Graduate School Psychology--worth pursuing?

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
baletetree
Freshman Poster

Graduate School Psychology--worth pursuing?

Post by baletetree »

I am considering of taking up a Master's or maybe continue up to Doctorate. I have earned my BA in Sociology 5 years ago. I work in our family business (IT) and got involved in volunteer work with children.

I am still unsure though whether I pursue Organizational/Industrial, Child, or Clinical Psychology. But then I saw this:

http://www.onlinedegrees.org/calculator ... ng-degrees

But this is in the US setting and I live in the Philippines. But Psychologists/Psychiatrists are not so popular here either. Pinoys tend to be more easygoing and there is a stigma that if you are going to a Psychologist, you have a mental disorder.

What is your opinion?

I know Psychiatry is much more lucrative, but I am not a fan of administering drugs.
Glory Glory YNWA

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Graduate School Psychology--worth pursuing?

Post by zboy1 »

baletetree wrote:I am considering of taking up a Master's or maybe continue up to Doctorate. I have earned my BA in Sociology 5 years ago. I work in our family business (IT) and got involved in volunteer work with children.

I am still unsure though whether I pursue Organizational/Industrial, Child, or Clinical Psychology. But then I saw this:

http://www.onlinedegrees.org/calculator ... ng-degrees

But this is in the US setting and I live in the Philippines. But Psychologists/Psychiatrists are not so popular here either. Pinoys tend to be more easygoing and there is a stigma that if you are going to a Psychologist, you have a mental disorder.

What is your opinion?

I know Psychiatry is much more lucrative, but I am not a fan of administering drugs.
Well, I just graduated with a degree in Business and still cant a job worth taking. I don't know how the economy is in the Philippines, but in the U.S.--people with masters and PHD degrees are having a hard time finding any kind of employment. You better be sure you have a job waiting for you when you graduate before you take on enormous of amounts of student loan debt. Are you going to enroll at a Philippines university or enroll overseas? Because if you are in the Philippines, don't the schools there charge very low tuition compared to overseas schools? Also, I'm not sure being a psychiatrist is very useful job in Asia, considering how many Asians like to shun using mental services for fear of being ostracized by friends and relatives.
onezero4u
Freshman Poster

Post by onezero4u »

ill save you alot of time, money and studying...

everybody is f***ing crazy!
youre welcome.
marriage is a 3 ring circus: engagement ring, wedding ring and then suffering.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Graduate School Psychology--worth pursuing?

Post by jamesbond »

baletetree wrote:I am considering of taking up a Master's or maybe continue up to Doctorate. I have earned my BA in Sociology 5 years ago.
What is your opinion?
I have a bachelors degree in psychology, which I never used (even though I tried like hell to find a job in the psychology field). I found out that not having any work experience in the field your wanting to get into will mean you won't get a job in that field. :x

I know people with masters degrees in psychology who are working in sales, customer service and retail. You really need a doctorate degree to get into the psychology field.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
baletetree
Freshman Poster

Post by baletetree »

Thanks for the input guys.

Actually I'm not 100% sure yet. If I have money to blow, I would take Counseling or Development Psych because I have experience working with kids. Industrial is more corporate and pays the bills, and I can use what I've learned in our family business. So I get work experience while studying! Ha-ha! And I'm seeking support for my community to organize a football (soccer) club for the kids.

My goal is to settle in Canada or Australia.
Glory Glory YNWA