What movies have lied to you about dating and women?

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

What movies have lied to you about dating and women?

Post by Temprano26 »

And don't just say all of them. I am talking specifically.

At some point in our lives it was easy to manipulate us and shape our reality through movies and TV. There had to come a point that we went out there and experienced the world for ourselves and exercised critical thinking. Only in thinking for ourselves did we realize that movies and TV were all BS.

American Pie and a lot of teenager movies taught us that the Big Party at some dude's house is where we all go to get laid with gorgeous women. In reality, going to a big party just meant being around a whole lot of drunken morons with loud music and the police coming over. Or that drunk chicks will be more likely to have sex because they are so hammered. In reality, alcohol brings out the worst in people, making them obnoxious clowns.

One movie told the truth though - Hitch. "I trick women into getting out of their own way so that great guys can have a fighting chance. This is why falling in love is so damn hard." I am glad at least one movie came out and said it is American women at fault for the lack of romance and not some personal flaws that men have.
??????
Freshman Poster

Post by ?????? »

Varsity Blues, where hot naked cheerleaders in whipped cream practically throw themselves at you in high school. Similar to American Pie.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Yeah, those two definitely. Also, every show or movie where it goes: Meeting, flirting, screwing around. Especially when it just cuts right to them lying next to each other after screwing. Like there's no progression, it just goes right past all the middle stuff.

I find it very annoying that they make this "Jerry Springer lifestyle" out to be hot & passionate. This massively disfunctional relationship is basically advertised. Or maybe idolized is the right word?
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Winston has talked about this a lot, especially in his essay he wrote called, "The Myth of Sexual Freedom in America." Ladislav has talked about this too, he said, "In American movies, women zip around in bikini's on roller skates and will have a quickie with any guy who starts a conversation with them."

I was watching a movie on cable TV last year, (don't know the name of the movie) where a guy just moved to New York city. As soon as he moved into his apartment, one of his neighbors (a smoking hot blond) knocked on his door and introduced herself to him! (this would never happen in real life). Then after talking to him for a couple of minutes, she invited him over to dinner at her place. (again, this would never happen in real life).

American made movies and TV shows, give a false notion that it is easy to meet women in the US. They also give a false notion that it is easy for men in America to get laid. Nothing could be further from the truth. :shock:

Wouldn't it be nice if they made TV shows and movies depicting how life REALLY is in America? It would show women in the US acting stuck up towards men. It would also show men asking women out and getting rejected left and right. Also, it would show men going years without dates and sex. Now that is the real America! :D
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
sushiman
Freshman Poster

Post by sushiman »

Yes, there is that thing American movies do; portraying the USA as one big party. Yeah right!

What annoys me about US movies and TV is something different however. Almost every movie/show features a guy acting unsure, nervous, neurotic, stuttering, and douschy around women...while women act strong and confident. It is America's obsession with role reversal; that men can be feminine and women can me masculine.

It's really f***ed up and totally cliche.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

sushiman- Yeah, I noticed that. Or they have the guy acting like a little kid & the wife is the only adult in the relationship. The King of Queens demonstrates this in a massive way. This guy Doug has a smokin-hot wife who's always handling everything. Doug whines & eats constantly, then has the audaity to suggest she go on a diet to lose 5 or 10 pounds! He's about 5'6" & is over 200 pounds! She's always handling the money, looking after her old father, trying to get home projects done AND is working the whole time. I tell ya, if I was Lou Ferrigno (he plays himself as their next-door neighboor) I'd have "stolen" her quick!

A good satirical image would be this 110lb chick carrying a 250lb guy on her back.
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Post by fightforlove »

PLEASANTVILLE. The scene where Tobey Maguire asks out his beautiful female classmate while walking home from school on a beautiful sunny afternoon. He's sort of shy and hesitant about it at first, then just boldly blurts out "would you go out with me?". She accepts and they go out to the drive-in together.

I was young and naive at the time and thought it was simple as that. So when I had a major crush I tried the same thing and she just looked at me and said "No" and then looked away with this disappointed look on her face. All I could do was stare at the ground. I was shell shocked. Fcuk you Tobey Maguire.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

fightforlove- Maybe she was disappointed that you didn't build to it. Sometimes women think you don't care if you just do it so bluntly & out of nowhere. That it comes off as just a passing idea, like getting coffee on the way to someone's house. I get where you're coming from, it takes a bit of nerve to do & you want to just get it out there before you lose your nerve, but it seems a lot of women don't realize that.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Post by Temprano26 »

Fighforlove, I get what you're saying but Pleasantville was set in the 50s or at least the idealistic image of the 50s we all love to talk about like Leave It To Beaver.

