HA is now hosted on a VPS (Virtual Private Server)

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Winston
Site Admin

HA is now hosted on a VPS (Virtual Private Server)

Post by Winston »

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Hi folks,
We've just migrated to a Virtual Private Server on Bluehost. We now have our own server with a dedicated unique IP that is not shared by other sites! Now we are one of the "big boys" online! :)

You should begin seeing a great improvement in browsing speed and performance now. I've optimized the hosting on our server for optimum performance. So you should see results immediately. We will also be cached on multiple cloud servers around the world for faster performance. And we will have high level security and protection from spam and hacking scripts too. In addition, our ranking in search engines should begin improving as well!

We've taken a whole step up here at HappierAbroad. :)
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

To Everyone:

So does the forum load much faster and smoother now? Why isn't anyone saying anything? Isn't anyone going to thank me?

Geez. You guys are so unappreciative. I worked really hard on this migration. And you guys don't even have word to say about it?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Openly said, I do not see much difference, about the same.

It might be true that the HA-pages are now SLIGHTLY loading faster, but there are also these inserted advertisements from somewhere else, and they do NOT load faster than before.

Sometimes, after a page is starting, I get now the impression, it is hanging up for a few seconds. 5 or 10 seconds sometimes. It will only continue to load and to complete the texts of the comments AFTER all advertisements are downloaded and operating.

All in all, I am here in Japan and if you ask me, it's about the same. Generally the HA-website is doing well. No major problems seen before and now. - Do others have a different impression? Is it really faster now in USA? Or elsewhere?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yohan wrote:Openly said, I do not see much difference, about the same.

It might be true that the HA-pages are now SLIGHTLY loading faster, but there are also these inserted advertisements from somewhere else, and they do NOT load faster than before.

Sometimes, after a page is starting, I get now the impression, it is hanging up for a few seconds. 5 or 10 seconds sometimes. It will only continue to load and to complete the texts of the comments AFTER all advertisements are downloaded and operating.

All in all, I am here in Japan and if you ask me, it's about the same. Generally the HA-website is doing well. No major problems seen before and now. - Do others have a different impression? Is it really faster now in USA? Or elsewhere?
Yes I'm on a mini-laptop with limited resources. And the difference is loading speed on my laptop is HUGE. Big difference. If you are in Japan, you are fetching the site from farther away, so it will be slower for you.

Which inserted advertisements do you mean? Where? Can you be specific? Do you mean there are pop up ads? There should be no pop up ads here.

One of my ads is a script that feeds my ads from a third party site. Yeah. That one hangs sometimes. But doesn't seem to anymore. I am considering removing it.

But I changed my Google Adsense code to asynchronous, so that the page will not have to wait for the script to load before the page itself loads.

Also we are on Cloudflare now, which will minimize the php and html scripts to make them load faster. And it will cache this site on many other local servers.

All of this should be tripling our page load speed. It hasn't for you? Can you clear your cache and try browsing here again?

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:
Which inserted advertisements do you mean? Where? Can you be specific? Do you mean there are pop up ads? There should be no pop up ads here.

One of my ads is a script that feeds my ads from a third party site. Yeah. That one hangs sometimes. But doesn't seem to anymore. I am considering removing it.
What I mean and what is hanging up and slowing down the download of the page are the advertisements and links between the first comment and the second comment of the page.

HA is loading the upper part of the page quickly - then is hanging up a little - until the advertisement appears and this is not from USA - there are 2 lines, one seems to refer to loveme.com with a few pictures of women, the next line is advertisement in Japanese language with Japanese prices from HIS travel agency (the largest travel agent in Japan - a serious company, it is not something like a sex-provider-link).

The loading of comment no. 2 and the rest of the page will only start until this advertisement part of the website is complete.
This can take only a few seconds, but sometimes up to 5 or even 10 seconds.

The download in generally for the entire page is - just my impression - SLIGHTLY faster than before. Not much difference seen.

