Conversational incompatibility - I don't feel comfortable talking to most people from my home country

Discuss racial, ethnic and multicultural issues. Warning: The topics here are likely to be taboo, so if you are easily offended, you are better off not participating here.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Conversational incompatibility - I don't feel comfortable talking to most people from my home country

Post by Lucas88 »

I'm from the UK but I don't feel comfortable talking to British people at all. I always feel like I'm liable to be judged for what I say. I don't feel like I can be open about my true sentiments. I never experience this with foreigners though. I can have normal conversations with the Chinese girls at my local Chinese takeaway or my Chinese acupuncturist or any of my other foreign-born acquaintances without feeling like I'm being judged or shunned. Moreover the conversations tend to flow naturally and are exempt from the awkwardness which characterizes my interactions with British people. I admit that I hate British social culture. It is so painfully PC and pervaded by a narrow sense of what is "normal" and what is not. You can't say anything or act in any way that falls outside of this acceptable scope. Those who do are seen as "weird" or even "crazy". As a sincere, eccentric, spontaneous and free-spirited person I absolutely don't fit the mold. I feel terribly uncomfortable interacting with the majority of British people and especially with British women and so I avoid them as much as possible. I overwhelmingly prefer non-British people.

I also find communication with many British people to be difficult for some reason despite our shared native language. Even though I have a well-developed vocabulary, have good grammar and can speak with an educated style, I think that I speak English with an atypical cadence for a native speaker due to neurological impairment. This problem is likely compounded by the effects of L2 influence. I'm often under the impression that British people find my manner of speaking weird and realize that "I'm not one of them". I likewise dislike the manner of speaking and communication style of British people. Not only do I find their accents quite hideous and even a bit "faggy" most of the time but also think that most British people are poor conversationalists and just downright difficult to talk to. Again I don't have this problem with foreign speakers or even with Americans. Our conversations seem to flow much better for the most part. I enjoy conversing with them and they seem to enjoy conversing with me too. I just really don't fit in with British people. I hate speaking to them and even hate British English. I much prefer Spanish which is my primary foreign language as well as North American English which in my opinion sounds a lot better. I find British English offensive and speaking to British people a chore.

I hate British English so much that when I moved to Spain I obsessively learned Spanish with the goal of replacing my native language with it or adopting a "new linguistic identity" as I put it in another thread. Not only that but I also refused to ever speak English with anybody and insisted on speaking Spanish all of the time. This was the only way to rid myself (at least partially) of a native language or a variety thereof which I despised and did not want. I couldn't reasonably adopt another accent of English such as one of those from the US or Canada because it would just come across as a weird limey trying to be "American" even though I don't particularly identify with American culture myself either. So I had to adopt a foreign language and obsessively learn it through total immersion and eventually allow it to become the dominant medium of communication in my daily life. I would even be praised for imitating the language, its phonology and its structural patterns almost to perfection as a L2 speaker rather than being seen as somebody trying to be "x". This wasn't too hard to do. I had connections with very few English people outside of my family and @Pixel--Dude anyway and before long most of my friends were either Spaniards or Latinos and my girlfriends all Latinas. And Hispanophone culture is just way more interesting than boring Britain with its generalized lumpen trash culture and its insipid TV shows.

Yes, I indeed hate the UK as much as @Winston hates Taiwan and @Outcast9428 hates Florida. I've gone to extreme lengths to deny my own unwanted national identity and integrate into another culture which I like much better. I feel that this was necessary even though I'm probably somewhat psychologically unbalanced because of it.

Does anybody else find a certain nationality or people group difficult to talk to due to cultural reasons? Do you go out of your way to avoid interactions with such people?

From what I've read this phenomenon isn't as uncommon as one might think. On Reddit I've found testimonies of immigrants and expatriates who say that they actively avoid people from their home country because they can't stand them or the culture to which they belong.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

martellthacooldude
Freshman Poster

Re: Conversational incompatibility - I don't feel comfortable talking to most people from my home country

Post by martellthacooldude »

This sounds exactly like me..l can't vibe nor form true down to earth conversations with Americans as they're snobbish, arrogant, rude, prejudice and fearful to be around. I can vibe and connect with foreigners and outsiders.