Questions about Africa

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Africa or the Middle East.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Rock wrote: I know what you mean about the dangers of traditional industry work in Taiwan. I used to manage a small factory at Chungli Industrial Park for foreign investors. One of our guys (a local) got 2 of his fingers seriously severed and was rushed to nearest hospital. I went to see him in emergency room right away and was shocked at the sight of other industrial accident victims. It was very ugly. A few months later, the chemical plant two doors down from us blew-up after work hours (it was totally leveled). Nobody was there as they only worked one shift but the noise level and vibrations from the shock waves (I was still at work) were incredible. I also visited a lot of larger factories for investors in the center and south of Taiwan, some which hired armies of foreign workers. Working conditions in the guts of some of the 'old school' industries were appalling - mind numbingly monotonous and very dangerous. In this sense, Taiwan was still very different from Western Europe or the States.

I just saw something on TV the other day where several people close to Bruce including Jabbar were interviewed about him. Of course they all had great respect but it sounds like he was very cocky (even bullly like) and pushed people around a lot, esp. after he went to HK. Someone even speculated that he may have pissed-off the wrong people in HKs film industry which turned karma against him and led to his early death.

I highly recommend watching the show "Blood, Sweat, & Takeaways". It shows the labor conditions in SE Asia and why so many left their home country to go work in TW, or marry off to TW to escape poverty. Unfortunately, some would get maimed or killed before they return home. I just came back from an assignment to a chemical factory and can relate to the dangers, we had to carry a breathing mask at all times, because if there was a leak you'd get killed breathing the stuff.

There's a controversy over the question of "did Bruce Lee attend Yip Man's funeral?" As a successful actor, he can afford to be arrogant, but not attending his master's funeral to pay respects is unforgivable. There's conflicted info on this, but since the guy is long dead, it's rather pointless after 40 years.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Everything i've read about Bruce Lee indicates that he had a wicked temper and was probably one of those guys who just didn't take any shit from anyone. Come on..he was around guys like Chuck Norris, Kareem, Steve Mcqueen (who was his pallbearer), and the like..

They were all film stars and primadonnas but the fact that he was friends with these people means that he probably wasn't too much of an asshole because I imagine their egos were as big or bigger than his. You have to remember the legend of Bruce Lee really didn't skyrocket until the latter 70's.

He was no saint that's for sure and he had a rep for womanizing too.

Then again so do stars like Jackie Chan. He spends his leisure time dipping into beauty pageants. :lol: If I was in his shoes you bet i'd be front and center at all the beauty pageants in asia as well.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

I don't know what all the commotion is about. African Americans ARE laid back, and easier to get along with.
Google
Freshman Poster

Re: Questions about Africa

Post by Google »

ladislav wrote:

Luanda Angola

:) LOL it's not Luanda - it's Madrid, Spain
Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

I like Namibia, especially their capital city. Windhoek - is relatively safe, modern, clean and well maintained city in Africa. In the city structured and effective work (full of traffic lights that work, excellent roads, there are beautiful gardens, boutiques, restaurants and modern shopping malls with european service, etc.). Namibia - one of the most civilizing and one of the best countries of Sub-Saharan Africa.

Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

Music Video from Namibia 2009 :
Diamond - the singer from Namibia. She has changed Windhoek.
Most girls in Namibia are now trying to look like these bad girl :(

and new video clip from Namibia :
Best Single Category Winner in the Namibian Annual Music Awards 2011