Yes, my cache is empty, the internet speed here is optical fiber, 100M, operating system is windows 7 in one computer, in the other one XP. Browsers are Firefox, Chrome and IE.

In general HA is performing good, no complaints, design is also good, just my opinion - the only problem I see are these advertisements between comment no. 1 and the other follow-up comments.

They are also the reason of hanging up after posting a new comment when the pageincluding my new comment is reloading.

I can send you a screenshot if you want to see your page how it is displayed in Japan.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yohan,
Yeah I know what you mean. That script is coming from a third party that feeds from another third party. That's why. The page does freeze until it loads. The dating site photos load up fast, but the ad under that is Google Adsense. Not a Japanese ad. lol. Google merely showed you that because you are in Japan. lol

The thing is, if I remove it and put the Adsense direct code instead, we could start getting flagged again for adult content and images, because the Adsense autobot will only evaluate pages that have the Adsense code on them. I hate having that risk looming over. That's why it's set up like that.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
I've just enabled Rocket Loader from Cloudflare on this site.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us ... Loader-do-

Rocket Loader will load up pages super fast, in milliseconds, less than a second, because it will load up the page itself first, and then the ads (javscripts) later. As a result, Google will detect a much faster loading speed, and so will Pingdom. I already tested it and this site loaded up in milliseconds!

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt

A faster loading speed will increase a site's search ranking too.

But Rocket Loader is in beta mode though, so let me know if there are any problems.

jtest28
Freshman Poster

Post by jtest28 »

What slows loading a page down big time is so obvious, yet always overlooked. Its the picture size! I don't mean the size they're being displayed on the screen, I mean the picture file size. Look at the avatars and right-click them and see what a large file size they really are. Its not uncommon to see a 60 X 60 pixel picture, REALLY turn out to be 600 X 600 and have like 200KB to it. At least they were the last i checked this site. No one knows what an image cruncher is? LOL
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Winston wrote:Hi all,
I've just enabled Rocket Loader from Cloudflare on this site.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us ... Loader-do-

Rocket Loader will load up pages super fast, in milliseconds, less than a second, because it will load up the page itself first, and then the ads (javscripts) later. As a result, Google will detect a much faster loading speed, and so will Pingdom. I already tested it and this site loaded up in milliseconds!

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt

A faster loading speed will increase a site's search ranking too.

But Rocket Loader is in beta mode though, so let me know if there are any problems.
I had to turn off Rocket Loader. Although the pages were loading up super fast, when the ads streamed in afterward, the page would freeze up for a few seconds while it was doing that. It got annoying after a while, because after the page loads, you are ready to scroll or type but then it has to freeze a few more seconds to deliver the ad scripts. Perhaps the less interference with the loading process, the better. We are already on a VPS anyway and should have fast loading times because of that.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: HA is now hosted on a VPS (Virtual Private Server)

Post by Winston »

I don't understand something. This site worked far better under shared hosting, which is 1/10 the cost of VPS hosting. Shared hosting also has unlimited space and is automated by admins and creates automatic daily backups for free. None of this is offered on VPS which costs 10 times more. So what's the logic of staying on VPS? Why does anyone use VPS? My friend long ago urged me to move to VPS. He turned out to be wrong. It's been nothing but trouble, as you all know. And 10 times the price too.

I talked to Bluehost admin support about this. Here's what they said. I don't get what they mean, but they sound like they prefer me to upgrade my account and pay even more, rather than going down to shared hosting. Do any of you know what they are talking about? Are they BSing? lol. What do you think @MrPeabody and @Yohan? Are they making sense or just trying to upsell me?

