Are there any countries that fit these variables?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Are there any countries that fit these variables?

Post by Tsar »

1. Buy a place for 20,000 Euros ($22,000) maximum and be able to live in it, no repairs needed.
2. Live there permanently
3. Must be in Europe or Asia
4. Great cost of living
5. Great food
6. No or mild winters
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king πŸ‘‘
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Re: Are there any countries that fit these variables?

Post by Voyager1 »

Tsar wrote: ↑
September 1st, 2021, 1:32 pm
1. Buy a place for 20,000 Euros ($22,000) maximum and be able to live in it, no repairs needed.
4. Great cost of living
5. Great food
6. No or mild winters
Russia, Ukraine, Belarus. But it will be in the village, not the city. It will most likely be a shack. You will have to burn wood and / or coal in the winter to keep warm. Some of the Babushkas out there can cook you up a good meal. It will be healthy living.

You might also try southern parts of Portugal or Spain. I am not sure they will be as cheap.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Voyager1 wrote: ↑
September 1st, 2021, 1:58 pm
4. Great cost of living
5. Great food
6. No or mild winters
Russia, Ukraine, Belarus. But it will be in the village, not the city. It will most likely be a shack. You will have to burn wood and / or coal in the winter to keep warm. Some of the Babushkas out there can cook you up a good meal. It will be healthy living.

You might also try southern parts of Portugal or Spain. I am not sure they will be as cheap.
No, I need electricity, internet, hot water, and access to taxis if needed. Grocery stores to buy things and online shopping. I don't have any legal option to reside permanently in Russia or Ukraine.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

Tsar, why do you want to buy? Isn't that risky? I heard you can rent apartments in some smaller towns $100-$200 month. You need to pay electricity, gas, water, internet in addition to that but it's still pretty cheap.

I would want to figure out where you want to live first before you buy.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

September 1st, 2021, 2:55 pm
Tsar, why do you want to buy? Isn't that risky? I heard you can rent apartments in some smaller towns $100-$200 month. You need to pay electricity, gas, water, internet in addition to that but it's still pretty cheap.

I know there are apartments for rent for 200 Euro per month in Italy but I would need the owner's help to get utilities (language barrier). I can't move into a place and wait days for running water, electricity, and fast internet. If there's no bed, then where do I sleep? I won't be sleeping on a floor.

Italy has really nice grocery stores. I don't care where I live as long as I can live without stress and in peace. I don't really want to try for girls anymore so I just want fast internet, great affordable food, no visa resets (or once a year, easy, and affordable), and affordable cost of living.
I don't like the condition it's in. Also, the furniture if left behind must be replaced, at least the bed. Also, I don't get healthcare in Spain.

I am mainly thinking Italy since I don't know if anywhere else in the EU would be great. If it wasn't COVID-19, I would have hopefully tried to see what Hungary and Central Europe are like but I don't really feel like trying anywhere in the EU. I can't live in Spain.

Besides, I need to live in Italy 10 years to qualify for some of the social benefits.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

September 1st, 2021, 8:37 pm
September 1st, 2021, 2:55 pm

I know there are apartments for rent for 200 Euro per month in Italy but I would need the owner's help to get utilities (language barrier). I can't move into a place and wait days for running water, electricity, and fast internet. If there's no bed, then where do I sleep? I won't be sleeping on a floor.

Italy has really nice grocery stores. I don't care where I live as long as I can live without stress and in peace. I don't really want to try for girls anymore so I just want fast internet, great affordable food, no visa resets (or once a year, easy, and affordable), and affordable cost of living.
I don't like the condition it's in. Also, the furniture if left behind must be replaced, at least the bed. Also, I don't get healthcare in Spain.

I am mainly thinking Italy since I don't know if anywhere else in the EU would be great. If it wasn't COVID-19, I would have hopefully tried to see what Hungary and Central Europe are like but I don't really feel like trying anywhere in the EU. I can't live in Spain.

Besides, I need to live in Italy 10 years to qualify for some of the social benefits.
Aren't there houses for sale for a Euro if you are a citizen, try there.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

yick wrote: ↑
September 1st, 2021, 8:43 pm
No, here's why...

Those are "Fix it houses" and they require a deposit, have a limit for when it must be completed (typically 3 years), have an application, sometimes a catch about creating a job in the town, and finding those things are really tricky. People, including Italians, try to avoid them most of the time because for a simple property the cost of repairs and construction could be 100,000 Euros.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

September 1st, 2021, 8:53 pm
No, here's why...

Those are "Fix it houses" and they require a deposit, have a limit for when it must be completed (typically 3 years), have an application, sometimes a catch about creating a job in the town, and finding those things are really tricky. People, including Italians, try to avoid them most of the time because for a simple property the cost of repairs and construction could be 100,000 Euros.
Find your damn 20000 Euros house that needs no renevations yourself. :lol:

Yeah, good luck with that. :roll:
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

September 1st, 2021, 8:56 pm
September 1st, 2021, 8:53 pm
No, here's why...

Find your damn 20000 Euros house that needs no renevations yourself. :lol:

Yeah, good luck with that. :roll:
I think I read some places in Italy had them for purchase for 13,000 Euros or 30,000 Euros. I forget which. Much more scarce and part of the application process to get new residents for small towns.

Why is the cost of a place $70,000 US minimum on the low-end (60,000 Euros) anywhere in the world? I don't understand why it has to be that expensive. Typically the cost is $150,000 or 125,000 Euros for an affordable place which isn't affordable.

