Traveling to the Czech Republic - any advice?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
HappyDany
Freshman Poster

Traveling to the Czech Republic - any advice?

Post by HappyDany »

I've long been drawn to exploring the Czech Republic, and I am visiting next year to experience the scenery, culture and history for myself. I'm also interested in learning more about opportunities to relocate there long-term.

As someone new to the country, I have some questions about settling in as a foreign national. How achievable is it to locate work, housing and build community ties? What types of challenges and benefits have others found in acclimating?

For those already living in or familiar with the Czech Republic, I'd appreciate any guidance or perspectives you could offer. Real-world insights would be invaluable as I research the feasibility of living abroad. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and experiences.
Jamessmith0901
Freshman Poster

Re: Traveling to the Czech Republic - any advice?

Post by Jamessmith0901 »

I've got some friends there. Finding work can be a bit competitive, but it's doable. Housing-wise, you might want to start your search early 'cause it can get a little tricky. As for building community ties, locals are generally friendly, so just put yourself out there and join some clubs or activities. Challenges? Language barrier can be a pain, but most people speak English. Benefits? Rich history, beautiful landscapes, and cheap beer! Overall, it's totally feasible to live there, just be ready for a few bumps along the way. Good luck with your trip, are you travelling alone?
HappyDany
Freshman Poster

Post by HappyDany »

Thank you for your reply. I’m planning to travel alone in September. I will bring my wife with me once I secure a job. I have a freelance work that I can do remotely, but I would prefer to have another income source to afford a good lifestyle. I know the language will be a challenge, but we are ready to learn it. May I ask, where do your friends live in the Czech Republic, @Jamessmith0901?
Jamessmith0901
Freshman Poster

Post by Jamessmith0901 »

HappyDany wrote:
January 11th, 2024, 4:55 pm
Thank you for your reply. I’m planning to travel alone in September. I will bring my wife with me once I secure a job. I have a freelance work that I can do remotely, but I would prefer to have another income source to afford a good lifestyle. I know the language will be a challenge, but we are ready to learn it. May I ask, where do your friends live in the Czech Republic, @Jamessmith0901?
Good point, My buddy actually lives in Prague, capital city of the Czech Republic. He says it's a pretty cool place with lots of job opportunities, especially in the tech and tourism industries. But keep in mind, the cost of living can be a bit steep compared to other parts of the country. So make sure you're prepared financially.
HappyDany
Freshman Poster

Post by HappyDany »

I've also heard the cost of living in Prague can be high. My initial plan involves independently exploring Prague's views, history and beer for a few days. I aim to dine where foreigners commonly gather to meet people and cultivate meaningful connections. Visits to cities like Brno and Olomouc also interest me. I'm well acquainted with Prague and Brno but know little about Olomouc. Its reportedly lower cost of living compared to elsewhere piqued my curiosity, though I understand nightlife remains vibrant. Might someone offer more insights about Olomouc or suggest a local guide who can help me navigate the Olomouc area?
HappyDany
Freshman Poster

Post by HappyDany »

In my research, I came across a company called GoWithGuide that provides various tour options in the Czech Republic. I saw they have many positive reviews from prior customers while browsing their website https://gowithguide.com/czech-republic/guides. It seems they offer pre-arranged tours as well as customized private tours. As I'm considering booking a tour with them to Olomouc, I was hoping to get feedback from others here on their services if anyone has experience using this company in the past.
Jamessmith0901
Freshman Poster

Post by Jamessmith0901 »

Sounds like a plan! As for meeting people, foreigners usually hang out in places like the Old Town Square or the beer gardens. You'll definitely make some connections there. Yeah, Olomouc is a hidden gem! Lower cost of living, but still lively. As for GoWithGuide, I haven't used their services personally, but I've heard good things about them. Their website looks legit, and those positive reviews are a good sign. If they offer pre-arranged or customized tours to Olomouc, it might be worth booking with them. Just make sure to do your research before making a decision. Good luck with your trip! 🙂
HappyDany
Freshman Poster

Post by HappyDany »

I’ll check out the Old Town Square and the beer gardens. I also want to do some more research before I contact the guides, I want to make sure I have some input and questions to ask them. Thanks a lot for your help!
milevaa
Freshman Poster

Post by milevaa »

Although I haven't been there yet, I've heard that the Czech Republic is an amazing country with a lot to offer! If you're considering a trip there, I recommend seeing Prague's breathtaking architecture and lively culture. My friend stayed at Grand Targhee there and told me that their customer service https://www.pissedconsumer.com/company/ ... rvice.html is excellent, and the location was ideal for exploring the neighborhood. I hope your trip to the Czech Republic is fantastic!