For the guys that work over seas what do you do?

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

For the guys that work over seas what do you do?

Post by chanta76 »

I know for the most of the guys are ESL teachers..and a few depend on online business but what else. I know that having some computer skills maybe marketable or advance degree like MBA.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: For the guys that work over seas what do you do?

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah, teaching English is a good way of making money, and I started my CELTA course today so I can do that in future if I need to. If you can afford it and have the time to spare then do the CELTA as it opens a lot of doors.

Once my CELTA is finished I might go to Northern Europe and look for an IT job. Most people go overseas and try to scratch out a living. Well I do that but I worked throughout 2014 in London and made enough to live abroad for a long time. I've only just started looking, but Germany has some great opportunities.

I met all my CELTA classmates today - all already live in Barcelona, I am the only one who has come here specifically for the course. About 60% are all ready English teachers. 1 is an au pair (easier if you are female, but the pay is poor so it's not a great job anyway). A couple hustle and do bar work/whatever else they can find. I'd say most of the students are 25-40, and there are more females than males. Most have fairly similar personalities - Barcelona definitely attracts the more introverted arty type of expat.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

[/quote
chanta76 wrote:I know for the most of the guys are ESL teachers..and a few depend on online business but what else. I know that having some computer skills maybe marketable or advance degree like MBA.
There are plenty of youngish mid-level expats in cities like Singapore and Hong Kong (Edward Snowden types lol) and to a lessor degree Bangkok, Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, Taipei, etc. There are other niches too. Like in Pattaya, I noticed a lot of westerners and Russians working in real estate industry selling condos to expats and managing expat rentals. Perhaps Phuket is similar but with higher end more exclusive type clients.

Personally, I accumulated virtually all of my own assets and savings by working from bottom up in finance and banking in Taipei. I know others who've done the same thing.

Quite a few westerners I know worked in Taiwan's high tech industry when it was hot. Another white guy I knew was a manager in one of those logistics shipping companies on an expat package. He secured that position before 30.

Airking from this forum is a white guy who's worked many years in Taipei as a legal professional in a local company.

There are careers in accounting, finance, database management, law, various types of manufacturing, high tech industry, engineering, oil industry, and university teaching. One guy I knew in Thailand was on a sweet package working as an instructor at one of the better Bangkok universities.

You will also find many western entrepreneurs kicking about Asia, some very successful.

There's a lot more to working abroad than just teaching English if you are clever enough to research the hotter opportunities of the current time, prepare yourself adequately (technical skills, knowledge, and even language), and bust your butt getting out there to sell yourself and exploit one or more of the most attractive niches.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Rock,

If one wants to work overseas you would need a higher degree to land that like MBA or Phd depending on feild. I have two bachelor but work in real estate for years but its more hands on, I;m thinking of taking some programming classes on the side thinking it might give me some marketable skill set in the international market.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I've met quite a few expats here in Spain. One particularly outgoing guy makes a living by being an actor. You can do this in Japan or China (anyone seen Lost in Translation lol).

Programming isn't generally highly paid outside of Western countries, but I met a couple of expats in Bangkok who had niche engineering skills (more hardware based though).

Other than that just start an offline business - there are 1000's of Chinese in Barcelona doing exactly that, and many more locals putting up fliers for various services (those tear off things with phone numbers on).
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

xiongmao,

Offline businesss in Spain? I imagine for the CHinese business they target the Chinese population? Am I correct? Right now I work in real estate. I figure my best bet is to save as much money and when I'm older move my family to some other country later in life but the stress of living here gets to me. So the other choice get a skill or some sort of job that can fiance my move.

People all talk about ESL but I personally think that's limited but who knows. There is online business or online marketing..which I have to spend more time digging into.

The other choice is get a skill set that has international value. Some of you guys say just go overseas but in my situation I'm married so it's little different I have to take care of family. So I have to have a plan. I think the biggest reason why guys don't go overseas is money . I 'm little different from everyone else . Security is important..I understand people move overseas for freedom...but if your homeless whats the point.