From Bluehost support email:
Hello Winston,

Thank you for contacting Bluehost Support. My name is Kenneth and I have been reviewing your case further. As before, you brought up various questions/concerns, so I'll break each item down below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Shared vs VPS Hosting

First, I apologize if my previous email led to you believe shared would was "guaranteed" not to work. Rather, my intention was to convey that it "might" not work. We cannot say one way or the other as we're not involved in the development of your applications. Shared hosting is a restrictive and controlled environment. There may be certain modules or applications you have installed on your VPS that are not installed on our shared servers. Furthermore, since shared hosting offers no root access or environment control to you, you might not be able to install any such needed module or application. Additionally, we would not install it for you, as we do not offer root environment changes in our restrictive and controlled shared hosting environments. In short, you are certainly welcome to move to a shared hosting server, however, I want to make certain you understand it may result in issues with your sites/applications, and we would not assist in resolving that.

The pricing between shared and VPS hosting is not solely based on level of support offered to the end user. Rather, it's more best on the product being offered. With shared hosting, you are given a single user on a server with hundreds of other users. You are not allow root access nor will we change things about the server environment for you. Additionally, there are various limits placed in shared hosting for things like number of processes allowed for a user. Also, you mentioned "unlimited" disk space on shared, which is mostly true. There are still limits to the physical disk drive, we just do not enforce a specific limitation on your user. However, we retain the right in our Terms of Service to have you remove content should you start causing issues for the server or other users due to aggressive use of disk space. For many small businesses, this is perfectly fine and we offer this cheaply to reflect the minimal amount of product offered. As for VPS hosting, you are given a full server environment just for you. You get root access and freedom to install or do whatever you want with it (to a degree). This allows much more control over how your content is hosted and is some times needed by certain applications/sites that shared hosting may be too restrictive to host.

As such, the comparison of shared vs VPS hosting is not really a "more vs less" comparison. Rather, it's a comparison of what each offers for unique use cases and circumstances. However, if you want to treat it as which products gets more, VPS hosting has far more as you are given hardware space just for you and control over how it is used. The possibilities are more open-ended for a VPS.

More specifically to the level of support offered to the end user in each product, there's not a large difference. Yes, shared hosting does have regular backups we take, but VPS hosting has the same ability. We just don't manage it for you on VPS hosting. Additionally, while we offer managed backups on shared, we don't offer you any control over how they are managed. Furthermore, our Terms of Service for shared hosting states that we do not guarantee the backups, and highly recommend you still keep and manage your own backups as well. Also, in shared hosting we do actively monitor the server's performance and health, however, we still do not offer help or assistance with your website content or development. In short, if you are wanting to move to shared hosting as you believe we'll offer you more assistance with things, that's not truly the case. I just want to make sure you have the right expectations about things.

2) Migrating Content

You mentioned the database being fragile and are worried about migrating yourself. Based on this, I would highly recommend you not look for us to migrate it for you. We're not involved in your application development or content creation. As such, we would not be aware of how fragile certain data is or notice obvious issues with data as you might, since you're more familiar with the content.

Additionally, in regards to restoring content, that's not generally something we offer. We have been assisting with it up to this point as a courtesy. However, the expectation should not be that we'll continue to restore content for you all the time. On shared hosting, this is slightly different, but again we do not recommend relying on our backups or restores as your sole option.

If you plan to move to shared hosting, I highly recommend you consult a developer or your own server administrator.

3) Removing Database happier2_phpbbbackup

It looks like actions you took mostly deleted the database. Here is a link with what the server currently reports as being left for data.

https://privatebin.support-tools.com/?f ... 23+04ISTc=

As you can see in the link, viewing the database within the MySQL structure shows no tables. So, from the perspective of MySQL, the database is empty. However, looking at the filesystem for the database, we can see around 622 MBs of data. This is from leftover temporary files created from past repair attempts. As such, they aren't really useful data and likely MySQL was having issues cleaning these up (resulting in the error you noted).

Overall, the database no longer has any table data. We can certainly remove the remaining leftover data for you to free up that little bit of extra disk space. If you would like us to do this, please respond with:
"I authorize Bluehost to drop the database happier2_phpbbbackup and remove all files in the directory /var/lib/mysql/happier2_phpbbbackup. I understand this is permanent and there is no recovery."

