reputation but I've never been hassled by the ladies there. I sat next to a European guy who was celebrating his divorce from his farang wife. I bet he went condo shopping the next day!

I had an awesome night, but most of the beer I bought was 65 baht - contrast that with a minimum of 120 baht in Bangkok.

My bill for the night out must have been around $30. And I saw some things.

As to Pattaya, it's a great place for a legendary night out, whatever your tastes in nightlife are.

More and more people are choosing to live there as well. Most noteably Russians and working class Brits.

I swear the whole time I was in Pattaya that I didn't see a single person from Southern England. Pattaya is for working class Northerners, kind of like Torquay but with less crime.

Well for the Brits they've got their own TV channels, farang food, non-stop sunshine and all the home comforts that you'd find in Blackpool.

We saw loads of German restaurants, but I only saw two Germans. Weird.

After the boat sinking incident, health and safely was very much in my mind. So after being back in Bangkok precisely 20 minutes what do we see but a woman falling off a bus.

If you come here, please be exceedingly careful!

I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

NO comments? Where are you guys?

Anyway, tonight a minor night out in Bangkok has turned into one of the craziest nights out I can [just about] remember.

I popped in for a quick drink on the way home...

6 hours later, I am home.

Picked a good night to go to this particular bar as a couple of Indian guys rang the bell a couple of times... so they had to buy *everyone* in the bar a drink.

Suffice to say I participated, and - well, what a memorable night.

Turns out that two of the waitresses in this bar are ladyboys, and another is well [very] underage. Ha ha ha, welcome to Bangkok.

Anyway, I proceed to drink said ladyboys under the table, but they dispatch me to 7-11 for emergency water and they come back stronger than ever before. Damn.

Kind of stunned that the ladyboys totally fooled me. Ah, what the hell, they were just awesome on the dance floor, even if their taste in music was horrendous.

What's the moral of this story? Well if you want to piss your money up the wall, then come here. And if you think you can spot ladyboys, yeah, good luck with that.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Post by Voice of Reason »

I'll never forget Pattaya, the first time I ever went overseas.

So many fond memories...

Have you ever been to that island?
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Voice of Reason wrote:I'll never forget Pattaya, the first time I ever went overseas.

So many fond memories...

Yuck! Pattaya is nice...minus the bar girls, hookers and foreigners rampaging through the place. I much prefer somewhere like Koh Samui than Pattaya any day...
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Post by Voice of Reason »

zboy1 wrote:
Voice of Reason wrote:I'll never forget Pattaya, the first time I ever went overseas.

So many fond memories...

Yuck! Pattaya is nice...minus the bar girls, hookers and foreigners rampaging through the place. I much prefer somewhere like Koh Samui than Pattaya any day...
It's a bit different the experience if you go there as your first time ever overseas, than as a seasoned traveler. I don't really like Pattaya myself, but I still have memories. I'd prefer to be in BKK or Chiang Mai (I've never been to Koh Samui).
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

I liked Pattaya when I was there about 8 years ago. I thought the girls looked nice, and it is the only town where I was regularly physically dragged into places by girls. Obviously they mainly wanted my money, but I got the feeling they thought I was genuinely physically attractive. I suppose I am compared to walrus-like 60 year old English and German sexpats. But I couldn't believe they let Western women into a town like that. Surely there must be some kind of law.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Great trip report. The town is a fascinating one-of-a-kind place where people come from all over the world. There were lots of Russian, Turkish, Iranian, and even African tourists roaming the streets.

The hotel guy was a tough US military veteran with tattoos and surgical implants in his skull. I almost thought we just arrived at the military barracks!

One of the places I went into was for the Japanese, and I chatted with a girl who's definitely a cute, attractive Winston-type lady.

And hunky Eastern Europeans were everywhere!

This really is a very idiosyncratic place.
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Post by travelsouth »

I've got to go with zboy on this. I've never visited Pattaya precisely because all the reports suggest the beach is trash and the place is designed for guys looking for hookers. I'm sure there are some hot girls and the sex is cheap, but unless you are looking for that I don't see the allure.

For me the allure of a guys night out includes nightlife and beautiful women that aren't asking for money in exchange for sex. I don't judge though. I have no problems with what guys do in Pattaya. I just think everybody should be aware of what the place is. You aren't looking for a serious relationship or even a casual hook-up in Pattaya. It is a customer-hooker environment. Mostly poor isaan girls from what I can tell.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yes it's mostly a place for farangs with tattoos to hook up with poor Issan girls with tattoos.

Things are changing though and they're trying to turn it into a family resort. Although with a poor beach and poor safety standards I'm not sure where that's going. A Russian kid died on that boat.

Pattaya is also attracting growing numbers of British retirees, including many couples. While they're not interested in the sex tourism, they sure like the low prices, cheap condos and non-stop sunshine.

And I like the prices in Pattaya. I was paying 65 baht for a beer in a bar there whereas it's a minimum of 110 in Bangkok. Plus foot massages (a good benchmark as you can see the prices everywhere) are 50% more expensive in Bangkok!