Ladislav in Brazil

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Ladislav in Brazil

Post by ladislav »

I am in Brazil.

Decided to take a cheap overnight redeye from Palm Springs. Only $658 round trip -- to check out the place. Why not? No job, can' t fly to the PH, so why the heck not?

I am now in Sao Paulo. The place looks very sad because of the covid. No tourists. But kind of cheap. This room is in the center and costs only $ 14 58.

First impression: Mexico City appears to be in better shape than Sao Paulo. Here in Sao Paulo, the infrastructure is not as good. Parts of it remind me of the old part of downtown LA. Have not seen it all but looks kind of old- ish.

The immigration was fast. Virtually no foreigners coming in. 90 days on arrival.

In the part of town I am in, there are a lot of poor people, and folks sleeping on the street. Then, you can spot the poor by the way they stoop, the dimness of the stare, the way they just carry themselves. Just resignation basically.

Well, where else can I get a suite for $14 a night? Now is no time for luxury when I have no job and am trying to save. I am lucky I am not one of those people so should be grateful.

These past few months, I've been studying Portuguese by myself, and completed some 60 hours of self-study. It's not easy. Very slurry, and kind of meowing-like. It sounds like Russian or Polish. Sh-zh-r-zh-sh-r. Have been making sentences bit by bit. So weird listening to myself speak it. They speak fast here, and my ears are not used to it yet.

My mother listened to it and said that Portuguese sounds like a Polish person speaking Spanish.

From what I see around, and in Latin America in general, there is no dynamism of Asia here. None of the same economic energy as in say, Cambodia or the Philippines, none of the same enthusiasm. There is this lethargy that Asia doesn't have.

Also, the number of beautiful women in SE Asia is still just staggering compared to L. America. No matter what anybody says.
Ukraine is the only country that I know that can compete with SE Asia in the %% of gorgeous ladies everywhere.

Here, they look OK, but they don't take my breath away.

Uber here is not cheap. A bit lower than the US, but still expensive. From the airport to Sao Paulo center, it cost me $76. About the same as it would in the US. Either that, or the guy goofed up.

Went to the corner store at night to get some groceries, cheese, ham, milk, bread, some snacks and it was less than $5.

Will see what the future days bring.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Ladislav in Brazil

Post by Tsar »

ladislav wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 2:03 am

Also, the number of beautiful women in SE Asia is still just staggering compared to L. America. No matter what anybody says.
Ukraine is the only country that I know that can compete with SE Asia in the %% of gorgeous ladies everywhere.

One of the reasons why I never really had a thing for Latina girls. Some pure Europeans like Kirylam who are South American are the exception for me but pure European girls in South America are not Latinas.

European Girls are 1st for me and Central + East Asian Girls are 2nd.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

ladislav wrote:

That's good to know.

Thanks for you trip report and a happy New Year.
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Good read! Keep posting your Brazil insights.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

So which place has less covid bullshit, Mexico City or Sao Paulo? I want to move to some place with minimum covid bullshit. I was in Tijuana recently and the covid bullshit was intolerable. I am thinking of visiting Costa Rica this month to see how it is there.
Guhji
Freshman Poster

Post by Guhji »

ladislav wrote:
I am in Brazil.

Decided to take a cheap overnight redeye from Palm Springs. Only $658 round trip -- to check out the place. Why not? No job, can' t fly to the PH, so why the heck not?

I am now in Sao Paulo. The place looks very sad because of the covid. No tourists. But kind of cheap. This room is in the center and costs only $ 14 58.

First impression: Mexico City appears to be in better shape than Sao Paulo. Here in Sao Paulo, the infrastructure is not as good. Parts of it remind me of the old part of downtown LA. Have not seen it all but looks kind of old- ish.

The immigration was fast. Virtually no foreigners coming in. 90 days on arrival.

In the part of town I am in, there are a lot of poor people, and folks sleeping on the street. Then, you can spot the poor by the way they stoop, the dimness of the stare, the way they just carry themselves. Just resignation basically.

Well, where else can I get a suite for $14 a night? Now is no time for luxury when I have no job and am trying to save. I am lucky I am not one of those people so should be grateful.

These past few months, I've been studying Portuguese by myself, and completed some 60 hours of self-study. It's not easy. Very slurry, and kind of meowing-like. It sounds like Russian or Polish. Sh-zh-r-zh-sh-r. Have been making sentences bit by bit. So weird listening to myself speak it. They speak fast here, and my ears are not used to it yet.

My mother listened to it and said that Portuguese sounds like a Polish person speaking Spanish.

From what I see around, and in Latin America in general, there is no dynamism of Asia here. None of the same economic energy as in say, Cambodia or the Philippines, none of the same enthusiasm. There is this lethargy that Asia doesn't have.

Uber here is not cheap. A bit lower than the US, but still expensive. From the airport to Sao Paulo center, it cost me $76. About the same as it would in the US. Either that, or the guy goofed up.

Went to the corner store at night to get some groceries, cheese, ham, milk, bread, some snacks and it was less than $5.

