Capitalization Rules for Titles from Grammarly (Optional)

Announcements and site updates.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Winston
Site Admin

Capitalization Rules for Titles from Grammarly (Optional)

Post by Winston »

Hi Everyone,
This is optional, but just wanted to share this with you. According to proper rules of English grammar, you aren't supposed to capitalize every word in a title. Some of you do that, like many Americans do, but it's considered bad form. So here are the capitalization rules for thread titles from Grammarly if you want to do it the correct way.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/capitali ... he-titles/

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/capitalization-rules/

Basically, in titles, such as thread titles or article titles, you're not supposed to capitalize conjunction words like "to, at, and, the, for, but, or, by, of, in, on" unless they are the first or last words of the title. You are only supposed to capitalize the first letter of nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. The rules also state that conjunctions that are longer than four letters should be capitalized, such as "Within" or "Without" for example. But not if they are four letters or less, such as "with". For more info, see the links above.

Btw, all this is optional. You don't have to follow these rules of course, since this forum is informal. But it looks better if you do. The thing is, when words like "and, or, of" are capitalized it looks weird and off. So lately I've been going through all my audio and video files (thousands of them) to fix such mistakes, since I'm a perfectionist with OCD, so stuff like that starts to annoy me, especially if I'm not in a happy environment, which makes me uptight, because NE Asia and America are very uptight cultures and environements of course, not free flowing or relaxed.

Anyway, hope you all learn something from this. Lots of people capitalize every single word in a title, including conjunction words like "of" which looks off. I hate seeing that big "Of" in a title for some reason. Looks out of place. Unless of course it's at the beginning or end of a title.

Btw, if there's a colon or dash in a title, like this "Title Name - Title Name" or "Title Name: Title Name" then the part after the colon/dash is treated like a new sentence, so you can begin with a capitalized conjunction again at the start of that part. Like this for example: "Getting Out of America - The Stuff You Need to Know". The word "The" is capitalized after the dash because it's like a new sentence. But if "the" is in the middle of the title, then it should be lowercase like this "Getting the Heck Out of America".
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

rudder
Junior Poster

Re: Capitalization Rules for Titles from Grammarly (Optional)

Post by rudder »

Thanks. Those are details I've actually been curious about lately when emailing people.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

This is an interesting issue for some people. As far as I am concerned, anything I do regarding English usage is right by definition.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Don't you guys think it looks tacky when a title contains this: "Of The" or "And The"? That looks tacky. That's why reporters and journalists follow those guidelines above when capitalizing titles in their articles. They put conjunctions in lowercase unless it's the first or last word in the title. Doesn't "of the" and "and the" look far better and less tacky?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Spencer
Junior Poster

Post by Spencer »

Winston wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 6:40 am
Don't you guys think it looks tacky when a title contains this: "Of The" or "And The"? That looks tacky. That's why reporters and journalists follow those guidelines above when capitalizing titles in their articles. They put conjunctions in lowercase unless it's the first or last word in the title. Doesn't "of the" and "and the" look far better and less tacky?
Yes agree sooo tacky use Of The or And The and so anoyingly why people use the bad spell and bad gramatical for this buthersom for prefectionalist wordman like wiseton so please aborders take more carfuly on writ of postings to follow rules if not dicklectical
"Close mind genus more dangrous than 10,000 dumwits" - Spencer

"Wiseton is a very dynamic individual, what most would call a genius. He's started a movement, and only genius types can do such a thing." - Boycottamericanwomen