Make Money Online

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Make Money Online

Post by kangarunner »

Look, I'm no expert at this, because if I was I wouldn't waste time posting on this forum. But I will tell you guys that the 2 other sites I just started a few months ago are now getting URLs indexed by Google. More indexed URLs = more visitors = more ad revenue.

If I could, I'd jam out 1000's of websites and just shit out pages on the Internet with the goal of getting as many visitors for ad money. If one site can make $200/month, then why not make 100s of sites that make $200/month?

The thing is, you have to know what people are searching for. TikTok is literally drug addiction in app form. The creators behind TikTok are drug manufacturers getting people addicted.

Basically, my advice is to find a niche with a large enough audience that doesn't have a good website for it yet, and create high quality content that Google will love and index the URLs. Then market your site on social media to get traffic to it. Then put ads on it.

You also have to understand who your visitors are and the kind of people they are.

https://www.blackhatworld.com/forums/
https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Blogging/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ecommerce/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Re: Make Money Online

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

kangarunner wrote:
January 21st, 2024, 10:49 pm
Look, I'm no expert at this, because if I was I wouldn't waste time posting on this forum. But I will tell you guys that the 2 other sites I just started a few months ago are now getting URLs indexed by Google. More indexed URLs = more visitors = more ad revenue.

If I could, I'd jam out 1000's of websites and just shit out pages on the Internet with the goal of getting as many visitors for ad money. If one site can make $200/month, then why not make 100s of sites that make $200/month?

The thing is, you have to know what people are searching for. TikTok is literally drug addiction in app form. The creators behind TikTok are drug manufacturers getting people addicted.

Basically, my advice is to find a niche with a large enough audience that doesn't have a good website for it yet, and create high quality content that Google will love and index the URLs. Then market your site on social media to get traffic to it. Then put ads on it.

You also have to understand who your visitors are and the kind of people they are.

https://www.blackhatworld.com/forums/
https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Blogging/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ecommerce/
Sounds cool, but can you tell me your progress so far? Can you share it with us? I'm a curious cat.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 6:41 am
Sounds cool, but can you tell me your progress so far? Can you share it with us? I'm a curious cat.
I'm just using my knowledge of what I've learned from working as a web developer with different companies and throwing up sites with content to see if I get visitors. It's a slow haul the first few months (very little traffic) but once the traffic starts coming in, then the ad money comes in.

My friend had a site where he wrote very detailed blog posts (1000 words) for highly searched keywords and then put Amazon affiliate links on them. He told me sometimes he makes $500/month and on good months more than that.

kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

The younger generation (Gen Z and the one after them Gen Alpha?) are going to change how the Internet works. That's just how tech works. The older generation makes something, then the younger generation comes in and changes everything again.

If I had $500k to throw into Bitcoin I would because it will probably double in value by next year.

Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

kangarunner wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 6:50 am
January 22nd, 2024, 6:41 am
I'm just using my knowledge of what I've learned from working as a web developer with different companies and throwing up sites with content to see if I get visitors. It's a slow haul the first few months (very little traffic) but once the traffic starts coming in, then the ad money comes in.

My friend had a site where he wrote very detailed blog posts (1000 words) for highly searched keywords and then put Amazon affiliate links on them. He told me sometimes he makes $500/month and on good months more than that.
That's cool. Can you tell me which affiliate tiktok sites you have worked on? If you don't mind.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

kangarunner wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 6:52 am
The younger generation (Gen Z and the one after them Gen Alpha?) are going to change how the Internet works. That's just how tech works. The older generation makes something, then the younger generation comes in and changes everything again.

If I had $500k to throw into Bitcoin I would because it will probably double in value by next year.
The younger generation knows shit about nothing. That's my feeling. Ours (Gen X) is the generation of people who changed the world with hard technology: communications protocols, software engineering, high-performance computing, AI models and algorithms.

Millennials to a lesser extent and Gen Z to a much greater extent, want to make money easily piggybacking on "our" innovations. They make money creating contents on YouTube or TikTok but they have never written a line of code, nor they know how a geographical cache or a video streaming algorithm works. They think they know about "Web 3.0" and "the future of finance" because they get to know what's the next meme token to buy from Reddit.

I see glimpses of luck and a lot, and I mean a lot, of laziness mixed with arrogance in the latest generations.

Remember that, during the crazy years preceding the Wall Street Crash of '29, even taxi drivers and secretaries were making bucketloads on money by investing on the stock market. We know how it all ended...
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

publicduende wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 6:58 am
kangarunner wrote:

The younger generation knows shit about nothing. That's my feeling. Ours (Gen X) is the generation of people who changed the world with hard technology: communications protocols, software engineering, high-performance computing, AI models and algorithms.

