Hogwarts Sorting Hat

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Hogwarts Sorting Hat

Post by Pixel--Dude »

I'm not especially a fan of Harry Potter. My daughter likes it so I got her the Hogwarts Legacy game so she can explore the Hogwarts castle and just goof around in general. She told me she wants to be Gryffindor because the main characters of the movies are all Gryffindor. But after looking into the different houses and their values and characteristics I thought my daughter is more like a Hufflepuff than a Gryffindor. Then it got me thinking:

I wonder what houses the users of the forum identify with.
@Lucas88
@Tsar
@WilliamSmith
@MrMan
@Outcast9428
@Cornfed
@Winston
@AngeloTheMage
@gsjackson
@WanderingProtagonist
@MarcosZeitola

In the series I think a mistake J.K made was not fleshing out the other houses enough and not making them more nuanced. She creates a dichotomy of good and evil in black and white terms with Gryffindor representing forces of good and Slytherin representing forces of evil. The other houses have little to no presence.

The series features this sorting hat which decides which house someone belongs in based on their personality. Likewise, I'd like for each of you to read the description offered and assign yourself to whichever house you identify with the most and why. It doesn't matter if you're a fan of the franchise or not. I just think it's interesting.

GRYFFINDOR

Gryffindor values courage, bravery, nobility, and chivalry. Gryffindor's mascot is the lion, and its colours are scarlet red and gold (maroon and gold on the ties and scarves).

They don't take themselves too seriously and are playful, trusting and loyal. Their confidence can make them prone to reckless behaviour. They are prone to procrastination and can be idealistic. They are not afraid to stand up for what they believe is right and are wary of those who seek to manipulate them.

Gryffindors tend to have a strong moral centre and are not afraid to act on their morals to make changes.

HUFFLEPUFF

Hufflepuff values hard work, patience, justice, and loyalty. The house mascot is the badger, and canary yellow and black.

Hufflepuffs are hard working and determined and tend to be good hearted and giving types of people who have an interest in nature and animals. They are compassionate and dependable, but can also be passive and naïve.

A Hufflepuff's loyalty is not free, however. It is selective and based on fairness, but will be prominent throughout the application.

RAVENCLAW

Ravenclaw values intelligence, learning, wisdom and wit. The house mascot is an eagle and the house colours are blue and bronze.

Ravenclaws value knowledge and wisdom. They are often inquisitive, logical, curious and creative types. They wish to understand the workings of things and are fond of intellectual discussions.

They can be cynical and sometimes impractical.

SLYTHERIN

Slytherin values ambition, cunning, leadership, and resourcefulness. The house mascot of Slytherin is the serpent, and the house colours are green and silver.

Slytherins are bold, intelligent and charming individuals who are often machiavellian and sometimes ruthless. Not gratuitously mean or disloyal, but they are very selective with whom they are loyal to.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Outcast9428
Experienced Poster

Re: Hogwarts Sorting Hat

Post by Outcast9428 »

Probably Gryffindor because of my idealism and moralism. I also take loyalty very seriously and am very committed to it. My girlfriend on the other hand is a Hufflepuff lol. She’s very sweet, nurturing, and dependable but she’s also pretty passive and naive.
WanderingProtagonist
Experienced Poster

Post by WanderingProtagonist »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 12:49 pm
I'm not especially a fan of Harry Potter. My daughter likes it so I got her the Hogwarts Legacy game so she can explore the Hogwarts castle and just goof around in general. She told me she wants to be Gryffindor because the main characters of the movies are all Gryffindor. But after looking into the different houses and their values and characteristics I thought my daughter is more like a Hufflepuff than a Gryffindor. Then it got me thinking:

I wonder what houses the users of the forum identify with.
@Lucas88
@Tsar
@WilliamSmith
@MrMan
@Outcast9428
@Cornfed
@Winston
@AngeloTheMage
@gsjackson
@WanderingProtagonist
@MarcosZeitola

In the series I think a mistake J.K made was not fleshing out the other houses enough and not making them more nuanced. She creates a dichotomy of good and evil in black and white terms with Gryffindor representing forces of good and Slytherin representing forces of evil. The other houses have little to no presence.

