The Law of Attraction - Great Revelation or New Age Snake Oil Scam?

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Re: The Law of Attraction - Great Revelation or New Age Snake Oil Scam?

Post by WorldTraveler »

There are zillions of manifestation Life Coaches now. Women seem to go for this more than men. In fact I know two women who are manifestation coaches. Manifestation and the Law of Attraction are a BIG LIE. You can not make things happen in your life by dreaming them into existence. I want to be a rock star, an NBA player, and have a beautiful girlfriend to become my wife. I have been practicing manifestation for a year now and I have not gotten any of these to come true. Why is that? I can't be a rock star, because I have no musical talent, even though I've been manifesting this for year. I can't play in the NBA or even get on college basketball team, because I'm only 5' 2". I can't get a beautiful girlfriend, because I am only 5'2", fat, and bald, but I have been manifesting this girlfriend for over a year now. See manifestation does not work.

Unfortunately people want an easy road to success. New Age provides them hope that if they believe they will achieve, which was basically the name of a book by Napoleon Hill who was one the early founders of this kind of thinking. When Wayne Dyer started writing in the early 1970s many people hated his first book "Your Erroneous Zones" because he was too cruel, the reviews said. He actually told people that the world is not fair and gave them techniques to change your feelings and accomplish your goals in life. So to gain wider acceptance for his books, each of his following books were less hard core and by his fourth book he was a New Age feel good guy, but he had gotten millions of people buying his books. Anthony Robbins deals in this feel good you can accomplish anything in life. I only read two of his books because they are not actionable. They may make you feel good, but they won't teach you how to accomplish your goals. PUA books were very similar. You'd learn a little and you'd be all fired up, but you went right back out there into the same cruel world you were just in, but with a more positive attitude.