What Are the Easiest Webpage Making Platforms?

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
rudder
Junior Poster

What Are the Easiest Webpage Making Platforms?

Post by rudder »

Can anyone versed in building websites give me some recommendations for the easiest WYSIWYG webpage making platforms?

I have a friend who has helped me out over the years, who swears by wordpress. For my first website about ten years ago, he tutored me a lot, but I just couldn't get into it. Wordpress seemed way too cumbersome to me. Having to toggle back and forth all the time between the backend and front end for every single little modification. I agree it's great to build customizeable websites for pros, but I just need something practical for brick and mortar businesses I'm working on. I can't be bothered to pay a web designer or spend hours just trying to figure out how to change a color scheme or modify the indentations of text or whatever.

Right now I'm stuck with a wordpress site, but my friend isn't getting paid, so he never does anything in a timely manner when I ask. I can't be bothered to spend the hours fiddling around on the back-end of wordpress. I don't even remember how to do any of that stuff anymore. Just looking for some sort of drag-and-drop WYSIWYG platform. I don't really care about making a super unique website, but I do need a website where I could add a shopping cart.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Re: What Are the Easiest Webpage Making Platforms?

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

rudder wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 6:57 am
Can anyone versed in building websites give me some recommendations for the easiest WYSIWYG webpage making platforms?

I have a friend who has helped me out over the years, who swears by wordpress. For my first website about ten years ago, he tutored me a lot, but I just couldn't get into it. Wordpress seemed way too cumbersome to me. Having to toggle back and forth all the time between the backend and front end for every single little modification. I agree it's great to build customizeable websites for pros, but I just need something practical for brick and mortar businesses I'm working on. I can't be bothered to pay a web designer or spend hours just trying to figure out how to change a color scheme or modify the indentations of text or whatever.

Right now I'm stuck with a wordpress site, but my friend isn't getting paid, so he never does anything in a timely manner when I ask. I can't be bothered to spend the hours fiddling around on the back-end of wordpress. I don't even remember how to do any of that stuff anymore. Just looking for some sort of drag-and-drop WYSIWYG platform. I don't really care about making a super unique website, but I do need a website where I could add a shopping cart.
I agree, Wordpress is clunky, slow, POS.

You should try Squarespace, but you have to pay monthly hosting.
If your doing e-commerce then Shopify but you also have to pay monthly hosting.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 7:04 am
rudder wrote:

It's not ecommerce per se, mostly just a digital business card, but I'd at least like to have a button where people can pay for a 30-minute phone consult. Maybe add a few small products later. I believe I already am paying for monthly hosting. But I think I just paid for five years in advance, which I'm in the middle of. Would that mean I'm hosted by wordpress and locked into that for another couple years? Or can I go with another platform at any time? I own the domain name, which I think I bought through godaddy. Honestly, I don't remember much of this stuff. Gives you an idea of my level of involvement.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

rudder wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 7:09 am
rudder wrote:

It's not ecommerce per se, mostly just a digital business card, but I'd at least like to have a button where people can pay for a 30-minute phone consult. Maybe add a few small products later. I believe I already am paying for monthly hosting. But I think I just paid for five years in advance, which I'm in the middle of. Would that mean I'm hosted by wordpress and locked into that for another couple years? Or can I go with another platform at any time? I own the domain name, which I think I bought through godaddy. Honestly, I don't remember much of this stuff. Gives you an idea of my level of involvement.
Well my friend, like I said. Why don't you take a look and research Squarespace. The $16 a month includes hosting and the website.
Wordpress hosting maybe cheaper but you have to configure everything manually, it's slow as hell, and update all those plugins.

https://www.squarespace.com/

And for web development work, you can just hire foreigners or third world people in Fiverr. They are much cheaper than overpaid Americans and they are just as good.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Someone else was paying for it. Several years back, I learned Ontraport. You could integrate it with a mailing list. On the downside, it would leave some blank space between boxes of text where I did not want it, and the only sales countdown I could do was against a future date (e.g. Valentine's day) not an actual countdown for 10 minutes to buy the junk. So it wasn't really perfectly customized for funnels.

It took a while to learn, but their customer service was pretty good. They had people there to coach you through how to do stuff through chat until evening hours. The downside is it costs $149 a month, just too much. Another downside is if you quit with them, you lose your pages.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

MrMan wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 7:36 am
Someone else was paying for it. Several years back, I learned Ontraport. You could integrate it with a mailing list. On the downside, it would leave some blank space between boxes of text where I did not want it, and the only sales countdown I could do was against a future date (e.g. Valentine's day) not an actual countdown for 10 minutes to buy the junk. So it wasn't really perfectly customized for funnels.

It took a while to learn, but their customer service was pretty good. They had people there to coach you through how to do stuff through chat until evening hours. The downside is it costs $149 a month, just too much. Another downside is if you quit with them, you lose your pages.
I never heard of them and $149 a month? That's crazy! :shock: With that you can get one year hosting for basic wordpress at hostgator.
You never pay that much for hosting.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

January 15th, 2024, 7:15 am
rudder wrote:
rudder wrote:

Well my friend, like I said. Why don't you take a look and research Squarespace. The $16 a month includes hosting and the website.
Wordpress hosting maybe cheaper but you have to configure everything manually, it's slow as hell, and update all those plugins.