The series features this sorting hat which decides which house someone belongs in based on their personality. Likewise, I'd like for each of you to read the description offered and assign yourself to whichever house you identify with the most and why. It doesn't matter if you're a fan of the franchise or not. I just think it's interesting.

GRYFFINDOR

Gryffindor values courage, bravery, nobility, and chivalry. Gryffindor's mascot is the lion, and its colours are scarlet red and gold (maroon and gold on the ties and scarves).

They don't take themselves too seriously and are playful, trusting and loyal. Their confidence can make them prone to reckless behaviour. They are prone to procrastination and can be idealistic. They are not afraid to stand up for what they believe is right and are wary of those who seek to manipulate them.

Gryffindors tend to have a strong moral centre and are not afraid to act on their morals to make changes.

HUFFLEPUFF

Hufflepuff values hard work, patience, justice, and loyalty. The house mascot is the badger, and canary yellow and black.

Hufflepuffs are hard working and determined and tend to be good hearted and giving types of people who have an interest in nature and animals. They are compassionate and dependable, but can also be passive and naïve.

A Hufflepuff's loyalty is not free, however. It is selective and based on fairness, but will be prominent throughout the application.

RAVENCLAW

Ravenclaw values intelligence, learning, wisdom and wit. The house mascot is an eagle and the house colours are blue and bronze.

Ravenclaws value knowledge and wisdom. They are often inquisitive, logical, curious and creative types. They wish to understand the workings of things and are fond of intellectual discussions.

SLYTHERIN

Slytherin values ambition, cunning, leadership, and resourcefulness. The house mascot of Slytherin is the serpent, and the house colours are green and silver.

Slytherins are bold, intelligent and charming individuals who are often machiavellian and sometimes ruthless. Not gratuitously mean or disloyal, but they are very selective with whom they are loyal to.
I don't anything about Harry Potter at all, but as far as living go. I would rather choose an Adam's Family style manor since it suits the type of clothing I wear. All dark, gloomy, and Gothic on the inside.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

I've never read Harry Potter because I'm not a nerd and have actually slept with a girl and the franchise always struck me as a bit gay.

But I definitely fit the description of Ravenclaw. I value the pursuit of wisdom and erudition and have my own creative projects. I'm not particularly cynical but I can sometimes be impractical and often require a more grounded mentor in my life to guide me.
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

This series came out after I had already pretty much stopped paying any attention to talmudvision and MSM, so I have just seen Harry Potter stuff on the TV passively while my little sisters watched DVDs of them a lot. (I had neither a positive or negative view of them, other than thinking kindly of them because my sisters loved them so much. But even if I'd have never expressed my own silent "criticisms" and spoiled the fun for the girls, the series just seemed a bit dull to me, like most things made in the post 1990s era to me, but nevermind that).

As for my choice... well, I never read the books and never even paid enough attention to the films to even know which house was which, but the obvious choice from reading your description is staring me in the face:
RAVENCLAW

Ravenclaw values intelligence, learning, wisdom and wit. The house mascot is an eagle and the house colours are blue and bronze.

I'd rather be some superman like Conan the Barbarian / Mac Bolan and whatever other "rugged individualists" rolled up into one are out there, but reality = that describes me pretty well, even if I do my best to to put effort into physical fitness. :lol:

You also should hear the dramatic sounds of the big ravens beating their wings when they'd fly over my rustic home territory out in the PNW woods, LOL.
If you're serious about "taking the red pill," read thoroughly researched work by an unbiased "American intellectual soldier of our age" to learn what controlled media doesn't want you to see 8) : https://www.unz.com/page/american-pravda-series/
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

I think I saw the first Harry Potter movie many years ago. That wasn't children's reading when I was a child.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

@MrMan & @WanderingProtagonist even if you are not familiar with the houses of the movies, which of the four houses would you chooses based on the descriptions offered for each.

I would also be a Ravenclaw the same as @Lucas88 and @WilliamSmith. I value knowledge and wisdom above all else. And so Ravenclaw is the best fit for me.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 12:49 pm
SLYTHERIN

I could be in any of the four houses because of my qualities but I would ultimately be in Slytherin. The description for Slytherin completely describes my personality type. Often times, if a person can be many things, it comes down their personality. I guessed without even looking at the descriptions that I would probably be a Slytherin.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑

Return to “Movies, TV, Music, Celebrities, Entertainment”