I went to Colombia in 2022

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
florida johny
Freshman Poster

I went to Colombia in 2022

Post by florida johny »

A friend of mine went also and knew his way around Medellin. We stayed near Poblado in a good neighborhood.
There was a modern 6 story mall, The food court had mediocre food. The restaurants in the neighbor hood were better and cost maybe 30 percent or less of
what they would in USA. The food was good but not as good as in Thailand. I liked the food better than Costa Rica. The women looked good but I prefer the Asian look.
I saw an Art Museum in El Centro that seemed like a rough part of town. I told the guide I wanted to leave that area before dark. We then took a cab to a recreated old village on a hillside with traditional food on an outdoor balcony. We also saw a scenic overlook. On another day I paid the guide to take me on a commuter train to the cable cars up to the mountains that were about 2000 feet above Medellin. Medellin itself is about 3 to 4000 feet above sea level. We went on a Saturday so it was not over crowded. We went to Pablo Escabar's old neighborhood which is now a tourist trap up on the Mountains. The guide said the police killed Escobar. She said one day about 12 or 15 years ago hundreds of police went into his neighborhood for a meeting with the people and said they know they have illegal weapons and are working for Escabar . The police told them if they do not turn in the guns in a certain number of days they will come back and kill everyone. They did not turn them in and the police came back with helicopter gunships and strafed the neighbor hood with machine guns. The Columbia gov says only 10 people were killed and 150 wounded but the guide said at least 300 or more people died. The guide was a female in her 30s that my friend knows so I just hung out with her when I could. She expressed interest in me and I took her out to dinner a couple of times. I was in Colombia about 5 nights. It is a short plane ride from where I live.
Although the people were fairly polite I got a gut feeling that some areas are still dangerous. My friend and I went in a big grocery store in the mall called Jumbos and it seamed a lot cheaper than in the USA and the stuff in it looked like good quality. In the neighbor hood besides Colombian food there were burger places and Italian and Steak places. If I did not have my friend to tell me where to stay and go my first trip may have not turned out well. They also used to have a girl put Skopamine in tourists drink which would zombiefy them so they could rob them, Sometimes it would kill them. I have heard most young women will not sleep with a man in Colombia until they know them better. Even if it is a fellow Colombian. Also they tend to go to bars in groups. Even men will go with a group of friends. So it can be dangerous to go alone to a bar. It will make you stick out as a tourist. If you are 40 or 50 beware of a super hot chick meeting you and wanting to go to your hotel, It could be a set up for a robbery. Prostitution is legal there for hookers that are 18 or older but if that is your game it is better to go to a guest friendly hotel where they will make the girl sign in and hold her drivers license until you are finished.