Severance

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Severance

Post by Pixel--Dude »

I just watched the first episode of a show with an interesting premise. Severance is a show about an office where you have a surgical procedure which effectively separates your work life from your home life. When you enter the workplace, you forget everything about your home life. And when you leave the workplace and go home, you forget everything about the workplace.

It made me wonder. Would I have such a procedure if it were widely available? It would mean part of me would never have to think about the hell that is my job, but at the same time part of me would be eternally trapped there. Kind of...

Here's a trailer for the show:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQP4VVuyrY&pp[/youtube]

Would you have the severance procedure to separate your work and home life? Or not?
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Severance

Post by MrMan »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
April 29th, 2023, 4:49 pm
I just watched the first episode of a show with an interesting premise. Severance is a show about an office where you have a surgical procedure which effectively separates your work life from your home life. When you enter the workplace, you forget everything about your home life. And when you leave the workplace and go home, you forget everything about the workplace.

It made me wonder. Would I have such a procedure if it were widely available? It would mean part of me would never have to think about the hell that is my job, but at the same time part of me would be eternally trapped there. Kind of...

Would you have the severance procedure to separate your work and home life? Or not?
The show looks interesting. I can the see the advantage for corporate security. I can't see the advantage for the employee. Could you imagine only working and not getting downtime... as far as you can remember as the employee?
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

MrMan wrote:
April 29th, 2023, 8:51 pm
Pixel--Dude wrote:

The show looks interesting. I can the see the advantage for corporate security. I can't see the advantage for the employee. Could you imagine only working and not getting downtime... as far as you can remember as the employee?
For the employee I think it has advantages and disadvantages. For the part of you that isn't at work at least you never have to think about work. Hating my job as much as I do I've been spending the last few days dreading going back to work. I wouldn't have to think about going back to that hellhole because I wouldn't know anything about it. On the other hand though, the part of me that would be at work would be a raving loonatic :lol:

The show itself though is pretty interesting, MrMan. I recommend it if you haven't started watching it already. I've only watched episode 1 so far, but my brother and a couple of friends said it is pretty dark and also one of the best shows they have seen in a really long time.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
April 30th, 2023, 1:14 am
MrMan wrote:
April 29th, 2023, 8:51 pm
Pixel--Dude wrote:

For the employee I think it has advantages and disadvantages. For the part of you that isn't at work at least you never have to think about work. Hating my job as much as I do I've been spending the last few days dreading going back to work. I wouldn't have to think about going back to that hellhole because I wouldn't know anything about it. On the other hand though, the part of me that would be at work would be a raving loonatic :lol:

The show itself though is pretty interesting, MrMan. I recommend it if you haven't started watching it already. I've only watched episode 1 so far, but my brother and a couple of friends said it is pretty dark and also one of the best shows they have seen in a really long time.
I probably need to reduce TV show watching. I don't watch as much as I did when I was a teenager or a young man. But still it isn't productive. But if I do, maybe I'll drop a streaming service when a deal runs out and pay for Apple's service.

I don't know who would go for a surgery like that if they had a real choice. Imagine working all the time. If they had places for people to do it, I'd imagine it could lead to a lot of infidelity, also, spreading diseases, etc.

There was a TV show along these lines late in the first decade of the early 2000's, also Christian Slater. The guy was some kind of spy. They didn't present it as having an operation to split work you from leisure you, but that is kind of how it worked on the show most of the time, but the other personality might have slept with his wife at home, and he didn't like that. I didn't watch that much of it and I think it got cancelled fast. The two personalities were kind of like fighting against each other after the regular guy found out about the spy. The regular guy had a job, too, and was shut off when he went into the spy office.

Return to “Movies, TV, Music, Celebrities, Entertainment”