And for web development work, you can just hire foreigners or third world people in Fiverr. They are much cheaper than overpaid Americans and they are just as good.
What about Weebly?
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

I used hostgator (and maybe I still am). Not very fond memories.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Do you have any input on this topic, @kangarunner ?
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

rudder wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 9:10 am
January 15th, 2024, 7:15 am
rudder wrote:
rudder wrote:

What about Weebly?
I don't know. I can't comment on Weebly.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

rudder wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 9:15 am
I used hostgator (and maybe I still am). Not very fond memories.
No I am not telling you to use Hostgator. I was just commenting on Mr Man's reply. Hostgator is garbage now.
Bluehost is decent.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

rudder wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 9:16 am
I use WordPress but there's other options. Only thing is Google ranks fast loading sites and mobile optimized sites higher in search results. Not sure why you're asking a worthless idiot like myself when you could ask the true, legitimate professionals in the field such as @fschmidt and @publicduende.

ChatGPT is your friend:

As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, several WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) webpage making platforms were known for their user-friendly interfaces. Keep in mind that the landscape may have changed since then, so it's a good idea to check the latest reviews and features. Here are some platforms that were considered user-friendly for creating webpages:

1. **Wix:**
- Wix is known for its drag-and-drop editor and a wide range of templates.
- It's suitable for both beginners and those with some web design experience.

2. **Weebly:**
- Weebly is another easy-to-use platform with a simple drag-and-drop interface.
- It offers various themes and e-commerce features for online stores.

3. **Squarespace:**
- Squarespace is known for its visually appealing templates and a clean design.
- It's a good choice for artists, photographers, and creative professionals.

4. **WordPress.com:**
- WordPress.com offers a user-friendly platform for creating websites without the need for hosting.
- It has a variety of themes and plugins, making it customizable.

5. **Shopify:**
- While Shopify is primarily an e-commerce platform, it's user-friendly for building online stores.
- It provides a range of templates and tools for selling products.

6. **Webflow:**
- Webflow is more advanced but still user-friendly, allowing for greater design control.
- It's suitable for both simple and complex websites.

7. **Elementor (WordPress Plugin):**
- If you're using WordPress, Elementor is a popular drag-and-drop page builder plugin.
- It provides a live editing experience and a variety of widgets.

Remember that the ease of use may vary depending on your specific needs and the complexity of the website you want to create. Additionally, new platforms may have emerged since my last update, so it's advisable to explore recent reviews and user feedback before making a decision.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

kangarunner wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 10:00 am
rudder wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 9:16 am
I use WordPress but there's other options. Only thing is Google ranks fast loading sites and mobile optimized sites higher in search results. Not sure why you're asking a worthless idiot like myself when you could ask the true, legitimate professionals in the field such as @fschmidt and @publicduende.

ChatGPT is your friend:

As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, several WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) webpage making platforms were known for their user-friendly interfaces. Keep in mind that the landscape may have changed since then, so it's a good idea to check the latest reviews and features. Here are some platforms that were considered user-friendly for creating webpages:

1. **Wix:**
- Wix is known for its drag-and-drop editor and a wide range of templates.
- It's suitable for both beginners and those with some web design experience.

2. **Weebly:**
- Weebly is another easy-to-use platform with a simple drag-and-drop interface.
- It offers various themes and e-commerce features for online stores.

3. **Squarespace:**
- Squarespace is known for its visually appealing templates and a clean design.
- It's a good choice for artists, photographers, and creative professionals.

4. **WordPress.com:**
- WordPress.com offers a user-friendly platform for creating websites without the need for hosting.
- It has a variety of themes and plugins, making it customizable.

5. **Shopify:**
- While Shopify is primarily an e-commerce platform, it's user-friendly for building online stores.
- It provides a range of templates and tools for selling products.

6. **Webflow:**
- Webflow is more advanced but still user-friendly, allowing for greater design control.
- It's suitable for both simple and complex websites.

7. **Elementor (WordPress Plugin):**
- If you're using WordPress, Elementor is a popular drag-and-drop page builder plugin.
- It provides a live editing experience and a variety of widgets.

Remember that the ease of use may vary depending on your specific needs and the complexity of the website you want to create. Additionally, new platforms may have emerged since my last update, so it's advisable to explore recent reviews and user feedback before making a decision.
I'm not a pro either. I was an aspiring self taught web developer who did some side projects for my "acquaintances" in the past before the COVID pandemic. Now I still work in Logistics because I didn't like that stupid clunky junk like React and Angular that corporate America forces you to use and A.I will replace most of the IT jobs anyway in the future.

I have used Wix before around 2018 because one of my acquaintance was using it for his ecommerce website.
Wix sucks donkey's balls. Wix is laggy, slow, ugly piece of sh*t. I don't recommend Wix.

I don't think Public D and Fschmidt can help you because their area of expertise are not web development. Mostly software development. Two different things.

You better off using squarespace, wordpress and shopify. Google loves them three. Wordpress is free but it's slow clunker also unless you get "wordpress supported hosting" like bluehost and some optimizer plugins in your wordpress website.
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

rudder wrote:
Adding a button to pay via PayPal would be easy. It would be like this:
https://www.happierabroad.com/consultation.php