Why Flossing is BAD for your teeth - Why your dentist is wrong - Maverick dentist explains

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Winston
Site Admin

Why Flossing is BAD for your teeth - Why your dentist is wrong - Maverick dentist explains

Post by Winston »

Interesting talk below by a maverick dentist named Dr. Ellie Phillips who has been a dentist for 50 years. She explains why flossing is actually BAD for your teeth and does more harm than good, contrary to what your dentist and the dental industry has told you. It sounds crazy but she has some good valid points and the science backs her up if you look it up. In fact, the science has never actually supported flossing as being beneficial for you. Listen to her explain why. She makes a lot of sense. Lots of people brush and floss everyday yet have bad teeth still. She explains why. She says that the key to good dental health is not in brushing and flossing, but in having more good bacteria than bad bacteria in your mouth, having a good flow of saliva, and reducing acidity in the mouth. That makes sense. If you hear her out, you will see that she does make a lot of sense.

Her website about Xylitol and why it promotes good bacteria in your mouth.

https://shop.zellies.com/pages/what-is-xylitol

https://shop.zellies.com/pages/benefits-of-xylitol

Her shop on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/shop/dr.elliephillips
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why Flossing is BAD for your teeth - Why your dentist is wrong - Maverick dentist explains

Post by MrMan »

Thanks.

Btw, it sounds like she is really against flossing if you have an infection in your mouth.
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Re: Why Flossing is BAD for your teeth - Why your dentist is wrong - Maverick dentist explains

Post by TruthSeeker »

This woman is mad. Of course you need to floss after every meal. You need to remove any food stuck between your teeth especially if it's coated with sugar as this can lead to tooth decay.

She may make a valid point about the floss being coated with chemicals but you can simply buy unwaxed floss.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

TruthSeeker wrote:
August 8th, 2023, 12:44 am
This woman is mad. Of course you need to floss after every meal. You need to remove any food stuck between your teeth especially if it's coated with sugar as this can lead to tooth decay.

She may make a valid point about the floss being coated with chemicals but you can simply buy unwaxed floss.
Did you watch her lecture? She said flossing is ok if you just want to get food out of your gums. But it shouldn't be a daily routine because it can do more harm than good. For example if you floss everyday you can PUSH food DOWN into your gums, which will infect your gums and make them worse.

When I floss my teeth, I don't see any food particles at all. All I see is blood coming from my gums.

Btw, science backs up what she says about Xylitol and how it produces good bacteria in your mouth. See below.

https://wellnesse.com/blogs/health/xyli ... microbiome
How Xylitol Effects our Teeth

The main benefits of xylitol studied have more to do with dental hygiene.

Plaque bacteria do not metabolize xylitol, making it an effective agent against any build-up and other oral bacteria. Sugar and other sugar alcohols contribute to a less alkaline environment in the mouth. That allows acidic conditions to increase and bad bacteria (plaque bacteria) to grow. Issues like tooth decay and demineralization will occur more often, replacing healthy teeth with cavity-riddled ones.

Xylitol, on the other hand, does not undergo fermentation. It decreases these acidic conditions and does not feed the harmful bacteria growing in them. With a lack of food, it eliminates those bacteria and reduces their incidence. It also helps wash out harmful bacteria by stimulating salivary flow.

From the National Institute of Health:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4232036/
Xylitol reduces the levels of mutans streptococci (MS) in plaque and saliva by disrupting their energy production processes, leading to futile energy cycle and cell death.7 It reduces the adhesion of these microorganisms to the teeth surface and also reduces their acid production potential.8,9

Xylitol, like any other sweetener, promotes mineralization by increasing the salivary flow when used as chewing gum or large xylitol pastille. The uniqueness of xylitol is that it is practically nonfermentable by oral bacteria. Also, there is a decrease in levels of MS, as well as the amount of plaque, when there is habitual consumption of xylitol.10

From the California Dental Association:

https://www.cda.org/portals/0/pdfs/fact ... nglish.pdf
What is xylitol?

Xylitol is a natural sugar alcohol that helps prevents cavities. You
may recognize other sugar alcohols used in sugarless products,
such as mannitol and sorbitol. Xylitol is the sugar alcohol that shows
the greatest promise for cavity prevention. It is equal in sweetness
and volume to sugar and the granular form can be used in many of
the ways that sugar is used, including to sweeten cereals and hot
beverages and for baking (except when sugar is needed for yeast to
rise).

How does xylitol prevent cavities?

Xylitol inhibits the growth of the bacteria that cause cavities. It does
this because these bacteria (Streptococcus mutans) cannot utilize
xylitol to grow. Over time with xylitol use, the quality of the bacteria
in the mouth changes and fewer and fewer decay-causing bacteria
survive on tooth surfaces. Less plaque forms and the level of acids
attacking the tooth surface is lowered.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

Yes, I know of ppl who floss and their gums start bleeding.

If you floss 2-3 times a day your gums will "toughen up" and stop bleeeding.

Believe me you need to floss and brush after each meal. I have perfect teeth except for two cavities I received as a kid from eating too much sugary foods.

I once got a dentist pissed off w me because he could find nothing wrong and wouldn't go for his preventative treatment.

I am in the KNOW.