Anyone seen the movie 'The Sound of Music'?

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
nicho12
Freshman Poster

Anyone seen the movie 'The Sound of Music'?

Post by nicho12 »

I was watching the sound of music yesterday and I almost broke into tears. It probably was made in the 1950's, the women were very feminine, the men were very manly and I don't mean just having muscle but also a manly code of behavior like being intellectual, being able to lead, having confidence etc. The women were very warm, sweet and feminine and followed their men and not the other way around, the kids were all dressed nicely, girls in dresses and boys in shorts or trousers etc. In general people looked very civilized. Now compare that to today's jungle of feminism, it's almost like a crime if you try to compare the two societies. It's amazing how 60 years of social engineering can do to a society
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

That is one of the best movies ever made, but be careful not to be seduced by they great production quality. Life is not really like that and that is why people love that movie.
nicho12
Freshman Poster

Post by nicho12 »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:That is one of the best movies ever made, but be careful not to be seduced by they great production quality. Life is not really like that and that is why people love that movie.
I know, but at least it inspires both un corrupted young men and women to strive for better family lives instead of striving for today's artificial inauthentic feminist Hollywood culture
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

If this is the same "The Sound of Music" you saw (see below link), it was made in 1965, not in the 1950s, and the story setting took place in Austria circa 1938 before Hitler annexed it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059742/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

By the way, reality wasn't like that. That was Hollywood you saw.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Halwick wrote: By the way, reality wasn't like that. That was Hollywood you saw.
The reality of Austrian alp country certainly is equivalent to what you saw in the movie. It was filmed in and near Salzberg; I lived in Innsbruck, about 75-100 miles away, which is even more spectacular.

As far as the people go, I believe the real Maria was a rather large, severe looking hausfrau. Looked nothing like Julie Andrews. Don't know about other discrepancies. The family musical act continued in the US for many years.

The early post-WWII era musicals were Jewish productions that idealized the United States and its status as a safe harbor for refugees ("we know we belong to the land, and the land we belong to is grand"). And also idealized the role of the allies in WWII. The state of Israel was being created around this time, and these themes accompanied its labored birth. That idealism looked past some antisemitism in the US that was still quite significant into the '50s, and the episode of a ship filled with Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany, the St Louis, that was turned away by the US in the '30s.

These musicals certainly fed into the idea of American exceptionalism that helps prop up our various war efforts. Some see the musicals as a form of Jewish propaganda to keep the American booboisee ignorant of social reality and jingoistic. I can see that, but still like this musical form quite a bit.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Anyone seen the movie 'The Sound of Music'?

Post by Jester »

nicho12 wrote:
I was watching the sound of music yesterday and I almost broke into tears. It probably was made in the 1950's, the women were very feminine, the men were very manly and I don't mean just having muscle but also a manly code of behavior like being intellectual, being able to lead, having confidence etc. The women were very warm, sweet and feminine and followed their men and not the other way around, the kids were all dressed nicely, girls in dresses and boys in shorts or trousers etc. In general people looked very civilized. Now compare that to today's jungle of feminism, it's almost like a crime if you try to compare the two societies. It's amazing how 60 years of social engineering can do to a society
The story of a woman coming to help a widower with kids, then marrying him, was not unusual in past times. There is one family like that in my own ancestry. The wife died, and her sister came to help out with the kids. After a few months, they had to marry, as my mom related, "because people were starting to talk".

Re "Sound of Music", if the movie were made today, it would be about a single mom, who has a younger man come live-in to help out with the kids.

So can't blame you, nicho, for liking the movie. You instinctively recognize how different it was from the slop we are dished out now.

I remember seeing this in a theater. Spectacular.

Maria sitting on the pinecone placed on her seat at the dinner table, as subdued as the scene is for our tastes now, was the most outrageous, sexiest thing my young eyes had seen at the time. :o :wink:
nicho12
Freshman Poster

Post by nicho12 »

Jester wrote:
nicho12 wrote:
The story of a woman coming to help a widower with kids, then marrying him, was not unusual in past times. There is one family like that in my own ancestry. The wife died, and her sister came to help out with the kids. After a few months, they had to marry, as my mom related, "because people were starting to talk".

Re "Sound of Music", if the movie were made today, it would be about a single mom, who has a younger man come live-in to help out with the kids.

So can't blame you, nicho, for liking the movie. You instinctively recognize how different it was from the slop we are dished out now.

I remember seeing this in a theater. Spectacular.

Maria sitting on the pinecone placed on her seat at the dinner table, as subdued as the scene is for our tastes now, was the most outrageous, sexiest thing my young eyes had seen at the time. :o :wink:
You're absolutely right, I wish they could make more movies like that instead of the filth that comes out of the sewers of Hollywood nowadays
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

nicho12 wrote:
I wish they could make more movies like that instead of the filth that comes out of the sewers of Hollywood nowadays
They won't.

It's up to us.