New look forum is boring, plain and sterile

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Still broken for me on my home PC as well :-( Where is Winston? In bed? He should be fixing this! Why should we use IE? It sucks ass.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Mr S wrote:
Winston wrote:Thanks Mr S. I will forward those user strings to the developer.

When you are in the mobile version on your PC, can you tell me what it says in terms of the platform its on? Does it say Flexplat or TouchBB?

Does the shitty version have buttons and colors? Can someone post a screen shot of it?
I'm using a Mac not a PC. Where do you find the platform info?

The button colors are baby blue, background white/grey, font is in black. No graphics just basic functionality.

How do you upload an image directly from a computer to the forum? I only know how to link from webpages.
The platform usually appears on the screen. If you don't see it, then it's not there. If the button has colors, you are probably seeing the Flexpat version. Oh well. At least you can post from it.

You can't upload an image directly. You have to embed using an image URL between the image tags. But first you have to upload the images to another site.

Rock, Xiongmao, are you on a Mac too?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

To all:

Ok well I've used my backup files to replace the changed files during the Mobile App installation. So the forum should be back to normal now. Do you all see the normal version now?

I'll see if the developer can fix the problem first, before I reinstall it again.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Winston wrote:Ok I got a message from the developer. He said this:

"My device detection is based on User-Agent string. I believe the problem is caused when my code identify some desktop web browser User-Agent as mobile ones. Could you ask these users send their User-Agent string to you, and then you forward to me, so I can improve my code? End users can find their web browser User-Agent from some free online tools, such as this one: http://www.iopus.com/imacros/demo/v5/user-agent.htm You can use Good to find more tools."

I don't know what a User Agent string is, but can you guys try to find out what your user string is, those of you who are seeing the new version that is? He said to go here:

http://www.iopus.com/imacros/demo/v5/user-agent.htm
Is the forum back to normal now? In any case, to those of you who got redirected yesterday, please go to the link above and find your User Agent string and post it here, so I can trouble shoot the problem with that android app.

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Back to normal now. I've just installed phpBB on one of my sites - it looks newer than your version. Have you customised yours with lots of things? My version has got much better smilies!!!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

xiongmao wrote:Back to normal now. I've just installed phpBB on one of my sites - it looks newer than your version. Have you customised yours with lots of things? My version has got much better smilies!!!
Can you go here and post your User Agent strings?

Yes your phpbb3 is newer, but I don't like the panel. It's more complicated and the themes look crappy, esp the default one. Of course this forum is customized with many mods. Haven't you noticed? Geez.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I'm going to install the Android app soon again. So if that affected your browser before, and you haven't sent me your User Agent String yet, please do so now, so I don't get complaints about it later. Here is the link again:

You can PM me your User Agent String if you don't want to post it.

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Don't know what my user agent is. Why don't you leave the forum as it is? Mobile users don't spend any money, so why bother with them?

I'm getting to grips with phpbb. Omg it's huge. I've figured out how to install mods and put PHP code in. Next I need to glue my PHP to the internal phpbb functions. If I customise my forum I think it will be a nightmare upgrading. Still my forum should be OK for a couple of years.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

xiongmao wrote:Don't know what my user agent is. Why don't you leave the forum as it is? Mobile users don't spend any money, so why bother with them?

I'm getting to grips with phpbb. Omg it's huge. I've figured out how to install mods and put PHP code in. Next I need to glue my PHP to the internal phpbb functions. If I customise my forum I think it will be a nightmare upgrading. Still my forum should be OK for a couple of years.
If you click the link I gave you above, it will tell you your User Agent String. You don't have to do anything. Did you try it?

More and more people are using Mobile Apps for their phone, iPad, and Tablets. So we have to evolve to meet up with the trend. Some users here may want to browse from such devices. So we do it for their convenience. It helps keep them involved. Come on. Do I have to explain that?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok I've just reinstalled the Android app. You can access it at the Android app link above.

If any of you get redirected to it from your computer, try to click "Options" and "Switch to Desktop" and see if that gets you back to the normal forum.

If that happens to you, please post your user agent string or PM it to me, so I can send it to the developer to get that fixed. To find it, simply go here and you will see it.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Has anyone been getting redirected to the mobile version on their PC or Mac again? Or is it not a problem this time?