The Little Chicken

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Erik Episcopo
Freshman Poster

The Little Chicken

Post by Erik Episcopo »

When I began teaching in Taiwan, I had of wild and crazy students. One of my most rambunctious rascals was named Theo.

"One kid, named Theo, was to first to notice me. He walked up to me and without saying a word pulled down his pants and pointed below his abdomen, “This is my little chicken!â€￾ he declared enthusiastically. I was stunned. There was nothing in the training manual about this! Is it normal for kids here to just pull their pants down on a whim? What is the protocol for this?

Luckily, I was saved by one of the assistant Chinese teachers. It is common in most schools to provide their foreign teachers with a native co-teacher to help out in situations such as these. She quickly scolded the boy and apologized for his behavior.

I asked her what he meant by “little chicken.â€￾ She explained that in Chinese a man’s privates are informally referred to as a “little chicken.â€￾ This was my first impression of teaching in a foreign country and all my previous expectations of what teaching would be like began crumble after that."

More Crazy Student Stories

Have you had any psychotic students?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

sea_dragon
Freshman Poster

Post by sea_dragon »

Teaching English to little kids seems like a nightmare.
Erik Episcopo
Freshman Poster

Post by Erik Episcopo »

haha Sometimes it can be, but other times it's great. It really depends on the class
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 21st, 2020, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matthewcoury
Freshman Poster

Re: The Little Chicken

Post by matthewcoury »

Erik Episcopo
Freshman Poster

Post by Erik Episcopo »

Yeah, some of my students were insane... although it is quite funny at times
KokujinKrusader
Freshman Poster

Post by KokujinKrusader »

Teaching little kids is a drag just about everywhere. I would assume that teaching them a foreign language in a foreign land, especially when they get the idea that they don't have to take you seriously is even worse.

I much prefer teaching adults, or at least high school kids.
Grand Admiral Game taught me how to improve my mindset in order to achieve the success that I wanted in life!