Alan Watts - Great Zen Talks and Lectures on Eastern Philosophy (Zen, Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism)

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Alan Watts - Great Zen Talks and Lectures on Eastern Philosophy (Zen, Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism)

Post by Winston »

“Let's suppose that you were able every night to dream any dream that you wanted to dream. And that you could, for example, have the power within one night to dream 75 years of time. Or any length of time you wanted to have. And you would, naturally as you began on this adventure of dreams, you would fulfill all your wishes. You would have every kind of pleasure you could conceive. And after several nights of 75 years of total pleasure each, you would say "Well, that was pretty great." But now let's have a surprise. Let's have a dream which isn't under control. Where something is gonna happen to me that I don't know what it's going to be. And you would dig that and come out of that and say "Wow, that was a close shave, wasn't it?" And then you would get more and more adventurous, and you would make further and further out gambles as to what you would dream. And finally, you would dream ... where you are now. You would dream the dream of living the life that you are actually living today.” - Alan Watts

Enjoy the Dream combines the brilliant speech of Alan Watts with relaxing ambient music and binaural frequencies (432 Hz).

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Alan Watts - Great Zen Talks and Lectures on Eastern Philosophy (Zen, Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism)

Post by Winston »

Check out this guy called the Sanity Machine ripping apart Alan Watts. He makes some valid points about how the reason he's still so popular long after he's dead is because people LOVE easy answers to all of life's questions. And Alan Watts has simple answers to all of life's problems and he makes people feel good too. That definitely appeals especially to Americans, and that's why new age gurus are so popular even though all they do is spout useless cliches with no real solutions. Americans love easy answers that make them feel good, that's for sure. However, this guy's obsession with suffering is kind of morbid and demented. If you listen to him, you will see this. This guy must have suffered more than we did. Geez. You can really sense it in his tone and attitude. He's far more negative and jaded than even we are. I didn't know anyone could be worse than us. Lol

Some comments I left below his video:

Stephen, you are right about Alan Watts having no solutions. However why do you harbor such disdain for anyone who isn't suffering all the time like you are? You can't expect everyone to be like you. Some people are happy and have a good life. Why can't you admit that? Why do you harbor disdain for anyone who isn't suffering and unhappy like you are? That's not mentally or spiritually healthy and lowers your vibration. Don't you know that?

Stephen, you make valid points about Alan Watts and how people love easy answers in life. Very true. Same with other new age gurus like Wayne Dyer and Deepak Chopra. However, to be honest your obsession with suffering seems kind of morbid and macabre. It's not good for your mental health or spiritual health to be that fixated on suffering. Sure suffering is part of life but you don't need to be obsessed with it. Extremes are never good. The ancient Greeks and Chinese said that everything should be in moderation, not in extremes. Even too much love is no good. So hence too much fixation on suffering is definitely not good for sure. Just being honest. It's something for you to consider.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

A great and simple short lesson from Alan Watts that will help you all see the big picture and stop trying to force one duality to win over the other.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/h_W3lYMv7aU

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

In this clip, Alan Watts makes a good point about why optimists are miserable people contrary to American belief, and why it's a mistake to seek some fulfillment or purpose in the future rather than in the present. Great wisdom and lesson.

Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

@Winston I actually really like Alan Watts. I think he's really good for a modern philosopher and he has good knowledge of Hindu and Taoist philosophy. I often listen to his lectures.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Alan Watts makes a great point in this lecture clip that the American concept of loving yourself is an illusion and like trying to kiss yourself, which you can't do. Great point. I've always found the American concept of "loving yourself" to be weird, awkward, unnatural, and useless. Loving yourself doesn't make yourself feel good or satisfy your need for love and romance and female companionship. So what's the use of it? Americans don't make sense.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

In these three lecture clips below, Alan Watts explains why money is a hypocrisy, global illusion, and destructive to human beings and society. Very profound and brilliant insight.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Great dissertation by Alan Watts about why the universe's imperfections are actually perfections. I've had this insight before too but found it hard to put into words. It's very enlightening when you grasp it for a while.