Millennials to a lesser extent and Gen Z to a much greater extent, want to make money easily piggybacking on "our" innovations. They make money creating contents on YouTube or TikTok but they have never written a line of code, nor they know how a geographical cache or a video streaming algorithm works. They think they know about "Web 3.0" and "the future of finance" because they get to know what's the next meme token to buy from Reddit.

I see glimpses of luck and a lot, and I mean a lot, of laziness mixed with arrogance in the latest generations.

Remember that, during the crazy years preceding the Wall Street Crash of '29, even taxi drivers and secretaries were making bucketloads on money by investing on the stock market. We know how it all ended...
True that. Today's kids are dumb as a brick and does what Tiktok saids. No critical thinking skills.

Wait until A.I takes over. The next generation will be dumber than before because the A.I does all the work.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

publicduende wrote:

There's intelligent people and dumb people in every generation.

You're talking about a segment of the generation. What you don't see are the young ones who are quietly studying computer science in university, working together in online teams, and applying their knowledge to build things. You've obviously never met a millenial or a Gen Z who could literally show you up with their advanced knowledge/intelligence.

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

publicduende wrote:
kangarunner wrote:

How much code does the typical GenXer know? How about Baby Boomers? I got interested in computers because the gifted kids in elementary school got to play video games on them, so I applied and got accepted after they were all done with the video games... I mean computers. So I volunteered at the library, where the computers and the video games were. Then I got an Atari 2600. I got an Atari 130XE (a souped up 800), and a friend of mine was into writing computer programs, so I tried it and learned a little Atari BASIC. I took a computer class in high school and learned a little Apple BASIC. I learned that I did not want to go into computer science.

Most people don't want to do coding. It's tedious work. I copied pages of BASIC code out of a magazine as a teen to make a face on my computer. There was no control-F function on my computer, and I couldn't dump the code into AI to ask questions about it. It didn't work, and I realized trouble shooting for recreational coding just wasn't worth my time.

A lot of Baby Boomers and some Gen-Xers had to survive using DOS code. That's about all they did. But percentage wise, were there more Gen-X programmers as a percentage of the population than there are among Millennials and Gen Z? Is there evidence to support that? It is possible that is the case in the US, with it's emphasis on using class time to teach gender ideology, and the kids watching shorts and reels all the time. If TV was bubble gum for the mind, is TikTok a shot of crack for the mind? It could be most of the programmers of that generation are overseas.

But if it is possible to make money making YouTube videos and TikToks, then some non-technical minded people are going to use simple tools online to make that happen. That doesn't mean there are no programmers in the age groups that do a lot of this.

Gen Xers also built on what baby boomers and previous generations had done. I am a Gen-Xer, and back in the 1980's the baby boomers and older folks had already taken computing down from large room-sized machines using tape and punch cards to something that would fit on a desk. They had invested in production facilities and brought down the costs of making floppy disks and CD-ROMs. They had invented a couple of smaller sizes of floppy disks. Moore's law was being followed like a prescriptive text and the ball had already been rolling. IBM had created and given up the exclusive rights to the basic computer architecture. Gen-X is building on the foundation laid by previous generations.

Oh, yeah, and don't forget about Babbage back in the 1800s.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

kangarunner wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 7:09 am

You're talking about a segment of the generation. What you don't see are the young ones who are quietly studying computer science in university, working together in online teams, and applying their knowledge to build things. You've obviously never met a millenial or a Gen Z who could literally show you up with their advanced knowledge/intelligence.
On the contrary, I have met quite a few of them, and that's the problem! I am not saying Gen Z'ers are not smart.

They have an attitude problem. In short, they want to work less, pay less dues to "the system", and feel more successful. They tend to show off more having objectively achieved less. Even the better ones who quietly study Computer Science at the better colleges, basically prefer using ChatGPT and a few tutorials on Medium to solve a problem, rather than gaining a broad understanding of how one gets from that problem to one, possibly more than one, solution.

They are also a product of the collective shift from code to infrastructure. Why learning multithreading, memory management and process affinity when one can easily scale a piece of code contained in a web server, contained in a container, contained in a pod or cluster, contained in a cloud? Nowadays one just needs to learn TypeScript and use it to build back-ends with Node and front-ends with React or Vue, to feel an accomplished "full stack" engineer and claim $250K a year, at the ripe age of 23, after 3 years of experience.

