Momopi, Rock, why does weird shit like this happen to me?!

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Winston
Site Admin

Momopi, Rock, why does weird shit like this happen to me?!

Post by Winston »

Momopi, Rock,

Why does weird shit like this always happen to me?! It happened three times in a row in Roswell, NM!

On the way to Roswell, a scary Murphy's Law event happened. I was having a peaceful drive when all of a sudden a long gas truck with two compartments pulled across the highway in front of me. I had to slam the brakes to avoid hitting it. Behind me was a white van tailgating me from close behind which was in danger of hitting me too. But I had no choice and had to slam the brakes. When I did, time seemed to slow down as I watched the long gas truck pass by. When I looked in the rear view mirror, I saw the driver behind me swerve to the side to avoid hitting me.

Geez! Why did both vehicles have to come at the same time? Stupid Murphy's Law! Geez! I hate it when shit like that happens. Why does shit like that always happens to me? Why does Murphy's Law always seem to make things get in my way like that?! Why does Murphy's Law always want to disturb the peace like that?! It was like the universe was giving me a sign that I am always "between a rock and a hard place", which I always seem to be. Why do I have such weird luck like that?

Also, why do people have to tailgate?! Don't tailgaters know that by following close behind another car on the highway, that if an emergency happens and the driver in front of them has to slam on the brakes, they will have a higher risk of rear ending them?! Tailgating is so God damn f***ing stupid! Sheesh. Why did God make so many stupid people?! Sheesh. I HATE stressful situations like that. They are like a THREAT to me!

Then, the next evening at the movie theater in Roswell, when I went to see Spiderman 2, another weird thing happened that never happened before. When I got my ticket, popcorn and coke, and approached the door to the theater, there was a wet floor sign in front of it. I was afraid to walk across it and had no free hand to open the door, and there was no staff or ticket taker around to help me open the door. So I walked around not knowing what to do for a while. Wtf?! The movie had just started and I was anxious to go in but didn't have a way to. After a while, I found a guy to open the door for me and the floor become drier to walk on.

That had never happened before. I've been to the movies many times but never saw a wet floor sign in front of the entrance door. There was ONLY a wet floor and sign in front of MY door, NOT the other doors! Again, it's like Murphy's Law was targeting ME SPECIFICALLY! What luck. Again, why does the universe always seem to be BLOCKING me and getting in the way with weird shit like that?! Wtf is going on?!

Then when I came out and told the security guard about it -- suggesting that there should be someone around to help people open doors and pass over a wet floor -- he was rude and said something like "So what? People slip and fall on wet floors all the time." Wtf did he mean by that?! What a prick. I was pissed. The next day, I called the theater manager to report that security guard's rude behavior. The manager apologized and told me that he would talk to that guard about that.

After two nights, I left Roswell to drive to the other side of the state. When I was leaving town and making a right turn at an intersection, the two cars in front of me made the right turn with no problem. But when it came time for my turn, a group of pedestrians walked out in front of me and blocked my way! Why does the universe ALWAYS do that to me and target ME SPECIFICALLY like that? Wtf?! This type of thing has happened to me zillions of times. And it always seems to specifically target me out of others around me! Wtf is going on?! This kind of thing ALWAYS happens to me! Why?!?!?!?!

That's like three weird Murphy's Law events in a row that happened to me in Roswell. Maybe Roswell has some weird energy there, which is why an alien saucer crashed there back in 1947 allegedly. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

If you dislike the person tailgating behind you, move over to the other lane (if possible) and let him/her pass.

There is a small % of tailgaters who do it to save money, which can be dangerous and not recommended unless if you actually have the skills to pull it off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstreaming

Some drivers have been known to draft behind other vehicles, particularly tailgating larger vehicles, to save fuel. For example, hypermilers using this technique can achieve 75 mpg or more (a 10% increase in efficiency of certain hybrid vehicles).[8] Some sources say that the most common tailgating does not save gasoline even at freeway speeds because one is likely to accelerate and brake so frequently that any aerodynamic savings are lost through the brakes.[9]

On the show MythBusters, drafting behind an 18-wheeler truck was tested and results showed that traveling 100 feet (30 m) behind the truck increased overall mpg efficiency by 11%.[10] Traveling 10 feet (3.0 m) behind the truck produced a 39% gain in efficiency. Additionally, on the same episode, Mythbusters demonstrated that it can be very dangerous for the following car if one of the truck's tires (or their recaps) delaminate, as the chunks of ejected rubber can be large enough to cause serious harm, even death, to a driver following too closely.[11]
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Really? I knew about slipstreaming from racing, but I didn't know people were that crazy and desperate.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:If you dislike the person tailgating behind you, move over to the other lane (if possible) and let him/her pass.

