Income not a problem, how to get Visa?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Nailer
Freshman Poster

Income not a problem, how to get Visa?

Post by Nailer »

My income is online from web development work.

How hard is it to get a Visa to stay in Europe past the 90 day limit if you have reliable documented income and plenty of savings? Can you just demonstrate you won't be a burden on the welfare system? Is there a firm that can handle this all for me, for a fee?

Thanks for the advice.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Income not a problem, how to get Visa?

Post by Cornfed »

Nailer wrote:Can you just demonstrate you won't be a burden on the welfare system?
I'm interested in this too, but do we really think Euro regimes give a shit about whether you are a burden on the welfare system?
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Cornfed wrote:
Nailer wrote:Can you just demonstrate you won't be a burden on the welfare system?
I'm interested in this too, but do we really think Euro regimes give a shit about whether you are a burden on the welfare system?
If you are white yes. If you are brown or black, welcome here is housing and spending money.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Depends on the country. Germany, the Czech Republic, Romania all make it pretty easy to get a self employment visa, though the paperwork will set you back a few hundred bucks, and you will be required to buy health insurance (though it's much, much cheaper than in the U.S., and yes, Cornfed, draining health services is the main concern about immigrants in these countries). Same thing with the Netherlands, which has long had the Dutch American Friendship Treaty for just this purpose. These are the four I know specifically about. Law firms, language schools, etc. can help you navigate the terrain. I think Serbia is quite easy, and I've heard Spain is as well. Ditto Bulgaria.

Apparently Americans can stay in Poland as long as they want by leaving the country every ninety days and returning a day later. They're supposed to give you a new 90-day stamp every time you enter the country.

Georgia allows Americans to stay for 360 days on the tourist visa -- no health insurance requirements, or anything else. Just leave once a year, return, rinse and repeat.
Nailer
Freshman Poster

Post by Nailer »

Hmm, I thought this would all be under the same EU rules. What about Ukraine?

Is there nothing on the U.S. government side that says I can't leave the U.S. more than 90 days without extra paperwork? Can I freely leave the U.S. for any amount of time, without telling them where I am going and what I'm doing? I've only been to western Europe as a tourist.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Nailer wrote:Hmm, I thought this would all be under the same EU rules. What about Ukraine?

Is there nothing on the U.S. government side that says I can't leave the U.S. more than 90 days without extra paperwork? Can I freely leave the U.S. for any amount of time, without telling them where I am going and what I'm doing? I've only been to western Europe as a tourist.
Yes to the second question (and be thankful Clinton didn't get elected if you want the privilege to continue)..

Don't know about Ukraine. Voyager1, a Canadian, has stayed there continuously for years doing his own online business. You might PM him.