Lying about one's own nationality

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Lying about one's own nationality

Post by yick »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 11:09 pm
Some of the biggest compliments I have received in life are when someone would talk to me in another language or assume I'm a "foreigner" lol. I remember going to some Turkish place and having some dude talk Turkish to me. Must have been the thick black moustache I had at the time. I've never felt quite "at ease" in my own country, much like Lucas. I never outright LIE about who I am, what I am, or where I am from, however. My accent would give me away. Little clues would betray me. You can never fully run away from who you are. And I would be mortified by the idea of being "caught" in such a shameful lie...

I had a Pakistani friend, a restaurant owner in the Philippines. He once told me that "when you are clean-shaven, you look Swedish... when you have a beard, you look like a light-skinned Afghan" lol. I'm neither; I'm Dutch and I think I more or less "look the part" but this guy didn't think so. Again, I consider such things a compliment but I don't get caught up in the delusion to the point where I'll present myself as something I'm not. Because that would just be insane lets be real here. :lol:
Exactly, I am in Mexico now and I look like someone who could pass as a local and dress like one but as soon as I open my mouth then they know straightaway - people have pegged me down as Italian, Greek, Egyptian, Russian and one drunken gentleman on the Seoul Metro had me down as a Uzbek! :lol: A fair few times in China, people have thought I might be a Uyghur.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

yick wrote:
July 13th, 2023, 6:38 am
Lucas88 wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 10:37 pm

Bro, I had to look up who Dot Cotton is. I don't watch British soap operas for women! 😂
First of all, I am not your bro and secondly, you are talking about 'soap operas for women' when you lie about silly things like your nationality which is what women and adolescents do. :D
Those things that you mentioned about football teams, TV shows, chocolate bars and such are just trivialities. They're things that have no bearing on my life at all and to which I don't give any thought. I'm actually surprisingly clueless about a great deal of British pop culture, TV references and trivia. I always found British TV lame even as a kid and instead preferred the American TV programming that we used to get because it featured entertaining things like WWF wrestling, hilarious late-night adult cartoons, well-made and interesting series, and awesome movies. Even as a kid I tended to live in my own little bubble.
Yeah, but football teams, tv shows, chocolate bars, things they did at school etc etc are points of reference you didn't grow up with in Spain - they're not trivialities for a lot of Spanish people and you don't share them because you wasn't there. You think these things are unimportant in Spain or Latin America?
I know surprisingly more than I should about Spanish-language music, Spanish history and cultural references even though I didn't grow up there. When you have a strong interest in a foreign culture and then live there for a significant period of time, you pick things up. After a while you're no longer that fresh-off-the-boat clueless foreigner but rather that foreign guy who knows a decent amount of stuff about x culture. People adapt, you know.
You might know about them but you can't share with them - I can't share with my dad what it was like to get the news that John F. Kennedy was shot dead because he was alive and I wasn't - I know about it, I know about the moon landing but I can't share with someone who was there at the time what it was like to watch it, to experience such a thing - it is something I read in a book or watch on YouTube 60 years later.
But the reality is that my close friendships with Spaniards and Latin Americans – and let's be clear that those friendships have been far more numerous than the ones I've had with British people – have all been primarily formed around shared interests (e.g., martial arts, intellectual interests, spiritual beliefs, etc.), not trivial things from childhood. People of different cultural origins form close friendships all the time. If that weren't the case then I wouldn't have my various friendships with Latinos that have lasted for years.
I am not going to call you a liar because I don't know your life but in Spain - like in Italy - Spaniards tend to make their friends in school and those social circles usually last forever - Latin Americans in Spain are a lot easier to befriend because you all being immigrants - their social circles are more open to people based on shared interests etc - if you live in Spain - I am sure you have close relationships with Latin Americans and have acquaintances (which I am sure they're quite friendly) with Spaniards - you might think they're 'close friends' but I bet pounds to pigshit you're never part of their gatherings with their true friendship circles - the people they knew at school.

I mean they might like you and say 'buenas' when you meet them and whatnot but I bet they don't see you as a true friend like they see the people they have known all their lives.
Yick I think you are to autistic about this. Lucas is extremely invested in that project. It is like saying the guy who found Troja is not a real archeaologist. Latin America is easy going. What he is doing is more than enough and yes people can bond on interest and I find it is the best thing to do anyway. That is what grown ups do. That is more than good enough.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

I wish him all the best with it and he joins the Latino brotherhood of nations, I will be very happy for him. I agree with his views on the UK but what's the point of telling lies? It's like these transgender types saying they're women when they were born male. He is making a mountain out of a molehill, most people will go 'oh, you're British, OK' and they'll move on to being a friend of his (or not...)

