Land Hacking

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
rudder
Junior Poster

Land Hacking

Post by rudder »

What do you all think of putting some fancy tents on a picturesque property and charging money for travellers to come and do glamping?
This guy has a pretty decent youtube channel.

Is anyone on this forum doing something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4W5kiSPPWI
rudder
Junior Poster

Re: Land Hacking

Post by rudder »

Why not to start a glamping business
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64B595X1SLo
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

I get the sense that these gurus are selling their courses and consulting and whatnot, because they've tried glamping and then realized what a hassle it is to clean out someone's poop bucket.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

It seems like how you would make well-situated property you already owned pay rather than something you would invest in from scratch.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Cornfed wrote:
June 23rd, 2023, 1:27 pm
It seems like how you would make well-situated property you already owned pay rather than something you would invest in from scratch.
I'm thinking about doing it in rural latin america. I own a very beautiful property with a good panorama of tall tropical rainforest mountains. Pretty unique site actually. It also has easy access to a creek. Also possible to gravity flow spring water to a tank near where I'd put the safari tents. Was thinking it would be better to keep it cheap and target locals. No need to invest a lot to target the occasional foreigner when the traffic here is almost exclusively locals going to a locally famous swimming hole. I'm amazed at the prices in the US like $125 per night to stay in someones tiny pod trailer outside Moab, UT.
I'd be lucky if I could get people to cough up $20 in this part of the world. The local latinos are pretty much all cheapskates and the foreign travellers are probably 90% hippy backpacker types. So cheaper is better in this context. The property isn't close to any gringo tourist hotspots, but I suppose there is still the possibility of targeting more biologist types such as bird watching groups.
glanmit
Freshman Poster

Post by glanmit »

Glamping is a great idea but for that you need a little bit more than a fence to do a proper glamping. First of all you need to build proper facilities (shower, toilet, kitchen maybe). For that i would contact stone coat countertops customer service probably. Besides that you need some proper tents and also lots of stuff for inside the tents to make them cozy. Normally i would expect a proper mattress inside the tent