Former Thai expat here

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
jerryrigged
Freshman Poster

Former Thai expat here

Post by jerryrigged »

Hi folks,

I was a Thai expat for 3 years. Before that I spent a lot of time in Hong Kong. So I guess you can say I am pretty experienced with this sort of thing. I was married to two southeast asian women. No kids from any of those, thankfully. Anyway I would consider myself a good resource for information here. :mrgreen:

Jerry
Sometimes a single moment of madness can last a lifetime

"Close mind genus more dangrous than 10,000 dumwits" - Spencer
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Former Thai expat here

Post by Yohan »

Welcome! Where are you now?
I am from Central Europe, but living in Japan since 40 years and have a second home in Thailand. Married to a Japanese woman, never divorced.
I also had a Thai retirement visa for one year, 2 times, but now expired. No way to travel this time without spending much money (testing, quarantine etc.) for nothing in return. - Just waiting it out, we can travel here inside Japan without any restriction.
jerryrigged
Freshman Poster

Post by jerryrigged »

Yohan wrote:
August 15th, 2021, 12:43 am
I am from Central Europe, but living in Japan since 40 years and have a second home in Thailand. Married to a Japanese woman, never divorced.
I also had a Thai retirement visa for one year, 2 times, but now expired. No way to travel this time without spending much money (testing, quarantine etc.) for nothing in return. - Just waiting it out, we can travel here inside Japan without any restriction.
I really don't think Southeast Asia will ever be the same again. Mask wearing and avoiding sick people and sick people isolating themselves has been part of Thai culture since the flus that hit in the 1950s if I remember my pandemic history right. Until covid becomes a virus that doesn't even kill 90 year olds (which may never happen), they'll be doing this. Also the harsh military government there is using covid as an excuse to clamp down on the organic democracy movement in Thailand right now. I don't expect this to end any time soon. I honestly think my days of international living are over. If Thailand ever gets better, I guess I'll go back. Its the only affordable place I can really think of in Asia where I can get all of my medications and speciality care I require. I could probably get by in the Phils but I would never go back there again. I loved Japan, but I would never in a million years be able to afford to live there in my health. Beautiful people, culture, land. You are fortunate my friend.

jerryrigged
Freshman Poster

Post by jerryrigged »

Also, I am in America. Home of the formerly free.

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

I spent about 12 years living in Indonesia over a 24 year time period. I haven't been back to Indonesia for a few years, though. Before Indonesia, I spent a year in South Korea. During my time living in Indonesia, I took trips to Singapore, Malaysia, and Hong Kong. I have spent a few days in China.

I have been married to an Indonesian woman for over 20 years.

I also speak Indonesian.
florida johny
Freshman Poster

Post by florida johny »

Welcome aboard. I was planning on visiting Thailand and put off going. Now that this virus came out I am kicking myself that I did not go earlier. I went to Costa Rica again. ( I have gone 5 or 6 times) Although I enjoyed it
their economy seems like it took a very big beating. In the capitol mom and pop hotels and some restaurants that used to be good went out of business. The vibe I got after the virus seems like
people are more stressed and unhappy. I went to the Volcanic Springs again and enjoyed it. I am 52 and have never lived in another country but would like to. I have only visited Italy and Costa Rica as an adult. As a child I visited Canada and the Bahamas. I wish I new about this site when I was younger.

IN the USA after 911, the mass shootings and the virus it seems like people do not value their freedom any more. Especially freedom of speech and privacy.
jerryrigged
Freshman Poster

Post by jerryrigged »

florida johny wrote:
August 15th, 2021, 4:22 pm
Welcome aboard. I was planning on visiting Thailand and put off going. Now that this virus came out I am kicking myself that I did not go earlier. I went to Costa Rica again. ( I have gone 5 or 6 times) Although I enjoyed it
their economy seems like it took a very big beating. In the capitol mom and pop hotels and some restaurants that used to be good went out of business. The vibe I got after the virus seems like
people are more stressed and unhappy. I went to the Volcanic Springs again and enjoyed it. I am 52 and have never lived in another country but would like to. I have only visited Italy and Costa Rica as an adult. As a child I visited Canada and the Bahamas. I wish I new about this site when I was younger.