The route to a happy life is getting rid of complications such as lying about stupid shit. Again, I wish him well on his journey.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

yick wrote:
July 13th, 2023, 8:41 am
I wish him all the best with it and he joins the Latino brotherhood of nations, I will be very happy for him. I agree with his views on the UK but what's the point of telling lies? It's like these transgender types saying they're women when they were born male. He is making a mountain out of a molehill, most people will go 'oh, you're British, OK' and they'll move on to being a friend of his (or not...)

The route to a happy life is getting rid of complications such as lying about stupid shit. Again, I wish him well on his journey.
Let him lie who cares? In most countries he would get honorary citizenship because he loves the country. Many countries simp for guys like him. Like Philippines for example. Most people in the coutnries are NPSs anyway Dr. Wiseton would say.

I used to trigger Lucas by saying the Russian language is ugly. So I was triggered by him being triggered. So I know where you are coming from a bit. Anyway he will do very good.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

yick wrote:
July 13th, 2023, 6:38 am
I am not going to call you a liar because I don't know your life but in Spain - like in Italy - Spaniards tend to make their friends in school and those social circles usually last forever - Latin Americans in Spain are a lot easier to befriend because you all being immigrants - their social circles are more open to people based on shared interests etc - if you live in Spain - I am sure you have close relationships with Latin Americans and have acquaintances (which I am sure they're quite friendly) with Spaniards - you might think they're 'close friends' but I bet pounds to pigshit you're never part of their gatherings with their true friendship circles - the people they knew at school.

I mean they might like you and say 'buenas' when you meet them and whatnot but I bet they don't see you as a true friend like they see the people they have known all their lives.
You seem a bit weirdly obsessive and for some reason hellbent on insinuating that my friendships with Spaniards couldn't have been anything more than acquaintances, but I'll quickly address your doubts:

No, my friendships with Spaniards don't merely consist of saying "buenas" as we see each other. With some friends I've hung out with and had deep and fascinating conversations with them from before midnight until sunrise. Mere acquaintances don't do that.

I've gone on trips with some friends and even stayed at their houses. Even done an Ayahuasca ceremony with one friend.

I have indeed been invited to gatherings with certain friends' wider friendship circles. It's not out of the ordinary.

When you have interesting topics of conversation and a bit of personality and some degree of cultural savvy, it's not unusual for doors to open and friendships to form.
yick wrote:
July 13th, 2023, 8:41 am

Ok, fair enough and thanks for wishing me well. Yes, I get that my hang-ups might sound silly and make things more complicated than they need to be. They're just the result of extremely bad experiences growing up as a misfit in the UK. But I still don't understand why something so silly would compel you to spend time and energy writing so many replies in this thread. I can only suspect that something that I wrote must have triggered you in some way.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Incorrect on being 'weirdly obsessive' I think this is the first time I have ever interacted with you on this forum so your use of the term 'weirdly obsessive' to describe my views on your friendships with Spaniards is incorrect as it was in ONE post.

Secondly, you didn't 'trigger' me you wanted feedback to your post, you got it - which is what you wanted as you stated more than once and I actually replied to your points - unless if you think being 'triggered' is responding to claims you make - that is how debate works, cheers.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

yick wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 3:09 am
Incorrect on being 'weirdly obsessive' I think this is the first time I have ever interacted with you on this forum so your use of the term 'weirdly obsessive' to describe my views on your friendships with Spaniards is incorrect as it was in ONE post.

Secondly, you didn't 'trigger' me you wanted feedback to your post, you got it - which is what you wanted as you stated more than once and I actually replied to your points - unless if you think being 'triggered' is responding to claims you make - that is how debate works, cheers.
I might be wrong but one can be weirdly obsessive in one post. Just trying to do text analysis here. Your post came of patronizing too. Though nothing wrong with that.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

galii wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 4:30 am
yick wrote:

I might be wrong but one can be weirdly obsessive in one post. Just trying to do text analysis here. Your post came of patronizing too. Though nothing wrong with that.
No you can't - 'weirdly obsessive' follows a pattern of repeated behaviours which I have not done with Lucas, he is just using feminine shaming language over a debate he wanted and asked for - and if you notice in our exchange - I was replying to points he made.

I might have been patronising but he was quite insulting - so, no foul really.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

yick wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 5:48 am
galii wrote:
yick wrote:

No you can't - 'weirdly obsessive' follows a pattern of repeated behaviours which I have not done with Lucas, he is just using feminine shaming language over a debate he wanted and asked for - and if you notice in our exchange - I was replying to points he made.