The 1950s were more traditional before feminism made women angry and bitter towards men. Different time periods.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

You know, something I've noticed about that? That feminism thing talked in one direction, but acted in another. It comes off as this supportive, self-sufficient, "your body your rules" kind of thing (which is good)- but then gets very dictatorial & sabotaging. They didn't demonize one type of guy & extole the other (which would've made more sense), they started acting like a woman was a joke if she wanted to be a wife & mother that took care of the home (instead of just saying she shouldn't be limited to that & only that), and basically made it out to be some kind of an abdication/selling-out for a woman to have a good relationship with a man. I figure that's more in my mother's generation than my own, but it does seem to have rubbed off. That seems to be the difference between a "strong woman" & a bitch- that she can draw the line between friend & enemy.

It also strikes me that potentially a few of these women were lesbians & no relationship with any man would have felt right- that's not him being cruel or useless, though. Guess maybe they couldn't have brought that up at that time?
suprmon
Freshman Poster

Re:

Post by suprmon »

Wolfeye wrote:
March 26th, 2014, 5:37 am
fightforlove- Maybe she was disappointed that you didn't build to it. Sometimes women think you don't care if you just do it so bluntly & out of nowhere. That it comes off as just a passing idea, like getting coffee on the way to someone's house. I get where you're coming from, it takes a bit of nerve to do & you want to just get it out there before you lose your nerve, but it seems a lot of women don't realize that.
There's this thing called "attraction" that's at work here. If there is nothing inside a woman to pull her towards you, then there's nothing you can do to make her like you! Sure you can do superficial things like become successful or show off your new toys like high end cars and boats, but without those things, your just a schmuck she'll never have a high opinion of! Trying to get a shallow person like that to like you for yourself is like banging your head against the wall only just to give yourself a brain aneurysm! It's best to stay within one's league!
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

jamesbond wrote:
March 8th, 2014, 9:00 am
American made movies and TV shows, give a false notion that it is easy to meet women in the US.
Spot on post and funny too although we shouldn't laugh too much because it's actually a serious topic for men with serious consequences. The only thing I'd add to what you wrote is that those feel-good movies are used to pacify American men about their dating options to prevent them from trying to change things to better suit men. And to prevent them from leaving the plantation entirely and trying to work and date women in another country. George Carlin always said America's culture was based on lies and bullshit.

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What movies have lied to you about dating and women?

Post by MrMan »

Temprano26 wrote:
March 5th, 2014, 11:12 am
And don't just say all of them. I am talking specifically.

At some point in our lives it was easy to manipulate us and shape our reality through movies and TV. There had to come a point that we went out there and experienced the world for ourselves and exercised critical thinking. Only in thinking for ourselves did we realize that movies and TV were all BS.

American Pie and a lot of teenager movies taught us that the Big Party at some dude's house is where we all go to get laid with gorgeous women. In reality, going to a big party just meant being around a whole lot of drunken morons with loud music and the police coming over. Or that drunk chicks will be more likely to have sex because they are so hammered. In reality, alcohol brings out the worst in people, making them obnoxious clowns.

One movie told the truth though - Hitch. "I trick women into getting out of their own way so that great guys can have a fighting chance. This is why falling in love is so damn hard." I am glad at least one movie came out and said it is American women at fault for the lack of romance and not some personal flaws that men have.
It's pretty common to have a female lead in a movie who is a bad Kung Fu chick that can beat up dozens of grown men. It's not realistic at all. Women can't take punches to the face like men can. It sells a lie to little girls who think if they fight men and the men fight back, they will win.

Just about any talk show that tells men if they want to have sex more with their wives, they should do more housework. There was a study out several years ago that showed that marriages that had work divided into traditional gender roles tended to have more sex.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

A better question might be, “Which movie tells the truth?” My vote would be The Last American Virgin from the 1980s which showcased a male, virgin HS student who liked a girl who turned out to be screwing a bad boy. The girl eventually got pregnant, the bad boy kicks her to the curb, and the virgin capes up like Captain Save-A-Hoe to rescue her by being her emotional support and by getting her abortion money. The girl was so grateful that she gleefully friendzoned the virgin. In the heartbreaking end, it shows the girl eventually back with the bad boy and the virgin crushed like a grape when he sees them out together.

I did not initially believe girls were like that in real life, but as I grew older, I learned that that movie was right on the mark!
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Movies like "Animal House" and "Porky's" made it look like women were willing and ready to sleep with any guy. Of course Hollywood likes to make it look like the dating scene for men in America is paradise.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."