Should Admin Disable The Shoutbox?

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.

Should the shoutbox be disabled?

Yes. Let's make it as hard as possible for these trolls to keep harassing the forum.
57%
No. The shoutbox is a useful tool for members who aren't trash to exchange valuable information.
43%

Total votes: 14
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Should Admin Disable The Shoutbox?

Post by Pixel--Dude »

@Cornfed
@WilliamSmith
@Yohan
@Lucas88
@publicduende
@MarcosZeitola
@MrMan
@Shemp
@Voyager1
@Natural_Born_Cynic
@gsjackson
@fschmidt
@Winston
@galii
@69ixine
@kangarunner

I've just tagged people who I know the most and who I've interacted with the most and who are still active on the forum, but anyone is welcome to pitch in and have a say. I'm sure you've seen Mercer mercerlessly trolling the shoutbox with his vile vitriol every time I go through the mundane process of sniffing out his bullshit accounts and removing him because he's permanently banned and too disruptive to be allowed to stay.

My question to all of you is: if Winston cannot find a way to make the shoutbox invisible and inaccessible to new, unregistered users should we just disable it so these trolls can't keep making throwaway accounts and spamming the shoutbox with shit attacking people's children and wives, or talking mad bollocks about everyone being FBI operatives and all that shit.

Submit a vote if you have an opinion. Also any suggestions on how to combat these shithead trolls (beyond having them whacked :lol: ) would be appreciated. If the shoutbox is disabled or made invisible to new users it means Mercer and PAG or any other shit for brains trolls have to put more effort into trolling by first having to make three posts that need to be approved by a moderator.

What are your thoughts guys? I'm keen to hear your feedback.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

galii
Experienced Poster

Re: Should Admin Disable The Shoutbox?

Post by galii »

I never deal with it but if it is toxic it should be dealt with.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

Shut it down. Useless feature anyway.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

I never use the Shoutbox but it shouldn't be ruined by some disgruntled former member seeking attention. Admin(s) will just have to keep banning these accounts.

My vote is no, even though I don't use the Shoutbox and even if the majority of votes are yes, Winston has said this is not a majority rules forum.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Voyager1 wrote:
August 27th, 2023, 8:39 am
I never use the Shoutbox but it shouldn't be ruined by some disgruntled former member seeking attention. Admin(s) will just have to keep banning these accounts.
The forum settings make it impossible for new users to have their posts show up until they are "approved" by a moderator. I'm sure @Winston, being the admin of this forum, can simply change the settings so unapproved new members can't use the shoutbox, either. It should be a relatively simple solution to the trolling problem.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

To close down the shoutbox is more or less a surrender to trolls. I rarely use this shoutbox, but my answer is NO. Do not shut it down.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
August 27th, 2023, 8:52 am
The forum settings make it impossible for new users to have their posts show up until they are "approved" by a moderator. I'm sure @Winston, being the admin of this forum, can simply change the settings so unapproved new members can't use the shoutbox, either. It should be a relatively simple solution to the trolling problem.
I think that this would be the best solution. Some responsible members like to use the shoutbox to express themselves and I don't see why they should lose that ability just because of a few unhinged trolls.

If the administration simply limits shoutbox access to approved members, then everybody here wins - except for the trolls! :lol:
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Hmmmm. It's almost neck and neck so far.

@MarcosZeitola & @Lucas88 unfortunately I don't know if @Winston can do that. He will have to see. I agree that this would he the ideal solution. The shoutbox should be for members of the forum to kind of kick back and engage in small talk and chit chat. It should also be for if people have any issues they want to bring to attention and it's also good for others to use it to post links to their threads.

I also agree with @Voyager1 and @Yohan in the sense that we shouldn't let assholes like Mercer ruin the shoutbox for everyone else. I can just delete every account he makes and whatever he posts in the shoutbox will just disappear anyway.