There is a small % of tailgaters who do it to save money, which can be dangerous and not recommended unless if you actually have the skills to pull it off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstreaming

Some drivers have been known to draft behind other vehicles, particularly tailgating larger vehicles, to save fuel. For example, hypermilers using this technique can achieve 75 mpg or more (a 10% increase in efficiency of certain hybrid vehicles).[8] Some sources say that the most common tailgating does not save gasoline even at freeway speeds because one is likely to accelerate and brake so frequently that any aerodynamic savings are lost through the brakes.[9]

On the show MythBusters, drafting behind an 18-wheeler truck was tested and results showed that traveling 100 feet (30 m) behind the truck increased overall mpg efficiency by 11%.[10] Traveling 10 feet (3.0 m) behind the truck produced a 39% gain in efficiency. Additionally, on the same episode, Mythbusters demonstrated that it can be very dangerous for the following car if one of the truck's tires (or their recaps) delaminate, as the chunks of ejected rubber can be large enough to cause serious harm, even death, to a driver following too closely.[11]
I was in the right lane. Slower traffic is supposed to be in the right lane. It is the tailgaters job to move to the left lane to pass. On some open roads, a tailgater comes up behind me every few minutes. They want to drive 80+mph. I can't change to the left lane every few minutes. Come on. Be realistic.

How can tailgating save fuel? I don't get it.

In the Southwest, smaller cars are not as common. People prefer to drive big pickup trucks. It's an American thing to like to drive big vehicles.

So why does weird shit like this always happen to me? Does it ever happen to you too? Or does every little event go smoothly in your life?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
johnnyderp
Freshman Poster

Post by johnnyderp »

From this and other threads about molehills being made into mountains, I'm seeing a pattern emerging.

The Universe is telling Winston something. Can anyone guess?
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

wtf did I read. I think this is what people say when say mean first world problems.

you know in some parts of the world you make a wrong move, you are dead.
Bitch_Slapper
Freshman Poster

Re: Momopi, Rock, why does weird shit like this happen to me

Post by Bitch_Slapper »

Winston wrote: When I got my ticket, popcorn and coke,
Right there.

I told you, Winston: you have cut out the junk food. Then you'll lose the pot belly.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

johnnyderp wrote:From this and other threads about molehills being made into mountains, I'm seeing a pattern emerging.

The Universe is telling Winston something. Can anyone guess?
What is the universe trying to tell me? That it's against me? That I have Charlie Brown luck and am always between a rock and a hard place?

Also, how come every time I approach a reception counter, or go to a water refill machine, someone else gets there a second ahead of me and makes me wait for them? That happens a high percentage of the time. I approach something and someone comes at the same time and cuts in front of me and delays me when I don't expect a delay? Even in such little things, the universe likes to block me.

Ask Rock. He's seen it happen to me many times. He became a believer in Murphy's Law after seeing it happen many times in front of me, even in the little things like the above. The universe seems to like to block me and delay me and frustrate me. Coincidences seem calculated against me like a guided missile targeting a specific person.

That might sound crazy. But when you experience it regularly everyday, it becomes a noticeable pattern.
Bitch_Slapper wrote:
Winston wrote: When I got my ticket, popcorn and coke,
Right there.

I told you, Winston: you have cut out the junk food. Then you'll lose the pot belly.
I don't usually eat junk food. But movie theaters are an exception. I only go there sometimes. Movies are more enjoyable with popcorn.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Momopi,
Another question: Why do you never answer these kind of questions directly? Instead you spin off on some tangent.

Do these kind of things ever happen to you? How come you never complain? Is it because everything in your life goes smoothly? Do little things get in your way everyday too? If not, how come it happens to me regularly and daily?

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:Momopi,
Another question: Why do you never answer these kind of questions directly? Instead you spin off on some tangent.

Do these kind of things ever happen to you? How come you never complain? Is it because everything in your life goes smoothly? Do little things get in your way everyday too? If not, how come it happens to me regularly and daily?
1. You described a problem (incident), and asked ""why do people have to tailgate".

2. I answered the question, including an URL for more information. Obviously, by common sense everyone here knows that many tailgaters are simply a-holes and there is no need to repeat another circle-jerk, so I provided an additional (possibly useful but dangerous if lacking skill) explanation that most people may not be aware of.

