Latin Freestyle - An Underrated Music Genre

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Latin Freestyle - An Underrated Music Genre

Post by Lucas88 »

Latin Freestyle is a genre of electronic dance music which emerged in New York City in the 1980s, primarily among Hispanic (especially Puerto Rican) and Italian Americans. It is characterized by heavy syncopated percussion and upbeat melodies with lyrics about love, heartbreak and revelry in the context of an urban environment. Latin Freestyle is said to trace its origin to the unique new sound of Afrika Bambaataa's "Planet Rock". Shortly thereafter groups/artists like C-Bank and Shannon adopted that sound and set the prototype for the genre.

Latin Freestyle quickly became popular throughout the NYC club scene and was promoted by various radio stations before spreading to other major cities, most notably Miami, Philadelphia and Los Angeles, each with their own Freestyle scene. The original NYC Latin Freestyle is typically grittier and somewhat moodier, reflecting the harsh urban environment in which it was conceived. Miami Latin Freestyle on the other hand tends to be more upbeat and optimistic. The genre would remain strong throughout the 80s until fizzling out in the early 90s and being superseded by new subgenres of Dance as well as R&B.

I discovered Latin Freestyle music in the late 2010s and really like some of its stuff. I think that the genre is largely underrated.

C-Bank - One More Shot (1982)

C-Bank is a project of John Robie and this track features Jenny Burton as the vocalist. One of the greatest Freestyle songs ever. A true masterpiece with its emphatic percussion and such passion and a sense of melodrama in the vocals. "One More Shot" was the first Freestyle song I discovered and it blew me away!

C-Bank - Get Wet (1983)

Another energetic track from C-Bank, this time with Eleanore Mills on Vocals.

Amoretto - Clave Rocks (1986)

Jeanette de Jesús on vocals. This awesome track might as well be an anthem for Latin Freestyle. By now the genre has a clear Latin character.

Sa-Fire - Don't Break My Heart

Sa-Fire - Let Me Be the One (1987)

Two neat tracks by well-known artist Sa-Fire.

Noel - Silent Morning (1987)

Noel Pagán, one of the biggest artists of the Latin Freestyle scene of the late 80s.

Sweet Sensation - Hooked on You (1988)

Popular female trio from The Bronx.

Raiana Paige - Open Up Your Heart (1989)

A rare gem with such a catchy melody.

The above are some Latin Freestyle tracks that I wanted to share.

What do you think, @Pixel--Dude? I know that I've shared C-Bank with you before. Do you like the unique, uplifting and often entrancing sound of the genre?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Re: Latin Freestyle - An Underrated Music Genre

Post by Lucas88 »

Here is some Miami Latin Freestyle.

Exposé - Exposed to Love (1987)

Exposé - Let Me Be the One (1987)

Exposé - Point of No Return (1987)

Company B - Fascinated (1986)

Company B - Book of Love (1987)