Time Loops

Discuss conspiracies, mysteries and paranormal phenomena.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Time Loops

Post by Pixel--Dude »

I was watching an episode of The Twilight Zone the other day and it had an interesting concept which has been used throughout countless TV shows and movies. The idea of a time loop in these kinds of movies is the day or specified amount of time resets when a certain condition is met, such as a death of a character or a clock reaching a certain time, the loop starts again, possibly with one or more characters retaining the memories from the previous loop.

I have been thinking of this concept a lot recently and I wanted to ask your opinions and share some ideas about it.

Is a time loop possible? I know with our current understanding of physics, which I believe is actually more limited than we like to admit, the idea of a time loop is merely something restricted to sci-fi and fiction. But I read this about it: "Yes, but no. Closed Time-like Curves (CTC) are, theoretically a valid solution in General Relativity. But, like wormholes, they probably require some sort of exotic matter with negative mass that cannot exist as far as we know." I'm not sure about any if this. What do you think @galii? Does this have a modicum of credibility or is the idea stupid? I admit that I'm neutral to the idea and have never given it any serious thought.

What would you do if you were stuck in a day that just repeated itself over and over again? This is a popular trope in this kind of movie. Usually the main character attempts to make some significant change or achieve some kind of goal which ends the time loop. But what if you finally got the girl to fall in love with you and then the day reset anyway? Indefinitely. Forever. Admit it, would you consider lowering yourself to horrific behaviour? Technically there would be no consequences anyway. The girl didn't fall in love with you after repeated attempts as the day resets, would you consider rape? Lol. What about a GTA style slaughter?

These are acts we wouldn't consider normally. And I'm not saying that if there were no police we would automatically consider such depraved behaviour. Anyone with any decency or sense knows that these kinds of actions are absolutely deplorable, even if there would be no legal consequences. What I'm asking is, if you were in a time loop for an indefinite amount of time would it ever cross your mind, do you think? Because technically there would be no consequences, the people you affected negatively would be fine when the loop restarts. I've asked myself this question before and I honestly don't know what i would be capable of once mental instability and insanity starts kicking in. When you've attempted to do something or learn something or achieve a goal from the loop and it always resets without fail, what extremes do you think you might go to?

Another question I have regarding time loops and whether they exist or not is: Do you think we could already be living in one? We imagine time to be a linear and chronological movement from start to finish, especially here in the west. We imagine a definite beginning of time and we perceive that one day it will all end. For example Christians like @MrMan believe the universe began with God creating it and will end on the day of judgement. Atheists might believe there was the Big Bang and eventually some kind of end to things that is caused as randomly as it starts.

I'd like to propose a different theory, the theory that we could already be living in a time loop. Imagine if the reality of time is that it is a loop like how a clock is designed with no set start or end. Where the end becomes the beginning and it keeps going indefinitely. This is an Eastern conception of time, that it is cyclical, recurrent and infinite. If this true then time as we imagine it doesn't exist as a linear path, that's just how we measure it.

The point here is that I'm asking you to imagine what if we are living in a time loop, each of us our own. Where the moment you die the tunnel of light is you experiencing birth again and the loop is reset with your memories vanishing the moment you come into the world. This could explain people who have past life memories or really bad deja vu. Imagine this recurring loop left echoes of other people's time loops like a multiverse of people experiencing their lives again and again and again. If this happened to be a reality the loop wouldn't be confined to a day, but just to your lifetime. Resetting every time you die.

Imagine...

@Lucas88
@Winston
@MarcosZeitola
@publicduende
@WanderingProtagonist
@Natural_Born_Cynic
@yick
@kangarunner
@fschmidt
@gsjackson
@Yohan
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
galii
Experienced Poster

Re: Time Loops

Post by galii »

I think in the grand scheme of things everything is possible. What I would do I don't know. Take into account we are never the same person anyway. Probably the concept of being a person is doubtful. This reminds me of a guy who finds the genie bottle and expects to be granted wishes. The genie says that was in the past. After waiting 3000 years I promised to beat the guy who opens the the bottle.

We are just wind in the air.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Time loops-- do I think they are possible? No. History repeats itself in a sense because different people (or the same people) do the same sort of thing over and over, but it isn't exactly the same every time.

Raping or murder someone on a time loop? Well, no. Aside from human empathy and compassion, internal morals, etc., I also believe God sees me wherever I am, so He'd remember the rape on the previous day. And in these time loop movies, at some point the loop stops. What if, instead of stopping when the protagonist got the girlfriend, it ends when he is convicted of a crime? He fails the test and ends up in prison or executed, and the poor girl has the emotional scars, the kids miss their father, etc.

But it would be cool if a day repeated when the protagonist and his wife were both horny and had plenty of time, so he wakes up to a horny wife, and there is none of this "I'm still a little sore from last night" stuff to deal with. :) Go for it twice or more and be totally recharged the next day (if that' s an issue.) He also doesn't have to throw snowballs and have the whole town praise him and try to woo a woman all day like in groundhog day. I've seen several movies with the Groundhog day premise, too. The last one I saw was a Christmas movie on streaming. It looked like it might be a Hallmark movie, but the description said it had a time loop, so I watched it. Because of the time loop, it was okay, and not a lame two dimensional Hallmark movie (have you actually seen one of those?