3. You responded with "How can tailgating save fuel? I don't get it", which indicates that you did not read the information, or done further research on the subject. Then you blame me for "never answering these kinds of questions directly" and "spin off on some tangent" If you had actually read and understood the answer, you'd have either understood why tailgating might save gas, or disagree with a good reason.

4. If you did not want me to answer the question, then you should not have asked. If you expected me to answer additional questions in your rambling post, you need to either write shorter posts or ask fewer questions in clearly marked section, such as bullet points. If you expect a specific answer worded in a specific way to your satisfaction, then you need to write your own answer.

5. If you're religious or "spiritual", then have you considered that the single incident pedestrians causing a delay may have actually saved you from a potential car accident? To prove that "the universe is against you" and sh*t always happens with pedestrians blocking your turn, we'd need to conduct an actual study to prove it. Example, have you make a right turn at an intersection once per hour and record the outcome over several days.

6. You complained in the past about frequently making the wrong turn. I've advised you to buy a GPS. I have a Garmin GPS and rarely take wrong turns. Do you have a GPS in your car?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:
Winston wrote:Momopi,

1. You described a problem (incident), and asked ""why do people have to tailgate".

2. I answered the question, including an URL for more information. Obviously, by common sense everyone here knows that many tailgaters are simply a-holes and there is no need to repeat another circle-jerk, so I provided an additional (possibly useful but dangerous if lacking skill) explanation that most people may not be aware of.

3. You responded with "How can tailgating save fuel? I don't get it", which indicates that you did not read the information, or done further research on the subject. Then you blame me for "never answering these kinds of questions directly" and "spin off on some tangent" If you had actually read and understood the answer, you'd have either understood why tailgating might save gas, or disagree with a good reason.

4. If you did not want me to answer the question, then you should not have asked. If you expected me to answer additional questions in your rambling post, you need to either write shorter posts or ask fewer questions in clearly marked section, such as bullet points. If you expect a specific answer worded in a specific way to your satisfaction, then you need to write your own answer.

5. If you're religious or "spiritual", then have you considered that the single incident pedestrians causing a delay may have actually saved you from a potential car accident? To prove that "the universe is against you" and sh*t always happens with pedestrians blocking your turn, we'd need to conduct an actual study to prove it. Example, have you make a right turn at an intersection once per hour and record the outcome over several days.

6. You complained in the past about frequently making the wrong turn. I've advised you to buy a GPS. I have a Garmin GPS and rarely take wrong turns. Do you have a GPS in your car?
I asked why people tailgate in general, not why a minority of tailgaters "might" be doing it. You have a tendency to answer unrelated questions that are loosely connected with the original question. I don't know why. Why can't you just answer the original question directly?

I don't think Spock or Data would do that.

Thus you did not really answer the tailgater question. Sure they may be assholes. But why? Why don't you ask them? Are there any tailgaters on this forum?

Also there were several questions here. Why do you only answer one out of several? lol. That's something that usually simple minded Filipinas do. You are far more educated than them.

Most of your other points are irrelevant. Why do you like to jump to irrelevant points? I don't get it. It's not logical.

I have no trouble answering several questions at once. I do that all the time. Why would it be hard for you to do that? ::::::: scratching head :::::::::

Yes it's always possible that the universe delayed you to prevent something from happening. You can never prove that.

But the universe seems to delay me far too much. I don't need to keep a record. This isn't a laboratory. This is real life. All you need is direct experience.

For example, people are always cutting in front of me. Even if the area around me is empty, someone will come out of nowhere to get to the door or line in front of me, blocking my way. Happens all the time. The universe likes to block me, sometimes out of nowhere. I like to get somewhere without interruptions. Interruptions are my pet peeve. So the universe knows I hate interruptions and gives me more of them.

It's also torture for me to see hot girls everywhere that are unapproachable and unattainable. So the universe sends more hot girls in my way.

Thus the universe will do more of what you don't want or are afraid of. Haven't you noticed this? Or does everything in your life go smoothly or randomly with no pattern?

Suppose I'm right. Then my question would be, why does the universe do that? Do you have an answer?

