What is the coup in Thailand about?

Discuss news and current events around the world.
Winston
Site Admin

What is the coup in Thailand about?

Post by Winston »

I heard on the radio news that there is some kind of coup in Thailand that has overthrown the government. What is that about? And what is the Thai King doing about it?

Any of you there that can shed light on this?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Try Google, BBC, and Wikipedia.

Latest updates at https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow

I was in Thailand on the night of the coup. Most locals didn't panic and thought it was just part of the normal cycle of Thai politics.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Coups in Thailand is a semi-regular occurrence.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

What? Overthrowing a government is a big deal, not a casual occurrence. Was the coup that brought down the USSR a casual thing too? It seemed like it I guess, since it happened in one day.

What is being overthrown in Thailand? Is the King safe from it?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Winston wrote:What is being overthrown in Thailand? Is the King safe from it?
I would say that the Thai monarchy is safe from it. They are billionaires and some of the richest people in the world. There have been many revolutions in Thailand and the monarchy survived. I think the Thai monarchy have sacrificed much of their actual political power and abstain from getting involved in those conflicts. It's a military coup against the parliamentary government, not really a quarrel with the Thai monarchy. Many monarchs know that if they overstep the limits imposed upon them by internal threats (or in some cases American or British pressure or the Rothschild's pressure) they will be deposed, so the Thai monarchy survives by understanding the limits imposed upon them. In exchange for that bargain they likely survive. Similar to how the British monarchy survived by giving in to the Rothschilds and forsaking the Romanovs but rescuing the Greek monarchy. Or the Japanese monarchy that surrendered to America in a grand bargain that their Emperor and monarchy survive. The parliament is being overthrown in Thailand and being replaced with military rule for awhile. There were conflicts between the supporters of one faction in parliament and the supports of another faction. The civil unrest caused by those conflicts resulted in a military coup. It's much different from the USSR or anti-monarchist coups.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Guys I'll remind you not to discuss the Thai monarchy in a political context. Continuing to do could lead to the site being blocked in Thailand, and trouble for our members who are living there.

Winston - I recommend you lock/delete this thread.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Its just pure greed. Thailand is what for rest of South East Asia what America is for Mexicans.

Thailand has one of the lowest unemployment rate in the world. You would see probably more Ferrari's in Bangkok than probably back home.

Bangkok was the most visited city on the planet overtaking even London and New York last year. Most rich Thai's are swimming in tourist dollars, many countries like Japan and Korea have already eased visas for Thais.

Basically, The elites in Bangkok like aka New York , Wall street...Do not want to give power away to majority poor which is currently a government supported by poor regions of Thailand. The current government want to share its wealth to everyone...The elites don't want that...

Thailand has so much money for everyone now - A Thai guy...Can get laid, get a house, have multiple gf's, get cheap insurance, get car, get a job, party all night...He can get everything he wants in Thailand...Generally unrest, civil war etc happens when people are unhappy...Here its just pure greed...few wants to own it all...

I have a feeling this time it will be different...as poor Thai's have woken up to the charade....The military has taken over everything censoring media and taken custody of journalist who speak against the coup....The poor Thai's who were beginning to make money have woken up....Basically, Military rule is giving control back to the elite...

Its just like America or other countries...The wall street and bankers owning the government and using military as their fixers on the ground...Its like a mafia
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:What? Overthrowing a government is a big deal...
Not in Thailand, it happens frequently, every few years or so. The Thai have to fight it out among themselves. Not our business, we are foreigners.

I can only advice foreigners to refrain from any form of political comment. Never join any demonstration while you are in Thailand.

If you are a foreign tourist, enjoy your stay. Go swimming or talk to girls or whatever. Especially in places with many foreign tourists there are plenty of Thai people who continue to work normally, like hotel staff, bus drivers, sales related staff etc. etc.

Many ordinary Thai people are totally fed up with all these demonstrations which are now going on since many months.

I can assure you, that many services are working normally, flights to/from Bangkok are operating on time, buses are moving on and ferries will bring you to islands for diving - Thai borders are open to all neighbouring countries.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

xiongmao wrote:Guys I'll remind you not to discuss the Thai monarchy in a political context. Continuing to do could lead to the site being blocked in Thailand, and trouble for our members who are living there.

Winston - I recommend you lock/delete this thread.
I second this, which was why I asked Winston to use Google, BBC, Wikipedia, and whatever search engine or news website.

You can ramble on and on about political parties, but please, don't talk about the monarchy.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

xiongmao wrote:Winston - I recommend you lock/delete this thread
The present situation and the safety of foreigners - and there are millions of foreigners visiting Thailand every year - are clearly worth a discussion.

I see no reason why this thread should be locked or deleted. What is wrong with this thread?

Last time Thai demonstrators were occupying even Bangkok International Airport over weeks, causing a lot of problems for a huge number of unrelated foreigners who had nothing to do with Thai politics.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Just a short update:

I am now in Pattaya/Jomtien and all here is operating normally. No sign of any police, soldiers or demonstrations. Airport is open, airport bus is operating - no reason to be worried about anything.
green1976
Freshman Poster

Post by green1976 »

That doesn't suprise me everything is going on correctly.

Thailand knows for a long time political troubles but you won't get anything near what you can find in countries where military power is tyrannical criminal behavior.
Unless i heard some very bad news,there is no reason to cancel a trip.

I'm coming in 2 weeks to Pattaya and maybe see a friend who is in Chonburi..Thailand stay Thailand..let's the party beggin and i hope the political problems won't pertube the Thailand i've know for many years.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Have a nice trip, green 1976!

As a foreigner, simply stay away from any demonstration (but there is nothing like that in the Pattaya/Jomtien area), do not make any political statement and urge your Thai friends with you to do the same. Enjoy your life.

In Thailand it's merely about a power game between the rich and superrich of the society. Their politics is not your problem.