I don't want to keep living in Airbnbs forever.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

------------------------------------------------
4. Great cost of living
5. Great food
6. No or mild winters
In case of Thailand, my second home

Even for Thailand, Euro 20.000,- is a bit too low.
For example in Pattaya you can buy a 35m2 condominium unit in good location, building with fairly good maintenance/pool and full furniture and no repairings required for Euro 25.000,-
(around 1 million baht, transfer fees etc. included)
Internet is available, cable TV too.
Foreigner, even tourist, can buy - no restrictions, but transfer of the property must be in cash, full amount in foreign currency.
Land title will be issued within a few days, in foreigner's name.

Be aware, that visa/longstay might be a problem and deposit will be required (baht 800.000,- approx. euro 21.000,-) There are also additional costs/requirements like health insurance, clear criminal record etc.

3. 4. 5. 6. no problem at all.

Be aware that there is always a risk with property in Asian countries. Property is often very difficult for sale. If you are unsure how long you will use it, it is better to rent. Minimum use should not be shorter than 10 to 12 years.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Yohan wrote: ↑
September 1st, 2021, 10:10 pm
------------------------------------------------
4. Great cost of living
5. Great food
6. No or mild winters
In case of Thailand, my second home

Even for Thailand, Euro 20.000,- is a bit too low.
For example in Pattaya you can buy a 35m2 condominium unit in good location, building with fairly good maintenance/pool and full furniture and no repairings required for Euro 25.000,-
(around 1 million baht, transfer fees etc. included)
Foreigner, even tourist, can buy - no restrictions, but transfer must be in cash, full amount in foreign currency.

Be aware, that visa/longstay might be a problem and deposit will be required (baht 800.000,- approx. euro 21.000,-) There are also additional costs like health insurance etc.

3. 4. 5. 6. no problem at all.
Thailand won't work because of the cost to actually stay there. I can't afford health insurance because it's too expensive for me and doesn't cover any preexisting conditions. I need $3,000 a month to live ordinary. My current income won't cover healthcare anywhere. I am taking a break from additional tests and seeing a doctor because I can't afford to spend more money until I get a little more back after a month or two of really reducing my spending.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

In case of Philippines, I can talk only about Cebu City, where my foster daughter is living and it is more expensive than Pattaya, Thailand.

Expect to pay for a small condo unit in a guarded condo tower in a generally safe location at least PHP 1.700.000,- /Euro 29.000,- (size around 28 sqm) - location is important, street crime in some areas is a problem.

The unit will be empty. You have in most cases to buy your own furniture.

Communication about real estate is however much easier than in Thailand as contacts are all in English, and real estate broker staff are good in English too.

Visa formalitites are also much easier than in Thailand.

2. 3. 4. 5. 6. no problem, but you need more money than in Thailand.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Yohan wrote: ↑
September 1st, 2021, 10:38 pm
In case of Philippines, I can talk only about Cebu City, where my foster daughter is living and it is more expensive than Pattaya, Thailand.

Expect to pay for a small condo unit in a guarded condo tower in a generally safe location at least PHP 1.700.000,- /Euro 29.000,- (size around 28 sqm) - location is important, street crime in some areas is a problem.

The unit will be empty. You have in most cases to buy your own furniture.

Communication about real estate is however much easier than in Thailand as contacts are all in English, and real estate broker staff are good in English too.

Visa formalitites are also much easier than in Thailand.

2. 3. 4. 5. 6. no problem, but you need more money than in Thailand.
I wouldn't mind the Philippines, Malaysia would still be no.1 for me but the Philippines is more like a Latin American country than as Asian one, I would gel with the culture a lot better than I would in Thailand and my pension would increase as the UK and the Philippines have an agreement where the UK pension isn't frozen. I wouldn't know where to live though, Yohan - any good suggestions?
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

September 1st, 2021, 10:54 pm
I wouldn't mind the Philippines, Malaysia would still be no.1 for me but the Philippines is more like a Latin American country than as Asian one, I would gel with the culture a lot better than I would in Thailand and my pension would increase as the UK and the Philippines have an agreement where the UK pension isn't frozen. I wouldn't know where to live though, Yohan - any good suggestions?
Malaysia/Singapore are not a good place for retirement for an ordinary single Western citizen, even not for a married couple.
The requirements regarding money and buying your own accommodation - even in case of condominium and not owning land+a large house on it - are too restrictive. This is only really a place for the rich people with large families.

Thailand and Philippines are not bad for Western men with a reasonable retirement allowance (should be USD 2000,-+ per month, or at least with a local time deposit in a bank USD 30.000,- or so) however private health insurance is not cheap and now obligatory for retirement visa.

Before all this covid-19 disaster it was easy to move between Thailand and Philippines, daily cheap flights

About Laos - it is a bit an emply place and not visa-friendly for longterm.

About Cambodia - very nice people and not difficult to stay even for one year, but there are only a few cities and what I have seen while visiting it from Thailand a few times, it is getting boring - but a good get-away when running out of time in Thailand and Philippines.

Indonesia: I have no experience/knowledge about this country.

Japan can be also nice, but there is no retirement visa, only permanent residence and this takes several years to get permission for it - however any foreigner can buy a condominium anywhere in Japan in own name, even a tourist. Japan will give most citizens of Western countries a tourist visa for 3 months, 2 times (just less than half year totally) but after you have to leave for half year to somewhere else abroad.
Living outside of the large cities in Japan is not expensive at all, very safe - but there are other issues like medical insurance (Japanese national insurance is not available for tourists) etc. Not easy for long-stay permit if you come here AFTER retirement and never had any job/relationship with Japan before.

Nothing is perfect here in Asia... many Europeans, who are within EU-zone, prefer to retire within EU, in cheap places like Greece, Portugal, Bulgaria ....

Unfortunately UK decided to exit the EU - this makes it now more difficult for retirement in Continental Europe.
We will see what is after covid-19. At this moment the entire world is a mess.