Time loop day would be cool if one is on a low carb diet. If you know it's time loop day, you can eat fries and doughnuts for a day.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
January 27th, 2024, 4:43 am
I was watching an episode of The Twilight Zone the other day and it had an interesting concept which has been used throughout countless TV shows and movies. The idea of a time loop in these kinds of movies is the day or specified amount of time resets when a certain condition is met, such as a death of a character or a clock reaching a certain time, the loop starts again, possibly with one or more characters retaining the memories from the previous loop.

I have been thinking of this concept a lot recently and I wanted to ask your opinions and share some ideas about it.

Is a time loop possible? I know with our current understanding of physics, which I believe is actually more limited than we like to admit, the idea of a time loop is merely something restricted to sci-fi and fiction. But I read this about it: "Yes, but no. Closed Time-like Curves (CTC) are, theoretically a valid solution in General Relativity. But, like wormholes, they probably require some sort of exotic matter with negative mass that cannot exist as far as we know." I'm not sure about any if this. What do you think @galii? Does this have a modicum of credibility or is the idea stupid? I admit that I'm neutral to the idea and have never given it any serious thought.

What would you do if you were stuck in a day that just repeated itself over and over again? This is a popular trope in this kind of movie. Usually the main character attempts to make some significant change or achieve some kind of goal which ends the time loop. But what if you finally got the girl to fall in love with you and then the day reset anyway? Indefinitely. Forever. Admit it, would you consider lowering yourself to horrific behaviour? Technically there would be no consequences anyway. The girl didn't fall in love with you after repeated attempts as the day resets, would you consider rape? Lol. What about a GTA style slaughter?

These are acts we wouldn't consider normally. And I'm not saying that if there were no police we would automatically consider such depraved behaviour. Anyone with any decency or sense knows that these kinds of actions are absolutely deplorable, even if there would be no legal consequences. What I'm asking is, if you were in a time loop for an indefinite amount of time would it ever cross your mind, do you think? Because technically there would be no consequences, the people you affected negatively would be fine when the loop restarts. I've asked myself this question before and I honestly don't know what i would be capable of once mental instability and insanity starts kicking in. When you've attempted to do something or learn something or achieve a goal from the loop and it always resets without fail, what extremes do you think you might go to?

Another question I have regarding time loops and whether they exist or not is: Do you think we could already be living in one? We imagine time to be a linear and chronological movement from start to finish, especially here in the west. We imagine a definite beginning of time and we perceive that one day it will all end. For example Christians like @MrMan believe the universe began with God creating it and will end on the day of judgement. Atheists might believe there was the Big Bang and eventually some kind of end to things that is caused as randomly as it starts.

I'd like to propose a different theory, the theory that we could already be living in a time loop. Imagine if the reality of time is that it is a loop like how a clock is designed with no set start or end. Where the end becomes the beginning and it keeps going indefinitely. This is an Eastern conception of time, that it is cyclical, recurrent and infinite. If this true then time as we imagine it doesn't exist as a linear path, that's just how we measure it.

The point here is that I'm asking you to imagine what if we are living in a time loop, each of us our own. Where the moment you die the tunnel of light is you experiencing birth again and the loop is reset with your memories vanishing the moment you come into the world. This could explain people who have past life memories or really bad deja vu. Imagine this recurring loop left echoes of other people's time loops like a multiverse of people experiencing their lives again and again and again. If this happened to be a reality the loop wouldn't be confined to a day, but just to your lifetime. Resetting every time you die.

Imagine...

@Lucas88
@Winston
@MarcosZeitola
@publicduende
@WanderingProtagonist
@Natural_Born_Cynic
@yick
@kangarunner
@fschmidt
@gsjackson
@Yohan
Could be..what your writing is fascinating stuff. I mean history repeats itself with different people in different times. People gets reincarnated and some even remember their past lifes and some people might come from diffrent planets or dimensions. Some might have to experience "life time" time loop as some "sort of punishment" or a chance to fix some wrongs and redeem themselves.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

@galii
@MrMan
@Natural_Born_Cynic

I saw this interesting short film on time loops and paradoxes yesterday and thought it was really good and well done. I wanted to share it with you guys and anyone else who might be interested.

You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
February 19th, 2024, 1:00 am
@galii
@MrMan
@Natural_Born_Cynic

I saw this interesting short film on time loops and paradoxes yesterday and thought it was really good and well done. I wanted to share it with you guys and anyone else who might be interested.

Omeleto films are well made. Two thumbs up on their production value.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Speaking of time loops they're associated with time travel, if they aren't already the same thing. I was wondering if there's a point in time you'd travel back to. You can choose any point in time you want. What would you do there?

What about if you can only travel back to a point of the past in your own life? What would you change?
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

If I had a time machine, I could take $1000, go back in time and put it in the bank yesterday, then come back to this morning and take out $2000 and put that in the bank the day before yesterday, then go back to a little later this morning and put $4000 in the bank.

In 14 trips, one could have well over $10 million. I would imagine money could become worthless if time travel were invented and made freely available. Then we could switch the gold and the earth would become too heavy.