4) Disk Usage

First, here is a link with overall disk usage report, a disk break down of the top level directories, and then further disk break down for the top 3 directories.

https://privatebin.support-tools.com/?a ... q02HXdD/Y=

From the above, your VPS only has 30 GBs of disk in total. With a cPanel management server, around 8-12 GBs are going to be used just for the software to run the server. This includes things like: Linux, cPanel, Apache, MySQL, PHP, and more. There are quite a lot of things that go into just getting the server to a point where web hosting can be done. As such, a 30 GB disk is not really ideal for production website hosting. These are mostly offered as an entry point into VPS hosting for those users first moving to it or for those developers who need an experimental environment to test development on.

As mentioned in a previous email, my suggestion would be to look at upgrading your VPS to have more disk space. However, you can also look at reducing disk usage. For this, from the highest 3 directories, there is: /home, /usr, and /var.

/home - This is directory holds your cPanel user account(s). Data stored here would include things like website files, emails, user configurations, ftp uploads, and so on. Anything you as a user have created is likely stored here. As such, you could review for any old web content that's not used anymore or emails you've been saving. There is also some logging data that gets saved here, but usually it will be less than 2 GBs and is regularly rotated as old logging is remove and new logging is created.

/usr - There is not really anything that can be removed here. This directory will mostly hold data related to system applications needed for running your web hosting.

/var - This directory holds logging data, some system cache, and also your database file systems. As with logging data from /home, logging data here is usually not more than around 2 GBs. Most often, this directory will be large in size due to lots of databases or large databases. As such, if you wanted to reduce usage in this directory, I recommend reviewing database content.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, as I've mentioned in the past email, you should review your applications/web content with a developer. We're not well suited to advise you on what type of hosting will work best for your content, as we're not involved in the design, development, or day-to-day operation of it.

publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Winston wrote:
July 17th, 2022, 3:57 am
I don't understand something. This site worked far better under shared hosting, which is 1/10 the cost of VPS hosting. Shared hosting also has unlimited space and is automated by admins and creates automatic daily backups for free. None of this is offered on VPS which costs 10 times more. So what's the logic of staying on VPS? Why does anyone use VPS? My friend long ago urged me to move to VPS. He turned out to be wrong. It's been nothing but trouble, as you all know. And 10 times the price too.

I talked to Bluehost admin support about this. Here's what they said. I don't get what they mean, but they sound like they prefer me to upgrade my account and pay even more, rather than going down to shared hosting. Do any of you know what they are talking about? Are they BSing? lol. What do you think @MrPeabody and @Yohan? Are they making sense or just trying to upsell me?

[...]
@Winston in a nutshell, a Virtual Private Server is a virtual machine, so a "slice" of the computing and storage resources of a physical server (say, 8 CPU cores, 32 GB RAM and 4 TB storage), which is dedicated to you and your activities, in this case hosting Happier Abroad.

It does indeed give you a lot more flexibility, in the sense that all you need is a few hours a month from a DevOps on hire (I am sure you can find some really cheap ones from Sri Lanka these days!) and you can have sterling maintenance of your website and forum, including database backups, latest version installation etc.

True, VPS and dedicated DevOps (maintenance) are a good notch above the kind of service you're having, but they might solve the problem of HA being overly slow, timing out or having repeated database failures.

If you care about securing HA for the next few years, it might be a good investment.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

@Winston If your hosting company (BlueHost) cannot tell you the exact reason why your site keeps crashing, then dump them and switch to better hosting company. I've had very good experience with putting my clients on Siteground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

publicduende wrote:
July 17th, 2022, 5:07 pm
Winston wrote:
July 17th, 2022, 3:57 am

[...]
@Winston in a nutshell, a Virtual Private Server is a virtual machine, so a "slice" of the computing and storage resources of a physical server (say, 8 CPU cores, 32 GB RAM and 4 TB storage), which is dedicated to you and your activities, in this case hosting Happier Abroad.

