Should I accept this job offer?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Should I accept this job offer?

Post by Hero »

Today I was offered a job that pays $90K per year. The downside is that I only get 2 weeks vacation per year. That means I can forget about taking any trips abroad for a while. But maybe that's not such a bad thing; these week-long vacations that I've taken to the Philippines, the Ukraine, and the Dominican Republic have not been very productive, due to their short duration. Maybe the better plan would be to work at this job for a year or two and save up enough cash to get myself set up permanently in a foreign home. What say you?
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I would take the job--but not stay permanently. A few years to save money, while you can, sounds like a good plan...especially in this f*cked up economy...
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

definitely take the job. Im actually considering holding off traveling to philippines so i can focus on my work and save faster for early retirment. Right now im making like 15 to 16K a month but it wont last that high forever its hard to say.

2 week vacations are a total waste anyways. Even 6 months are almost a waste.

but its gonna take longer than 2 years unless you already have a lot of savings and are closer to social security age than thought. Im making alot more than that right now like 16K a month and i dont see myself retiring anytime soon and i dont have major bills except for traveling and im probably gonna stop that temporarily.

If your in california 90,000 is like the 33% tax bracket cumulative based on my estimations so assume youll only have 60,000 leftover after federal, state, social taxes. Plus bills. It will take a while to save. Also you have cost of living increases due to inflations o you need good returns on stocks which are in a buble now so im not investing right now etc. You can lose 100 percent of your money in 30 years due to inflation if your returning 0 and inflation is 3 percent a year due to the compounding nature of inflation/interest. Assume it will take 10 to 20 years at your salary.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

What type of job is it?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yup, take the job and save up a warchest. I'm kind of semi-retired now after enduring sh1t office life for a few years. Having financial security gives you a lot of options.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 2nd, 2020, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Tsar wrote:What type of job is it?
Business performance analyst
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

xiongmao wrote:Yup, take the job and save up a warchest. I'm kind of semi-retired now after enduring sh1t office life for a few years. Having financial security gives you a lot of options.
How old are you?
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Ghost wrote:I think you should calculate some things first. How much will you pay in taxes? Daddygov might take that 90k down to 60k or less. Since it is a salaried job, you should determine what your hourly rate will be. If you will be working 40 hours per week for 90k, that's good. If you will be working 80+ hours a week, you need to really consider that. A lot of people dismiss thinking about their hourly rate.

Is it a job you would care about? How much autonomy will you have? Would you be working with females? (Remember that one false accusation could be the end of the road.)
I can cut my tax bill significantly by putting a big chunk of my salary into my 401K. In any case, even with the taxes, I'd be making a lot more than I'm making now. I was told that work/life balance is good at this company, people just work 9 to 5 and can take every other Friday off. As for working with females, that's inevitable.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

and are you assuming that you can retire on that 401K what if there is a huge stock market crash and it stays down? 401 is also taxed if youpull out early. also remember costs are going up every year so factor that into your calculations.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 2nd, 2020, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Ghost wrote:Sounds decent enough then. You can always accept and then quit on down the line if you need to. If you don't have anything else going on in your world right now, I don't see the harm. Biggest thing is avoid the female drones in the office as much as possible. Otherwise use it for what it is worth and stack some cash.
Oh, I'm definitely going to quit on down the line, probably sooner rather than later. No way I'm going to work in a cubicle job in the USA for the next 20 years. I might be ready to split as soon as a year from now.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:and are you assuming that you can retire on that 401K what if there is a huge stock market crash and it stays down? 401 is also taxed if youpull out early. also remember costs are going up every year so factor that into your calculations.
No way you can avoid all risk in life, my friend. In any case, I won't be pulling out early. I'll make sure that I put away enough cash so that I won't have to dip into my retirement accounts.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Hero wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote:and are you assuming that you can retire on that 401K what if there is a huge stock market crash and it stays down? 401 is also taxed if youpull out early. also remember costs are going up every year so factor that into your calculations.
No way you can avoid all risk in life, my friend. In any case, I won't be pulling out early. I'll make sure that I put away enough cash so that I won't have to dip into my retirement accounts.
Good for you. Those financial sector crooks can never have too much money to lose or steal.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Cornfed wrote:Good for you. Those financial sector crooks can never have too much money to lose or steal.
I haven't been ripped off yet. I found some awesome funds with T. Rowe Price and Vanguard. They're doing quite well, thank you very much.

Have you been shafted, by any chance? If so, by whom?