And, what's probably most pathetic, they openly mock the old schooler Boomers and Gen X'ers because they had to work harder and they couldn't make nearly as much money as they are, because TikTok and crypto didn't exist back then.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

MrMan wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 7:39 am
publicduende wrote:
kangarunner wrote:

How much code does the typical GenXer know? How about Baby Boomers? I got interested in computers because the gifted kids in elementary school got to play video games on them, so I applied and got accepted after they were all done with the video games... I mean computers. So I volunteered at the library, where the computers and the video games were. Then I got an Atari 2600. I got an Atari 130XE (a souped up 800), and a friend of mine was into writing computer programs, so I tried it and learned a little Atari BASIC. I took a computer class in high school and learned a little Apple BASIC. I learned that I did not want to go into computer science.

Most people don't want to do coding. It's tedious work. I copied pages of BASIC code out of a magazine as a teen to make a face on my computer. There was no control-F function on my computer, and I couldn't dump the code into AI to ask questions about it. It didn't work, and I realized trouble shooting for recreational coding just wasn't worth my time.

A lot of Baby Boomers and some Gen-Xers had to survive using DOS code. That's about all they did. But percentage wise, were there more Gen-X programmers as a percentage of the population than there are among Millennials and Gen Z? Is there evidence to support that? It is possible that is the case in the US, with it's emphasis on using class time to teach gender ideology, and the kids watching shorts and reels all the time. If TV was bubble gum for the mind, is TikTok a shot of crack for the mind? It could be most of the programmers of that generation are overseas.

But if it is possible to make money making YouTube videos and TikToks, then some non-technical minded people are going to use simple tools online to make that happen. That doesn't mean there are no programmers in the age groups that do a lot of this.

Gen Xers also built on what baby boomers and previous generations had done. I am a Gen-Xer, and back in the 1980's the baby boomers and older folks had already taken computing down from large room-sized machines using tape and punch cards to something that would fit on a desk. They had invested in production facilities and brought down the costs of making floppy disks and CD-ROMs. They had invented a couple of smaller sizes of floppy disks. Moore's law was being followed like a prescriptive text and the ball had already been rolling. IBM had created and given up the exclusive rights to the basic computer architecture. Gen-X is building on the foundation laid by previous generations.

Oh, yeah, and don't forget about Babbage back in the 1800s.
And not to mention massive outsourcing of IT work to India and others in the 2000's.
And the continued advancement of A.I and robotics.
very few people will know how to code manually in the future because the A.I does all the work for them.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

publicduende wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 7:56 am
kangarunner wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 7:09 am

On the contrary, I have met quite a few of them, and that's the problem! I am not saying Gen Z'ers are not smart.

They have an attitude problem. In short, they want to work less, pay less dues to "the system", and feel more successful. They tend to show off more having objectively achieved less. Even the better ones who quietly study Computer Science at the better colleges, basically prefer using ChatGPT and a few tutorials on Medium to solve a problem, rather than gaining a broad understanding of how one gets from that problem to one, possibly more than one, solution.

They are also a product of the collective shift from code to infrastructure. Why learning multithreading, memory management and process affinity when one can easily scale a piece of code contained in a web server, contained in a container, contained in a pod or cluster, contained in a cloud? Nowadays one just needs to learn TypeScript and use it to build back-ends with Node and front-ends with React or Vue, to feel an accomplished "full stack" engineer and claim $250K a year, at the ripe age of 23, after 3 years of experience.

And, what's probably most pathetic, they openly mock the old schooler Boomers and Gen X'ers because they had to work harder and they couldn't make nearly as much money as they are, because TikTok and crypto didn't exist back then.
Don't worry, those arrogant imbeciles will be replaced by A.I anyway in 5-10 year period. After that very very few people will know how to code manually. :lol: And if the A.I goes rogue like Terminator style then we all be f*cked.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

MrMan wrote:
That you, only tepidly curious about computer programming, bothered to learn BASIC, is a telltale sign that the only way to learn about computers at our time and age was to...start writing some code and see what happened. The other way was, obviously, to play games without asking oneself too many questions :)
MrMan wrote:
Oh yes LOL how can we ever forget?

When my Dad got me my first computer, a Commodore VIC-20, the only way to do something useful with it, apart from playing Gorf and Radar Rat race off the cartridges, was to copy pages and pages of "listings", hope the listing or the retyping didn't have any bugs and hit "run". About a year later I realised that I had to start saving for a "datassette", which would allow me to save my programs on tape. That was the game changer for me and a lot of bedroom programmers!
MrMan wrote:
Statistically, there are far more computer programmers now than in the 90s. Those in the 90s were far more than the lucky few in the 70s, and so on. The skill set that these computer programmers had to had differred depending on the age.