It does indeed give you a lot more flexibility, in the sense that all you need is a few hours a month from a DevOps on hire (I am sure you can find some really cheap ones from Sri Lanka these days!) and you can have sterling maintenance of your website and forum, including database backups, latest version installation etc.

True, VPS and dedicated DevOps (maintenance) are a good notch above the kind of service you're having, but they might solve the problem of HA being overly slow, timing out or having repeated database failures.

If you care about securing HA for the next few years, it might be a good investment.
@publicduende: I don't think you read my post correctly. We've been on VPS since 2014 or so. It's been nothing but trouble. The forum crashed far less on SHARED hosting with Godaddy. So VPS has been a lot of trouble with no benefits. What's the benefit of paying 10 times more for less hosting space and more problems and no free backup like with shared hosting? I can't see any logical reason. Can you? It's not like we have millions of people on here that would require dedicated hosting. Premium shared hosting has plenty of backup resources and I don't have to manage any server. Why do I need to manage the server if admins can manage it? As long as it's running why would I need to manage it? I don't get that.

So basically I don't need to control my server on a VPS or have control over aspects of the server. All I want is for the forum and site to run smoothly and for the process to be as automated as possible. Shared hosting should be enough for that. I don't see why having control over aspects of a server is necessary at all. I prefer to focus on content creation, not managing a server.

kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

Winston wrote:
July 18th, 2022, 9:59 am
PD, I don't think you read my post correctly. We've been on VPS since 2014 or so. It's been nothing but trouble. The forum crashed far less on SHARED hosting with Godaddy. So VPS has been a lot of trouble with no benefits. What's the benefit of paying 10 times more for less hosting space and more problems and no free backup like with shared hosting? I can't see any logical reason. Can you? It's not like we have millions of people on here that would require dedicated hosting. Premium shared hosting has plenty of backup resources and I don't have to manage any server. Why do I need to manage the server if admins can manage it? As long as it's running why would I need to manage it? I don't get that.
@Winston You're with a bad web hosting company. Dump them and switch to better hosting. Godaddy is a domain / marketing company. Their web hosting is 100% trash too. Siteground and Hostinger are good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

My reply to the long email above from Bluehost admin:

"Hi Kenneth,
Thanks for the long detailed response. But in a nutshell, the main thing is that I am not looking for more control over my server. I just want it to run smoothly. So the more automation and stability, the better. I am not interested in tweaking little aspects and parameters of the server. I just want it to be smooth and stable so my forum can run smoothly with as much automation as possible, and with the least amount of maintenance possible. So I am not seeking control, I am seeking automation and stability. So the less control, the better. I prefer to focus on content creation for my website, not on having deeper control of the server and its aspects.

I did upgrade my VPS before. It increased my cost from $29 to $50. So I had to pay almost double. To prevent my forum from crashing. The thing is, when I was paying 7 dollars a month on shared hosting on Godaddy, the forum crashed less. So why would I keep needing to upgrade and add resources, when I can pay much less? Bluehost shared hosting starts at $3 a month for the basic, and a little more for premium. If I just want stability, why would I need a VPS? It's been nothing but trouble and my forum has been less stable on it than it was on shared hosting years ago.

You said you can't migrate my site down to shared hosting. However, I'm sure you can if you really wanted to. The thing is when I was on Bluehost shared hosting, they upgraded me to VPS for free. At that point, my whole site was migrated into VPS instantly with a push of a button. Therefore, in theory it can go the other way too. As they say, what goes up must come down. The problem is, you prefer that customers pay more, not less. So you rather have me upgrade than downgrade. Right? So if I want to pay more, you upgrade for free, if I want to pay less, you don't offer to downgrade me for free. Isn't it obvious that this is just basic marketing? I wasn't born yesterday. Bluehost obviously wants me to do what's the most profitable for it, not what's the most logical. Right?

Also, tech support told me that you can migrate me to shared hosting for a fee of maybe 99 dollars or something. Not sure if that's official or something you do under the table?

What do you think?

Thanks,
Winston"