IN the USA after 911, the mass shootings and the virus it seems like people do not value their freedom any more. Especially freedom of speech and privacy.
Thais honestly had it pretty damn good in comparison to other SEA countries, especially when you look at Burma, Cambodia, and Laos. Thais are now at the brink of starvation due to the pandemic. Thailand is now implementing a COVID-19 passport system, also. So for those not getting vaccinated, we'll be scratching Thailand off our list for a long time to come. I wouldn't go now anyway if I were you. The entire country is a ghost town and a former shell of itself. I think I would be happy there just chilling out on a farm near Korat, Surin, or Buriram, but I am not most people. I think I am just going to have to start redefining myself and looking for ways to be happier... inconus. The world is locked down now. We're living on a prison planet. Our freedoms are no more.

jerryrigged
Freshman Poster

Post by jerryrigged »

MrMan wrote:
August 15th, 2021, 2:09 pm
I spent about 12 years living in Indonesia over a 24 year time period. I haven't been back to Indonesia for a few years, though. Before Indonesia, I spent a year in South Korea. During my time living in Indonesia, I took trips to Singapore, Malaysia, and Hong Kong. I have spent a few days in China.

I have been married to an Indonesian woman for over 20 years.

I also speak Indonesian.
I've never been to Indonesia myself but I have spoken with Indonesian women online. They seemed so much more sweet and innocent than Thai girls. Do you think this is accurate or was this just a presumption I made?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow that must have been fun. I like Thailand. It has a dynamic vibe, very stimulating but overwhelming like it overstimulates you. I don't get how people can tolerate that. It's like Las Vegas but much cheaper, everything is flashing and trying to overstimulate you.

Is it possible to find love in Thailand or a woman who is not materialistic and loves you for you? Why aren't relationships with Thai girls as common as in the Philippines?

What were you doing in Hong Kong? It's so cold and cliquish, like Taiwan and America. All business. No connection or soul or positive vibe. Lots of rude grouchy people who yell at you for no reason too. I almost was about to hit some people there. Everyone there is an ant and lives to work only. No one seems alive. No eye contact with strangers. Very isolating socially and energetically. The worst place for a freespirit or freethinker who is not a workaholic. If you're not cold and materialistic, then it's hell. Why does no one expose this or talk about it? Everyone is afraid to say anything that's not politically correct. I hate that.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
jerryrigged
Freshman Poster

Post by jerryrigged »

Winston wrote:
August 18th, 2021, 11:08 pm
Wow that must have been fun. I like Thailand. It has a dynamic vibe, very stimulating but overwhelming like it overstimulates you. I don't get how people can tolerate that. It's like Las Vegas but much cheaper, everything is flashing and trying to overstimulate you.

Is it possible to find love in Thailand or a woman who is not materialistic and loves you for you? Why aren't relationships with Thai girls as common as in the Philippines?

What were you doing in Hong Kong? It's so cold and cliquish, like Taiwan and America. All business. No connection or soul or positive vibe. Lots of rude grouchy people who yell at you for no reason too. I almost was about to hit some people there. Everyone there is an ant and lives to work only. No one seems alive. No eye contact with strangers. Very isolating socially and energetically. The worst place for a freespirit or freethinker who is not a workaholic. If you're not cold and materialistic, then it's hell. Why does no one expose this or talk about it? Everyone is afraid to say anything that's not politically correct. I hate that.
Yes, it is possible to find a "good" Thai woman. You will need to learn more than basic Thai and leave Bangkok. Head into Northern Thailand. You need not go too far. Get into Phichit. You will need to talk to women who are totally separated from all aspects of the tourist industries. In my experience, the less English they know, the better they are. It has gotten to the point where many girls feign poor English speaking skills to make you think they are less experienced. Farm girls are great. I could get very comfortable with a Thai farm girl wife and will even pay for the buffalo. But not unless I am living on the farm, of course.

Those three years were very fun but there was a lot of heartbreak because I learned the hard way about what kind of women to avoid in Thailand. And to be totally honest with you I advise marrying the local way. Do NOT register the marriage! Just go with the Buddha village wedding. There will be no spousal visa but your ability to remain in the Kingdon should never revolve around a marriage, to begin with.