The easiest and best solution would be for Mercer to realise he is not welcome here and just f**k off. Whoever is behind that troll account must be a really tenacious and f***ed up individual. I really hope they get what's coming to them.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

@Pixel--Dude
Well based on how you phrased the poll ("No. The shoutbox is a useful tool for members who aren't trash to exchange valuable information") I had to vote "No," because like we were discussing in the shoutbox the past two days, I think you're right that it makes sense for only veteran users only (regardless of if they all disagree with or even hate each other, LOL) to be able to post in the shoutbox.
I don't know where the cutoff should be about how many posts a user should have before getting access and it's no business of mine to say since I'm also only a reasonably new member here for only a few years since I decided to bolt from the USSA, but it's not like anyone who wanted to be a legit contributor and share info here would be desperate to spam the shoutbox, so you and @Winston and maybe other forum "brass" like @gsjackson, @MarcosZeitola, @publicduende, @Yohan, etc, could talk about it and decide where the cutoff should be, right?

That'd take care of a lot of the troll problem there of people creating fake "sock puppet" accounts and filling the shoutbox with garbage (which they obviously do on purpose just to try to ruin the atmosphere of the place), rather than just disabling the whole shoutbox feature.

However, if it is impossible to restrict which users have access to the shoutbox, then it's not a big deal if you want to just shut it down so it's not parasitically leaching off your time to deal with the troll problem there. The shoutbox is not really an essential feature, even though it'd theoretically be fun to keep it if only users who actually like the forum are allowed to use it...
If you're serious about "taking the red pill," read thoroughly researched work by an unbiased "American intellectual soldier of our age" to learn what controlled media doesn't want you to see 8) : https://www.unz.com/page/american-pravda-series/
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
August 27th, 2023, 7:34 am
Shut it down. Useless feature anyway.
Agree 100%.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Okay. After reading some of your feedback I've decided that I agree with those who voted "no"!

f**k these trolls! I won't let them ruin the shoutbox for everyone else! I will ask Winston if he can make it invisible to new users, but if not then the shoutbox can stay. Just do me a favour and if any Mercer accounts post in there everyone should totally ignore them until I can get round to removing them all.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Never use it, don't really care either way. Maybe create a pinned thread called "Shoutbox Thread" to replace Shoutbox if moderation features only work for threads.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
August 27th, 2023, 3:43 am
@Cornfed
@WilliamSmith
@Yohan
@Lucas88
@publicduende
@MarcosZeitola
@MrMan
@Shemp
@Voyager1
@Natural_Born_Cynic
@gsjackson
@fschmidt
@Winston
@galii
@69ixine
@kangarunner

I've just tagged people who I know the most and who I've interacted with the most and who are still active on the forum, but anyone is welcome to pitch in and have a say. I'm sure you've seen Mercer mercerlessly trolling the shoutbox with his vile vitriol every time I go through the mundane process of sniffing out his bullshit accounts and removing him because he's permanently banned and too disruptive to be allowed to stay.

My question to all of you is: if Winston cannot find a way to make the shoutbox invisible and inaccessible to new, unregistered users should we just disable it so these trolls can't keep making throwaway accounts and spamming the shoutbox with shit attacking people's children and wives, or talking mad bollocks about everyone being FBI operatives and all that shit.

Submit a vote if you have an opinion. Also any suggestions on how to combat these shithead trolls (beyond having them whacked :lol: ) would be appreciated. If the shoutbox is disabled or made invisible to new users it means Mercer and PAG or any other shit for brains trolls have to put more effort into trolling by first having to make three posts that need to be approved by a moderator.

What are your thoughts guys? I'm keen to hear your feedback.
I don't use the shoutbox, so I don't really have an opinion.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
August 27th, 2023, 8:52 am
Voyager1 wrote:
August 27th, 2023, 8:39 am
The Shoutbox is an add on and option that I installed. It is not part of the default forum software, so there is no way to prevent new members from using it or block members from using it. Are guests who are not logged in able to see the Shoutbox?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:
August 29th, 2023, 3:10 am
The Shoutbox is an add on and option that I installed. It is not part of the default forum software, so there is no way to prevent new members from using it or block members from using it. Are guests who are not logged in able to see the Shoutbox?
Yes, I can see still the shoutbox after logout.