Is science actually advancing?

Discuss science and technology topics here.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Yes and no. 3d printing and hackerspace projects are exciting and I believe they can change the world. Otherwise, if you are talking about large scale progress, I think it is dead for the most part.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

zacb wrote:Yes and no. 3d printing and hackerspace projects are exciting and I believe they can change the world. Otherwise, if you are talking about large scale progress, I think it is dead for the most part.
How is 3d printing not large scale progress?
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I mean in the sense of it being developed on a large scale by a bureaucracy or in the sense of having as many of society's resources invested in it.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
fuzzy_corleone
Freshman Poster

Post by fuzzy_corleone »

I think there's way too much politics involved in the scientific fields. Science has been on a decline since the U.S. government made a mockery of it by staging a fake moon landing and concocting bullshit like 'climate change'. If I were ever rich I'd probably fund a secret underground research lab where we'd make advances in: quantum computing, nuclear fusion, nanotechnology, stem cell research, antigravity, etc. We're in the year 2013 we should have flight-capable robots by now and colonizing the moon. But all of that has been halted by external forces like politics.

The only area where real advances are being made are in the military-industrial complex where the government spends most of its money. So if the technology has no military application then there won't be much funding for it.