David Glasheen, Island Castaway

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Australia, New Zealand and the Oceania region.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

David Glasheen, Island Castaway

Post by kangarunner »

I posted this guy's story once on here but I came across a video of him again while I was googling islands in South America. I was always suspicious as far as how this guy gets to live on an island by himself since not just any random asshole can just rock up to an island and start building a home there without permission from someone. Since he was once a millionaire in Australia he probably had some connections to whoever owns the island and got a permit to live there.

This documentary is interesting. It's not the paradise you think it is. The guy has to fend off crocodiles around the island and snakes which bit his dog.

https://thehustle.co/the-millionaire-wh ... -castaway/
Glasheen doesn’t consider himself to be retired; there is a lot to be done on an island. Once littered with trash, Resto’s shores are now tidy and kempt. He’s planted hundreds of trees — palms, poinciana, casuarina — and takes pride in trimming his home’s small patches of grass.

He does enjoy several modern amenities:

A makeshift shower utilizes water sourced from four storage tanks and pipes that are heated by bamboo chips.
A gas-powered freezer, powered by a generator, houses perishables.
A satellite dish provides phone service and internet — though the latter is extremely slow.
A small boat, which he uses to venture back to civilization for supplies several times per year.
There are more than 30 sources of food on the island. Glasheen forages for beach almonds, wongai plums, and bush cherries. He gathers fresh oysters for lunch, and catches fish for dinner.

He also brews his own beer, which he occasionally barters with passing fishermen in exchange for crayfish and prawns. He takes pride in these negotiations, and says he once traded 12 bottles of grog (~$10 worth) for $400 worth of fish.

“It’s basic supply and demand,” says the ex-businessman. “If the fishos look tired and parched, I might charge a little more.”

By the way when i was on Con Dao island in Vietnam, there's 5000+ locals there and they live very peacefully and comfortably day to day without the dumbasses in the modern world bothering them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.