How to deal with dog attacks

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

How to deal with dog attacks

Post by Lucas88 »

Yesterday evening, while I was walking down a street, I came to a house with a garden with parts of the fence broken or missing completely. In the garden there was an unsupervised dog which looked like a pit bull or a similar kind of breed. The dog immediately jumped up and edged towards me with a menacing growl. As I retreated to get away from the dog, it started to charge at me and chased me to the other side of the road. I was then backed up against a wall at the opposite pavement and the dog continued to stalk me while growling aggressively.

In that moment, I had neither a weapon nor any object that could be used to throw at the dog as a distraction. For a second, I considered kicking the dog in the nose as hard as I could but feared that if I missed the dog would have an opportunity to latch onto my leg and cause serious damage. I don't understand the anatomy of animals as much as I do that of humans. I don't know where their weak points are or how do inflict maximum damage on them while avoiding being bitten. Martial arts are designed for fighting other humans, not animals.

So I just kept calm and continued to slowly back away along the wall. Eventually the dog calmed down and returned to the garden from where it came.

What kind of retard leaves a dangerous breed of dog unsupervised in a garden with large portions of the fence missing right next to a public pavement? I'm sure that it was exactly the kind of 80 IQ moron that our moderator and resident misanthrope @fschmidt believes should be exterminated. In this particular case, I agree with him.

Although I didn't panic and the event only shook me up slightly, it made me think about the need for suitable strategies of defense against dog attacks.

Ideally, I would like to carry with me some kind of lance-like weapon, maybe a wooden staff with a protractible blade or point that one could use to fend off animal attacks and stick into the aggressive animal's eyes or neck if necessary, although carrying such a weapon would be illegal in most "civilized" societies.

Such is the lamentable condition of modern man - a weak and cowardly subject deprived of all survival instinct and unwilling to even prepare for self-defense. Moreover, those of us who still do have those same primal instincts are forbidden by law to carry any kind of genuine weapon for our own protection (e.g., from wild animals). The result of this is a generation of stunted imbeciles completely lacking the essential knowledge or preparation needed to survive life-or-death scenarios that our prehistoric ancestors would have faced almost on a daily basis.

So staffs and lances are out of the question. Concealed carry of a firearm isn't permitted in most countries either. I suppose that pepper spray might be one of the best options.

What do you guys think are the best options against dog attacks?

@WilliamSmith
@Cornfed
@Pixel--Dude
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Re: How to deal with dog attacks

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Lucas88 wrote:
September 6th, 2023, 9:49 am
Yesterday evening, while I was walking down a street, I came to a house with a garden with parts of the fence broken or missing completely. In the garden there was an unsupervised dog which looked like a pit bull or a similar kind of breed. The dog immediately jumped up and edged towards me with a menacing growl. As I retreated to get away from the dog, it started to charge at me and chased me to the other side of the road. I was then backed up against a wall at the opposite pavement and the dog continued to stalk me while growling aggressively.

In that moment, I had neither a weapon nor any object that could be used to throw at the dog as a distraction. For a second, I considered kicking the dog in the nose as hard as I could but feared that if I missed the dog would have an opportunity to latch onto my leg and cause serious damage. I don't understand the anatomy of animals as much as I do that of humans. I don't know where their weak points are or how do inflict maximum damage on them while avoiding being bitten. Martial arts are designed for fighting other humans, not animals.

So I just kept calm and continued to slowly back away along the wall. Eventually the dog calmed down and returned to the garden from where it came.

What kind of retard leaves a dangerous breed of dog unsupervised in a garden with large portions of the fence missing right next to a public pavement? I'm sure that it was exactly the kind of 80 IQ moron that our moderator and resident misanthrope @fschmidt believes should be exterminated. In this particular case, I agree with him.

Although I didn't panic and the event only shook me up slightly, it made me think about the need for suitable strategies of defense against dog attacks.

Ideally, I would like to carry with me some kind of lance-like weapon, maybe a wooden staff with a protractible blade or point that one could use to fend off animal attacks and stick into the aggressive animal's eyes or neck if necessary, although carrying such a weapon would be illegal in most "civilized" societies.

Such is the lamentable condition of modern man - a weak and cowardly subject deprived of all survival instinct and unwilling to even prepare for self-defense. Moreover, those of us who still do have those same primal instincts are forbidden by law to carry any kind of genuine weapon for our own protection (e.g., from wild animals). The result of this is a generation of stunted imbeciles completely lacking the essential knowledge or preparation needed to survive life-or-death scenarios that our prehistoric ancestors would have faced almost on a daily basis.

So staffs and lances are out of the question. Concealed carry of a firearm isn't permitted in most countries either. I suppose that pepper spray might be one of the best options.

What do you guys think are the best options against dog attacks?

@WilliamSmith
@Cornfed
@Pixel--Dude
Pepper spray is a good shout. Take out their eyes and they might cower and back down. Their noses are their greatest asset, but also a weakness. The sensitivity of the nose might help discourage the dog from attacking. In place of a Lance or staff you could use a walking stick or umbrella, these items are not illegal and could always be.... modified :wink:

Key thing to remember is to stay calm when attacked by a dog. Stay calm and still and your body language should communicate that you're not a threat. Don't run or you'll trigger the prey instinct in the dog and you're bound to be walking home with a few chunks missing.

Where the f**k did this happen? Private message me what street this was? That dog should be immediately reported mate. You could've been a small child walking down that street and that could've proven fatal...
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Re: How to deal with dog attacks

Post by MrPeabody »

I think the commercial pepper spray is too weak. Bear spray would be better. The problem is you don't know if it will work until you really need it, and you are screwed if it doesn't.