Ikizukuri or Ikezukuri

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Fantome Slashwrist
Freshman Poster

Ikizukuri or Ikezukuri

Post by Fantome Slashwrist »

Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it or have an opinion about it?

It's about eating a fish etc. while it's still kept alive, yet prepared by a chef.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Isn't that dangerous since fish contain bacteria that can make you sick if you eat it raw?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Nigiri sushi and raw oysters are consumed by people world-wide every day. When property prepared, sushi is safe to eat. The catch here is "properly prepared".

Sushi chefs use vinegar solution to kill bacteria and viruses. Some fish are frozen at -20c (?) by the supplier to kill any critters. The Chinese have a "drunken shrimp" dish where the shrimp is put in alcohol before consumption, the alcohol will also kill bacteria.

If you eat raw fish from improperly prepared restaurants or chefs, you can get everything from hep A to E. Coli.

Here in Los Angeles, certain fish caught in local waters contain the world's HIGHEST known DDT concentration. Many decades ago the world's largest DDT plant was located in Torrance, and they just ran a pipe out to sea and dumped waste water. There's an estimated 100 tons of DDT pollutants remaining scattered across the ocean floor off coastal LA, from its original 2,000 ton discharge.

Fish that are "bottom feeders", such as white croakers, eat worms and shellfish that feed in the ocean floor. These fish, along with local shellfish, are contaminated with various chemicals, as well as heavy metals like mercury. The level of pollutants contained in white croaker fish is 30 times above the CA State government's recommended maximum. Thus, we have signs by the beach and piers that says "do not eat this".

Top water fish, such as tuna, mackerel, yellow tail, barracuda, etc. are much safer, since fewer pollutants stay on top. Never the less, anglers are commended to eat skinless fillets only. Heavy metals like mercury reside in the skin and internal organs, by cutting them out, you'd reduce the intake. And if you want bottom fish, such as sand dabs, you need to catch them in deep water (100-300 ft) at least couple miles off-shore to be safe.
Fantome Slashwrist
Freshman Poster

Post by Fantome Slashwrist »

I don't know yet how the chef could clean a live carp without killing it and serving it while still alive and comsumers eating the fish alive. I also don't know how they could clean the bacteria off the carp without killing it.

I understand it takes the chef a long time to learn how to do this.

I reside in Ontario and I see some big carp in rivers and lakes.

When one catches a big carp with a fishing pole, it's like trying to pull in a piece of a log. The carp seems to have a lot of slow torque.

Return to “Health, Fitness, Nutrition, Food”