Honestly if you poke around some of the expat media, like Thailand Bound on youtube is a great example. They do a lot to expose the love scams in Thailand and how greedy and materialistic many Thai women are. Cheaters, too, to boot.

I was in Hong Kong because of Chinese women. Chinese women love western guys. Hong Kong is kind of a dating heaven for western guys, if you know how to do it right. I just felt more comfortable in Hong Kong than I did in the interior of China. I would never go back to Hong Kong since the recent events unfolded. It will never be the same again. A lot of what you are referring to, though, is just Cantonese culture. They are often very reserved people. Work is the foremost priority in life, in fact, the meaning of life for many Cantonese people. Suicide rates are high for career failure. Its all a bit sad. My relationship went south and I never went back again. That was my first wife. The second was from one of the big 4 Isan cities. I never married any women from the adult entertainment industry and I still got burned. I don't know man. I think marriage in SEA can be absolutely amazing or it can be very very very bad. I think more guys have better success with Chinese woman, than Thai. Why that is may be cultural.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow Jerry. How did you get women in HK though? They don't look approachable at all and they look kind of cold and it makes you feel like a creep or pervert or terrorist to even try a cold approach. You get the feeling that it's not the norm and you are supposed to mind your own business and keep to yourself, like everyone else is doing. You are only allowed to socialize at a party or get together. But even then, you will only feel comfortable at a party in Asia if you are a conformist.

Also, women don't usually like you unless you fit into their culture to some degree. If you aren't cold and all business and conformist and narrow minded, like they are, it feels awkward to try to connect with the women there. You know what I mean? It's hard to explain. In cultures like HK, Taiwan, and USA, if you are very down to earth, you feel like a freak. It's an upside down Twilight Zone world.

Also, not any man can get a woman in Asia or HK just by being white. There has to be a certain spark. You know what I mean? Kind of like when a casting director selects an actor for his new film or Broadway Play, it's not about looks or talent only, they look for a certain spark that jibes with the play or film, you either have it or you don't. So there's no such thing as a formula for getting women or acting roles. You know what I mean?

Did you play it like a numbers game? If so that's dirty and grinding, because you meet lots of scammers, users, and gold diggers that way, when you meet strangers who are not vetted for.

So Thai women outside of the tourism industry or P4P are open to western men? But in local Thai areas everything felt reserved. The girls looked polite but hesitant to date as if something is holding them back. Like shame or hesitancy or something.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Italianman
Freshman Poster

Post by Italianman »

jerryrigged wrote:
August 15th, 2021, 8:38 am
Yohan wrote:
I really don't think Southeast Asia will ever be the same again. Mask wearing and avoiding sick people and sick people isolating themselves has been part of Thai culture since the flus that hit in the 1950s if I remember my pandemic history right. Until covid becomes a virus that doesn't even kill 90 year olds (which may never happen), they'll be doing this. Also the harsh military government there is using covid as an excuse to clamp down on the organic democracy movement in Thailand right now. I don't expect this to end any time soon. I honestly think my days of international living are over. If Thailand ever gets better, I guess I'll go back. Its the only affordable place I can really think of in Asia where I can get all of my medications and speciality care I require. I could probably get by in the Phils but I would never go back there again. I loved Japan, but I would never in a million years be able to afford to live there in my health. Beautiful people, culture, land. You are fortunate my friend.
What medications and specialty care do you require? Why don't you have the medications shipped, yo?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Italianman wrote:
August 20th, 2021, 12:14 am
jerryrigged wrote:
August 15th, 2021, 8:38 am
Yohan wrote:
What medications and specialty care do you require? Why don't you have the medications shipped, yo?
I told you to stop insulting others randomly. That's trollish and heckling. No need for that. Nothing good in that. Stop it please.

Italianman
Freshman Poster

Post by Italianman »

What are you going on about? I just asked the dude a question!!!!

!!!!!

!!!!!

!!!!

!!!!

!!!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Did he mention medications? Or did you ask that to insult him and insinuate that he needs to be on meds? If it was a legit question, then I apologize.