Why do Americans love debt?

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
International Gringo
Freshman Poster

Why do Americans love debt?

Post by International Gringo »

I never quite understood the American mentality. Many people here max out their credit cards, buy mortgages and cars that they cannot payback or spend ridiculous amounts of $$$$$$ for weddings (most of it from loans/credit). Is it an entitlement mentality that they have or do you think they get this mentality from media propaganda/Wall Street's reckless spending? Like many have mentioned on this forum, the majority of Americans (especially men) do not look very happy here. Ive been to over 40 countries and can verify that most people living in these developing countries are much happier than Americans despite their economic problems.
You can work your life away or you can live your life away
hammanta
Junior Poster

Re: Why do Americans love debt?

Post by hammanta »

I agree. It's engrained in our society. Wealth perpetuates success and power and happiness or so they say.

i work with individuals that suffer from financial problems and I see materialism all the time. There's a lady I work with on food stamps and Welfare but drives a brand new SUV.

We are sold this idea of consumption whether it's food, clothing, cars, houses, etc.

The problem is this mentality is shifting to the third world and in 20 years there maybe little difference.