I think technically it is possible to be weirdly obsessive even in one post. Specially if the reasoning is really bad. I am not saying you did it. I say it is technically possible. For example if I mention like 10 times in one post the avatar name of Lucas and act like it is very weird and so on then I would be weirdly obsessed with his avatar name at least a bit.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

galii wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 6:00 am
yick wrote:
galii wrote:
yick wrote:

I think technically it is possible to be weirdly obsessive even in one post. Specially if the reasoning is really bad. I am not saying you did it. I say it is technically possible. For example if I mention like 10 times in one post the avatar name of Lucas and act like it is very weird and so on then I would be weirdly obsessed with his avatar name at least a bit.
No, 'technically' (I think you mean literally... this being language an all...) you can't because the word obsessive/obsessed/obsessively means exactly...

'thinking about something or someone, or doing something, too much or all the time'

That is what it means - to obsess over something is to think/do something many many times over - which I have not done.

It is not literally possible to obsess over something by mentioning it the once, it isn't - it is incorrect usage of the word - down to using feminine shaming language but using words/terms incorrectly. As for your example, that didn't happen.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

yick wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 6:22 am
galii wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 6:00 am
yick wrote:
galii wrote:
yick wrote:

No, 'technically' (I think you mean literally... this being language an all...) you can't because the word obsessive/obsessed/obsessively means exactly...

'thinking about something or someone, or doing something, too much or all the time'

That is what it means - to obsess over something is to think/do something many many times over - which I have not done.

It is not literally possible to obsess over something by mentioning it the once, it isn't - it is incorrect usage of the word - down to using feminine shaming language but using words/terms incorrectly. As for your example, that didn't happen.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

@yick

Well I did not talk about you. I changed the goalpost a bit. I said if I would use Lucas' name MANY TIMES in a unreasonable manner in one post that might be called as 'weirdly obsessed'.

Anyway I don't want to look 'weirdly obsessed' with my text analyses by writing too much. Thanks for your patience.

We can get back to the topic. Yes you can lie but for some it may look weird.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

yick wrote:
galii wrote:
yick wrote:

It wasn't "feminine shaming language" but rather merely an observation. Not everything has some ulterior motive to shame or insult, by the way. But the truth is that you're making yourself look even more obsessive with your new tangential discussion with @galii. Like as though you're so emotionally invested in this whole thing. Lol!

Insulting how? I kept a serene attitude throughout the whole discussion and didn't say anything bad to you (I even acted friendly at times) while you displayed a patronizing and dickish attitude throughout. :?

I think that your problem is that you have an inflated ego and always have to appear right and then, when somebody doesn't accept your arguments or has a reply of their own, you automatically interpret that as them being "insulting" or "hostile". You probably have a lot of toxicity of your own to work through. Good luck with that.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

galii wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 6:43 am
Yes you can lie but for some it may look weird.
I think that this is a fair and reasonable assessment of the topic. Yes, you can choose to lie about your nationality perhaps for practical reasons (e.g., avoiding discrimination if your actual nationality happens to be seen in a negative light in a particular country, posing as a nationality that is viewed as "cool" and more attractive to girls, avoiding association with a country or culture that you don't like, etc.), but in most situations many people will find it weird.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Lucas88 wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 6:45 am
yick wrote:
galii wrote:
yick wrote:

It wasn't "feminine shaming language" but rather merely an observation. Not everything has some ulterior motive to shame or insult, by the way. But the truth is that you're making yourself look even more obsessive with your new tangential discussion with @galii. Like as though you're so emotionally invested in this whole thing. Lol!

Insulting how? I kept a serene attitude throughout the whole discussion and didn't say anything bad to you (I even acted friendly at times) while you displayed a patronizing and dickish attitude throughout. :?

I think that your problem is that you have an inflated ego and always have to appear right and then, when somebody doesn't accept your arguments or has a reply of their own, you automatically interpret that as them being "insulting" or "hostile". You probably have a lot of toxicity of your own to work through. Good luck with that.
It was 'feminine shaming language' except, used incorrectly. It was an incorrect observation and as for Galli, I am merely responding to him, what do you want me to do? Stop responding to him?

You made some passive aggressive feminine comment about my mixed race heritage and how I wouldn't be able to get women ( compared to you...) what you forget is I am also English and plenty of white people from that country looked like they have been dumped into a wheelie bin of toxic sewage - I don't know you but I bet there is nothing you have I would swap you for but I bet you would love my freedom of movement of the whole of South America and a two year wait for Spanish citizenship.

So there you have, you were being a twat and I tried to be conciliatory in my last response and actually wished you well to you but you said I was 'weirdly obsessive' and 'triggered' so blame yourself - I tried to end it nice but you couldn't stop being an arse so blame yourself.