The guilt-ridden Anglo expat

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

The guilt-ridden Anglo expat

Post by ladislav »

" We colonized and screwed over these people. We robbed them. So, if they screw me over, I deserve it. Because I am ( put the nationality here). And I'd better serve them with my life to make up for my country's past colonial crimes."
Ah, but you see, you did not personally do it. No need to use " we". It was your government who did it. It was the rich and powerful who did it. The big banks and those evil, greedy corporations.
And the first person whom they had robbed and taken advantage of was you. The main people whom they had colonized and screwed over were their own. The ones whom they sent to fight and die in foreign wars were their own working class/poor people.
The sons and daughters of those rich and powerful were not out there killing and dying in colonial wars. And they are not becoming expats. They have plenty of money to be happy back home.
And they are bringing in poor immigrants to exploit while leaving you out of the work force.
They used you just like they had used the colonial subjects. And you are just a piece of sh#t to them, too.
Never feel guilty about things you personally did not do. And never apologize.
And as a side note, do not push your guilt on countries who did not colonize anybody just because their skin color is white. Do not ask Slovakia to take in 300,000 Muslims, for one. Slovakia did not colonize Pakistan.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The guilt-ridden Anglo expat

Post by yick »

ladislav wrote:
October 2nd, 2021, 7:21 pm
" We colonized and screwed over these people. We robbed them. So, if they screw me over, I deserve it. Because I am ( put the nationality here). And I'd better serve them with my life to make up for my country's past colonial crimes."
I have never ever known an expat to think that way, they deserved to get robbed and ripped off because of colonialisation? I don't think so.

Ah, but you see, you did not personally do it. No need to use " we". It was your government who did it. It was the rich and powerful who did it. The big banks and those evil, greedy corporations.
Most of us know this.
And the first person whom they had robbed and taken advantage of was you. The main people whom they had colonized and screwed over were their own. The ones whom they sent to fight and die in foreign wars were their own working class/poor people.
Well, in America's (and Canada...) case - it was the Native Americans but hey... leave that important bit out because it will screw the rest of your non-important point up.

The above might be true about the Brits and probably the French and Spanish - they sent their working class poor to fight for colonies overseas and to a lesser extent - the Dutch, Danes, Belgians and Portuguese.
The sons and daughters of those rich and powerful were not out there killing and dying in colonial wars. And they are not becoming expats. They have plenty of money to be happy back home.
They just expat in different places and circles than you and I. Lots of toffs 'finding themselves' in places like India and taking Ayahusca in Peru.
And they are bringing in poor immigrants to exploit while leaving you out of the work force.
They used you just like they had used the colonial subjects. And you are just a piece of sh#t to them, too.
Oh god! Do you not think we don't f***ing know this already? :roll:
Never feel guilty about things you personally did not do. And never apologize.
But also acknowledge the past and history and that some of our countries did f***ed up things. Why not?
And as a side note, do not push your guilt on countries who did not colonize anybody just because their skin color is white. Do not ask Slovakia to take in 300,000 Muslims, for one. Slovakia did not colonize Pakistan.
You're the only person I have ever seen, heard or read that has ever mentioned this. I agree with your wider premise that European countries that never took part in colonialisation have no real need to embrace Islamic places of worship in their countries but then Slovakia is a f**k all country - if it was important and was in the eye of monied Saudi wahibbhists then they could pay them lots of money to build mosques on their land like they do with building wahibbist mosques in the UK, the states and Germany.

I mean, you make your living by taking Saudi money so what's wrong with a country doing the same as you and taking their oil money to put up a mosque or two?