The first computer programmers were basically mathematicians with first-class understanding of logic, formal methods, automata etc. The place where most WW2 German cryptography was broken, Bletchley Park, was staffed with a lot of these programmers...and they were all women. In fact the joke went that not even the most accomplished of those code warriors, Alan Turing, was himself a real man (he was gay, and he paid for it!).

In the 80s, one had to know assembly language and C to do something substantial with a computer. The lucky few who had access to commercial mainframes could get away by writing their algoritms in COBOL, PL/I. FORTRAN was the "pons asinorum" for the academic community who wouldn't want to learn C.

The 90s and 2000s saw the development of object oriented programming and software engineering, which abstracted the hardware and the OS capabilities as much as possible. Those were the years of Java and C#. C and C++ were still rampant.

The 2010s and 2020s are definitely the years of what could be called "shorthand computing", a form of software engineering that aims to express the most power in the least amount of code. Good examples of this phenomenon are Python, Lua and, to a lesser extent, JavaScript. The real revolution here was not much on the languages themselves, but on their ability to wrap extremely powerful and fast libraries around simple interfaces that were not only developer-friendly, but practitioner-friendly.

Think of how many prefer to use Python to run complex mathematical calculations, despite Python being one of the slowest languages around. This is because every line may embed a lot of background operations written in super-optimised C or C++ code.

Then, as I said on my other post, there is also the shift from "code as infrastructure" to "infrastructure as code". Back in the days one (including myself, in various City banks) could write a monolith that made perfect use of the underlying CPU core and memory to deliver amazing performance. Scaling that performance level over multiple machines was, then, prohibitively hard and in the realm of the few.

Fast forward to today, and one can scale a piece of business logic to tens of thousands of cores not only without breaking a sweat, but without even knowing what is done under the hood. The price to pay is always the same, that "what hardware giveth, software taketh". The same performance that was achievable on a single 8-core PC, with 64 GB RAM, will now require multiple web servers, containers, container management tools and coordinators, VMs, and heaven knows what else. The cloud-based solution may be 10% as efficient, but also require zero knowledge of advanced distributed computing.

And that's the third and final revolution: about this loss of performance due to "hardware inflation", enterprisees usually can't care less? Why? Because the cloud model shifts computing assets from the company's books (capital expenditures) to operational expenditures. So long they don't have to write their depreciating PC assets every year and they can have generous tax breaks, companies are very happy to invest in the cloud. Another, important, reason, is that the same company won't need a distributed computing expert to run the system. A "full stack" developer who knows how to target and scale "lambda server" would be found in India and cost them 10%.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

publicduende wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 8:59 am
Fast forward to today, and one can scale a piece of business logic to tens of thousands of cores not only without breaking a sweat, but without even knowing what is done under the hood. The price to pay is always the same, that "what hardware giveth, software taketh". The same performance that was achievable on a single 8-core PC, with 64 GB RAM, will now require multiple web servers, containers, container management tools and coordinators, VMs, and heaven knows what else. The cloud-based solution may be 10% as efficient, but also require zero knowledge of advanced distributed computing.
Interesting. I did not know any of this stuff. Maybe one day, AI could be tasked to look under the hood and write a program with the same function with more efficient code.
And that's the third and final revolution: about this loss of performance due to "hardware inflation", enterprisees usually can't care less? Why? Because the cloud model shifts computing assets from the company's books (capital expenditures) to operational expenditures. So long they don't have to write their depreciating PC assets every year and they can have generous tax breaks, companies are very happy to invest in the cloud. Another, important, reason, is that the same company won't need a distributed computing expert to run the system. A "full stack" developer who knows how to target and scale "lambda server" would be found in India and cost them 10%.
That's interesting. Do non-US tax systems work similarly, btw? I would imagine if they could take that excess cash used up for operational expenditures and invest them in risky ventures before the end of the fiscal year, if they could make, on average, a lot more in profits, and still write off the losses.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

January 22nd, 2024, 6:56 am
That's cool. Can you tell me which affiliate tiktok sites you have worked on? If you don't mind.
I don't do TikTok. Here's what my ad revenue was for yesterday. I use 2 ad companies. Yesterday I made $6.06 on both ad platforms. That's not a lot of money, but it averages about $5/day. So my goal for this year 2024 is to clone what I'm doing and jam out tons more sites that get traffic and put ads on them.