Will see what the future days bring.
"Also, the number of beautiful women in SE Asia is still just staggering"

I know a lot of white guys prefer SE Asian women over E Asian women. As a Korean, my impression of Filipinas, Thais etc. has always been that they're small, brown, and stumpy. Whereas a lot of Korean women are tall, leggy, and busty-comparatively speaking, of course. They're just far more attractive, on average. Just my opinion.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

One of the most problematic things here in Brazil is having a SIM card as a non citizen. They have a regulation whereby you need to activate the card by providing your CPF which is like their SSN. I went to several stores and they told me to go to the company offices. I went to several and they said they'd run out of cards and some said they can't activate for a foreigner. But you need to go to this branch, they do it there. I go to another branch and these say they don't do it and I need to go someplace else. And so on.
Not very friendly customer service. Some of their clerks act like they are doing you a favor and glare at you while talking down to you. I could hear them speak in a regal-speaking-to-a-serf way to other customers, too.
Even in Saudi Arabia the service was better and the personnel was way more polite. This is probably the rudest I was ever treated as a customer except maybe in Thailand. Even in Russia, they were less overbearing.
"Don't you want to help a tourist?"
"Sao Paulo is not a touristy city. There is nothing good here, was the answer".
Anyway, I finally got a card from a magazine stand. but now I need to have it activated. So, I will just head to the company offices on another day. They promised they would activate it with a passport.
I don't trust them on their word.
The magazine stand's owner was checking the money I gave him and said it looked fake. WTF? I had to ask my taxi driver to go and talk to him and only after that he accepted the money. The bill was too large so he was hesitant.
In the meantime, I must declare that I am happy with my Skyroam hot spot " puck". It works pretty good and I can just use WhatsApp and FB messenger on my phone. If I can't have a Brazilian card, so be it.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

fschmidt wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 10:04 am
So which place has less covid bullshit, Mexico City or Sao Paulo? I want to move to some place with minimum covid bullshit. I was in Tijuana recently and the covid bullshit was intolerable. I am thinking of visiting Costa Rica this month to see how it is there.
Brazil now requires a test, and people have to wear masks. So, no hiding from it. Mexico's saving grace is that you don't need a test to enter and restrictions vary by state. And if there is some emergency, you can take the bus home. And your visa is 6 months. Not 3 months. And you are only allowed to stay 6 months in a year in Brazil. So take Mexico still.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I know a lot of white guys prefer SE Asian women over E Asian women. As a Korean, my impression of Filipinas, Thais etc. has always been that they're small, brown, and stumpy. Whereas a lot of Korean women are tall, leggy, and busty-comparatively speaking, of course. They're just far more attractive, on average. Just my opinion.
Most NE Asian women ( almost all of them actually) do not like foreigners and also, are very looks, height,profession, class age and status/income conscious. SE Asians are much more available. And they look hot. NE Asians look cold.

Plus the word gets around that they don't like Americans except for some rare cases.

And also you don't see a neighbor married to one, but you see neighbors married to cute Filipinas and Thais so a guy says, "Hey let me go and get one too."
Guhji
Freshman Poster

Post by Guhji »

ladislav wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 2:41 pm
Most NE Asian women ( almost all of them actually) do not like foreigners and also, are very looks, height,profession, class age and status/income conscious. SE Asians are much more available. And they look hot. NE Asians look cold.

Plus the word gets around that they don't like Americans except for some rare cases.

And also you don't see a neighbor married to one, but you see neighbors married to cute Filipinas and Thais so a guy says, "Hey let me go and get one too."
Fair enough. I always look forward to reading your posts. Stay safe.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Guhji wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 12:17 pm
Korean women have overbearing personalities like all middle class women.

Not all Filipinas are short. I've seen some that are 5'8'', 110 lbs. with hair down to their ass. You'll change your religion to catholic when you see them.
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

I have seen and met Filipinas in hotels on the reception in places like Malaysia and Singapore - yeah, they're nice! I like East Asians though... I was in Colombia two years ago and was underwhelmed by what was there - I had no idea
what the hype was about though there were obviously nice looking women there - we all have our types I suppose but Colombia was full of women with big fat arses and shit tattoos so give me Asia any day of the week...
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

ladislav wrote:
Also, the number of beautiful women in SE Asia is still just staggering compared to L. America.
Even for men who prefer curves?
djeanp7898
Freshman Poster

Post by djeanp7898 »

I'm here in Brazil right now.

Other than the cheap airfare, I'm curious as to why you chose Sao Paulo over Rio, especially since it's summer here. I'm not sure if you've been to Brazil before, but I recommend Rio for newbies because of the social atmosphere and the beaches. Also, you have more people who speak English here. Ubers are dirt cheap, and the women here are fantastic.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

djeanp7898 wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 3:34 am
I'm here in Brazil right now.

Other than the cheap airfare, I'm curious as to why you chose Sao Paulo over Rio, especially since it's summer here. I'm not sure if you've been to Brazil before, but I recommend Rio for newbies because of the social atmosphere and the beaches. Also, you have more people who speak English here. Ubers are dirt cheap, and the women here are fantastic.
You got it. Flying directly into Rio would have been expensive. Anyway, I wanted to hang out and just check the place out. Had some tours, walked around, not terribly impressed. The place looks kind of stagnant.
As far as the actual citizens. There appears to be a sizeable Italian influence just like in Argentina. And parts of Sao Paulo remind me of Brooklyn
The people are not as mean here, though but they still look mistrustful of strangers and just busy and stressed out. And if you just took a street block and see how many pretty girls there are at any given time, you will not be impressed. Not that many. Unlike in Manila where you just take any given square of 100M X100m, and you will see quite a few girls in it who are cute. A bit less so in Cambodia but here, it's like one 10th. I have gone for days without seeing even one pretty lady. But lots and lots of men. Kind of like NY.
People are telling me to go to Rio and that it is better there, fair enough. I will see how different the whole thing is there. But I doubt it can beat the Philippines or Ukraine. Time will show. If all goes well, I plan to leave SP by the end of this week.
I am here to spend some time, look around, visit a Buddhist temple etc. I am going to be 61 this year so I am not as horny and not as on the prowl. I'm just cool and enjoy staying at the hotel studying Portuguese.