Americas First Pot Stores Open

Discuss news and current events around the world.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Colorado ushers in the new year as the first US state to allow retail cannabis sales. Washington state is expected to open more than 300 pot shops in June.

Colorado Pot Sales To Begin In 2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNMI3548CZc

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot. ... en-in.html
Last edited by Taco on January 2nd, 2014, 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

Good to see, hope the Federal Governments butts out of these states affairs. Whatever states legalize it, will benefit economically from it. I expect that Las Vegas, Nevada will jump on board this year if the Feds leave the other states alone. I don't even like pot, but I think this is a great thing happening...

Next thing should be closing prisons and letting all the non-violent criminals (not really criminals) out of prison...
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

We had about 1,000 "medical marijuana dispensaries" here in Los Angeles a few years back, declining to under 500 earlier this year before Proposition D passed, which aims to cap it at 135 in the city.

While "medical marijuana dispensary" isn't technically a retail store by name, in effect you could go to a number of doctors that advertise on local magazines that'd write you a prescription to qualify for the medical MJ card. Just say you have a "headache" or something.

Marijuana was California's #1 cash crop, but the legalization (or semi-legalization) has crashed the price by half. Seasonal workers from other states used to arrive in Northern CA looking for jobs to harvest MJ, but they're out of luck now. Due to the lower prices, drug cartels are rounding up poor farmers in Mexico and shipping them to CA to work as slave labor on the MJ farms, with their families as hostage back in Mexico.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

About time. Viva la revolution!
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

The timing of US pot legalization is suspect.

Many including myself believe that a civil in America is not far off. What better way dumb down the masses that by legalizing pot, men won't feel like doing anything. In a similar way, Russia keeps the price of vodka artificially low so its male population is constantly drunk and therefore unable to fight against the government.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

It makes great tea, it boosts your immune system & flushes toxcisites, & calms you, Jah-mann :mrgreen: Are ppl in that state allowed to grow it too, maybe a potted plant ??

- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

Taco wrote:The timing of US pot legalization is suspect.

Many including myself believe that a civil in America is not far off. What better way dumb down the masses that by legalizing pot, men won't feel like doing anything. In a similar way, Russia keeps the price of vodka artificially low so its male population is constantly drunk and therefore unable to fight against the government.
I think that ANYTHING the government does these days is "suspect". I am certain there is an ulterior motive for everything they do just like I'm certain that anything they do will not be for the benefit of The People. That is why I worry that they won't actually allow complete drug legalization.

I still think that pot legalization is a very good thing for now. Those that don't use it now (before legalization) will not be as likely to use it after legalization. Part of the appeal of drugs is the fact that they are illegal...use is rebelliousness. Take that away and it's not nearly as exciting for some people. Also, overall violence should decline rabidly as profits for criminals have been taken away with legalization. Lastly, too many families suffer with family members in prison for non-violent "drug crime". Too many are unemployed due to criminal records they never should have had. These people have to do SOMETHING to make $$ in order to survive for the rest of their lives so they turn to crime as the only option. I think it's time to fix all the BS that the drug war and prison industrial complex has caused...