No I don't have GPS and don't need it. I do fine with maps. I did install a GPS in my smart phone, but it's unreliable and doesn't work well.

johnnyderp
Freshman Poster

Post by johnnyderp »

Winston wrote:What is the universe trying to tell me? That it's against me? That I have Charlie Brown luck and am always between a rock and a hard place?
What I'm saying is that you don't have bad luck at all. If you were genuinely unlucky, you would have died in that incident with the truck. About 10 years ago I was approaching a bend on the highway when an oncoming vehicle was skidding sideways towards me. I experienced that 'time slowing down' phenomenon that you described, calmly swerved to the right and was thankful that another vehicle wasn't following, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this post.

The difference between you and I is that I thanked my lucky stars for escaping this incident without injury or even a scratch to my vehicle. I too was once a serial complainer, but over the last few years came to the realisation that 'luck' is what you make of your experiences and that the world doesn't revolve around me. What you see in a trivial matter like the movie theatre 'drama' is 'bad luck'. I see this is such a meaningless matter, it's not even worth thinking about. This is not even an issue, let alone something to complain about in a post on an internet forum. Bad luck is being stuck in a wheelchair for life, or being wrongfully convicted of a crime.

Complaining to the security guard is bad enough, but then making a complaint to the manager is just pathetic. Honestly, but you sound like an entitled woman sometimes. Having spent a previous life in hospitality, I remember it was almost always women that complained about meaningless crap like this.
Also, how come every time I approach a reception counter, or go to a water refill machine, someone else gets there a second ahead of me and makes me wait for them? That happens a high percentage of the time. I approach something and someone comes at the same time and cuts in front of me and delays me when I don't expect a delay? Even in such little things, the universe likes to block me.
There you go again, complaining about little things that every person on Earth deals with daily. These aren't problems at all, and shows you have a persecution complex. Trust me, becoming a more stoic person will be the first day you experience true happiness.

PS - I'm not making these harsh assessments just to be an a-hole, but to highlight the absurdity of your claims.
bladed11
Freshman Poster

Post by bladed11 »

At the risk of sounding absolutely insane especially to non believers. Oh well screw it. Were you recently considering becoming "christian" or similar? Because let me tell ya the day I became Christian I was like the target of every moron in the universe. See most people have evil spirits living in them and controlling their thoughts basicly. Well they have their free will but they still listen to these evil spirits. Once you become Christian these evil spirits target you. Or even if you're even considering it. Not talking about catholicism or some spinoff but real deal. You become their enemy once you make this decision. You do get used to it fortunately and you get wiser to satan.
somedude
Freshman Poster

Post by somedude »

If you are being passed frequently by 18-wheelers, and seem to always have someone on your ass... you are driving too slow for that particular road. Try going with the flow instead of against it.
---

SD
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: I asked why people tailgate in general, not why a minority of tailgaters "might" be doing it. You have a tendency to answer unrelated questions that are loosely connected with the original question. I don't know why. Why can't you just answer the original question directly?
1. You did NOT ask "why people tailgate in general". If you thought that my response was irreverent, then why did you ask "How can tailgating save fuel?"

2. The question has already been answered. If you did not like the answer, feel free to follow your own advice and survey tailgaters.

3. If you want a question to be answered, ask one question at a time. The longer the post, the more likely that everything after the first couple paragraphs will be skipped over. On that note, I suppose it's my fault for not noticing that this is the "rants" section, which I should have skipped over entirely as a time waster.

Winston wrote: Suppose I'm right. Then my question would be, why does the universe do that? Do you have an answer?
No I don't have GPS and don't need it. I do fine with maps. I did install a GPS in my smart phone, but it's unreliable and doesn't work well.
1. So, realistically, do you think I or anyone else on this planet can speak for "the universe" ? Most likely, you will NEVER find the answer no matter how hard you try or how many people you ask.

2. You can waste time to speculate on "why", or you can buy a non-refundable ticket to China and start on your next adventure. I don't see "the universe" blocking you from getting a China VISA and buying a plane ticket. After you spend some time in China, you'll return to the US and think "hey where's the crowd of people cutting in front of me..."

3. Buy a real Garmin GPS and use it.

Winston wrote: Thus the universe will do more of what you don't want or are afraid of. Haven't you noticed this? Or does everything in your life go smoothly or randomly with no pattern?
No. I do not own the road, and I do not expect pedestrians and other cars to get out of my way for my benefit. Like I've said before, if a girl is not interested in me, I move on to someone else. If I lose a GF, I'll get a new one. If I lost some money, I'll go make more. I do not need or expect everything to go smoothly "my way", nor do I believe "the universe" is more sentient than a rock.