Help me evaluate a marketing video

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Help me evaluate a marketing video

Post by Cornfed »

Here is an actual useful HA thing people can help me with. I'm investigating this marketing service. Suppose I was selling and e-book on the Mediterranean diet. Would a video like this be effective? How much would you expect to pay people to make videos like this?

Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Re: Help me evaluate a marketing video

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

The video is decent.
But It's hard for me to read the texts. You might want to make the text more readable and display the e-book at the end of the video just to show the audience what your selling. Also, offering freebies and some promotional discount will be good.

Well I would say $250-$400. My friend does freelance video editing and he gets similar amount to edit five to ten minute clips.
Could be lower if you outsource to a third world country. I can't guarantee the quality though.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
March 14th, 2023, 7:09 am
Well I would say $250-$400.
Hmmm, maybe I should forget the business and do that for a living.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Cornfed wrote:
March 14th, 2023, 7:28 am
Well that's the quote in the U.S far as I know. That money is not too cheap, not to expensive.
All you need is a Apple Computer, editing program which is Final cut Pro, do some mock projects, and post on freelancing website.
I don't know about New Zealand's market.. You try to tackle the U.S market. Much much bigger than your New Zealand Market.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

March 14th, 2023, 7:33 am
Cornfed wrote:
Well that's the quote in the U.S far as I know. That money is not too cheap, not to expensive.
All you need is a Apple Computer, editing program which is Final cut Pro, do some mock projects, and post on freelancing website.
I don't know about New Zealand's market.. You try to tackle the U.S market. Much much bigger than your New Zealand Market.
When you say editing, does he write the script, do the thumbnail art, do the uploading etc.?
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Cornfed wrote:
March 14th, 2023, 8:03 am
March 14th, 2023, 7:33 am
Cornfed wrote:
When you say editing, does he write the script, do the thumbnail art, do the uploading etc.?
Just editing the clips, adding some background music and minor touches. The client gives the script, art, unloading.
He is still doing it on the side, but I don't think jobs are plentiful for him because he is still not a pro and doesn't have a wide network of high paying clients. He did do couple for his school alumni and bunch of no name independent film makers. But the money is not bad. You are not going to be a millionaire soon just being a freelancer editor..
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

March 14th, 2023, 8:19 am
Just editing the clips, adding some background music and minor touches. The client gives the script, art, unloading.
So if you had a product to sell and wanted to pay a lump sum for someone to do the whole video and associated stuff, how much would you expect that to cost?
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Cornfed wrote:
March 14th, 2023, 8:24 am
So if you had a product to sell and wanted to pay a lump sum for someone to do the whole video and associated stuff, how much would you expect that to cost?
I don't know dude. I am just basing off my friend. But market price for small three min films like this would be $80-$200 depending on who your hiring. Noobs are bit cheaper. Third world coolies might be much cheaper.. That's all I know.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

The 'hook' at the beginning is okay. I think it would appeal to some hungry dieting woman. Some of the ads keep talking about how ugly, unwanted, unloved, etc. the fat person is without saying it in a blatant offensive way. Your script could hammer some of those points down. You could probably hammer on some of the emotional selling points a bit more.

It is cool that the artificial voices nowadays sound so real. But the lack of excitement a slightly robotic sound here and there tip me off to the fact that this is likely one of those artificial voices. It isn't that one man's voice they always play for most commercials. These artificial voices make me think I'm probably buying a product from a Chinaman who can't speak English, except this one doesn't have the grammatical errors that really tip one off that this is the case.

Can you not narrate it yourself, and fake an American accent? You never know. An authentic male Kiwi accent might actually be good for sales. On the other hand, some people are bad with accents and can't understand them, especially if they are older and a bit hard of hearing. There are fat baby boomers who are getting older and may not hear that well. Maybe you could split test it with you narrating, showing a bit of excitement in your voice, and maybe it would do well. You would be dealing with different variables-- a man talking about women being fat, the Kiwi accent, and your personal tone of voice. You might try to robot male voice to see if a man talking to a woman does well for this type of ad. If it's that same voice we hear on the ads with the bad Chinese grammar, then familiarity of the voice is another variable.

Are you able to target the ad just to women? If that is the case, the script is probably pretty good. If you end up with male viewers, you could leave the wording gender neutral. There are probably plenty of fat guys who would like to try the diet, too. You could do a second ad with a different script and buy male customers if Google or whatever ad platform you use lets you target viewers that narrowly.

If it converts well, please let us know.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

March 14th, 2023, 8:37 am
Cornfed wrote:
March 14th, 2023, 8:24 am
I don't know dude. I am just basing off my friend. But market price for small three min films like this would be $80-$200 depending on who your hiring. Noobs are bit cheaper. Third world coolies might be much cheaper.. That's all I know.
That's interesting. What site can you go to to have a video like this put together for that price? Do they use stock footage and voiceover?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

The purpose of the video was just to get a proof of concept. I wanted to see whether I could make a video that could plausibly be taken as professionally made and generate traffic in just a few minutes using only AI tools. It may not be perfect, but it seems you can indeed do that.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Cornfed wrote:
March 15th, 2023, 5:32 am
The purpose of the video was just to get a proof of concept. I wanted to see whether I could make a video that could plausibly be taken as professionally made and generate traffic in just a few minutes using only AI tools. It may not be perfect, but it seems you can indeed do that.
You can do it yourself without hiring anyone or hire some coolies.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

March 15th, 2023, 6:43 am
Cornfed wrote:
You can do it yourself without hiring anyone or hire some coolies.
Exactly, and it's so easy. I'm trying to persuade people to get into this before every man and his dog does.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Cornfed wrote:
Interesting and helpful. Do you mind sharing the software and steps you followed?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

MrMan wrote:
March 15th, 2023, 7:46 am
Cornfed wrote:
Interesting and helpful. Do you mind sharing the software and steps you followed?
I had a chat with ChatGPT-3. I got it to list some popular diets and then asked which appealed more to women and why. Then I got it to write a YouTube script based on the idea that I was selling an e-book to young and middle-aged American women. I got it to rewrite the script longer (it makes it short for some reason). I then went to Pictory, loaded the script after I'd removed the editing words, selected a template and voice and then generated the video.