Ways to Combat Depression

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Re: Ways to Combat Depression

Post by Pixel--Dude »

WilliamSmith wrote:
July 5th, 2023, 3:52 pm
kangarunner wrote:
June 23rd, 2023, 8:24 am
@Pixel--Dude I want to try mushrooms but I've heard that whatever state of mind you're in, the psychedelic effect will only enhance whatever your mental state is? So if a person is prone to anxiety and racing thoughts, then mushrooms will make those things worse and cause you to have a bad trip?

Pretty sure you have to be very calm and in a happy, peaceful state of mind before you take mushrooms or MDMA or ketamine.

But yes, I'm definitely looking forward to taking mushrooms.
Sounds like they are really promising and glad they helped @Pixel--Dude and others, so I'm not trying to sound anti-shroom here, but there's a lot of truth in that in my xp from many years ago about how being in a bad environment (possibly just a bad mindset, not sure) can lead to a bad trip:
I never tried using them medicinally, but when I was a youth I got a bit adventurous and found some psylocibin mushrooms growing wild out in the forest, and as long as I didn't overdo the dosage, I had some fun trips out in the middle of nature with a chick who believes in fairies (LOL) and we had a ton of fun watching the forest come alive and both felt great afterward (though I have no clue how safe it is to use them regularly, but probably Pixel--dude does).
But then also some where I was around dangerous lowlifes in a shitty environment (it was stupid of me to take anything then, but I did) and it was a bad trip like being in a waking bad dream even though nothing objectively bad was happening, and I felt all f***ed up until it worked further out of my system, so I avoided messing with those in any negative context after that.

Edit: Also on this topic, Pixel--dude, do you know if there's any difference between the types of psilocybin that are used as medicinal supplements, vs what the adventurous types like me just found out in the woods and gobbled down on the spot, LOL? (Oh, and that latter thing is a potentially very dangerous thing to do because of potentially deadly "look-alikes," so that's one more thing in favor of buying your psilocybin.) :mrgreen:
Okay, I will amend my position thanks to the rebuke of @CaptainSkelebob. I don't encourage anyone to pack in their medication. I personally would never resort to being a customer of Big Pharma. But that's just my decision. @WilliamSmith and @kangarunner I advocate the use of entheogens because of how they helped me personally with depression and a lot of issues I was going through at the time. @Lucas88 and @Tsar have both had positive experiences with them. But I encourage people to do their own research and be cautious.

To answer some of the points raised by @WilliamSmith there are different strains of mushrooms, each with varying strengths and potency. I recommend starting off with some of average potency. Take a very small dose to begin with and ease into a deeper experience. A deeper experience is what helped me confront some issues in my life.

I also recommend buying them from a site rather than picking them wild, especially if you don't know the difference between psilocybin mushrooms and poisonous ones. Just to be safe. But of course, don't take my word for anything, please do your own research and make a decision for yourself whether this is something you want to try.

If you take them make sure you treat the substance with respect and only have a strong dose once or twice a year at most, unless you want to microdose on them with an amount small enough to give a subperceptual uplift in mood.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
CaptainSkelebob
Freshman Poster

Post by CaptainSkelebob »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
July 9th, 2023, 11:39 pm
WilliamSmith wrote:
July 5th, 2023, 3:52 pm
kangarunner wrote:
June 23rd, 2023, 8:24 am
@Pixel--Dude I want to try mushrooms but I've heard that whatever state of mind you're in, the psychedelic effect will only enhance whatever your mental state is? So if a person is prone to anxiety and racing thoughts, then mushrooms will make those things worse and cause you to have a bad trip?

Pretty sure you have to be very calm and in a happy, peaceful state of mind before you take mushrooms or MDMA or ketamine.

But yes, I'm definitely looking forward to taking mushrooms.
Sounds like they are really promising and glad they helped @Pixel--Dude and others, so I'm not trying to sound anti-shroom here, but there's a lot of truth in that in my xp from many years ago about how being in a bad environment (possibly just a bad mindset, not sure) can lead to a bad trip:
I never tried using them medicinally, but when I was a youth I got a bit adventurous and found some psylocibin mushrooms growing wild out in the forest, and as long as I didn't overdo the dosage, I had some fun trips out in the middle of nature with a chick who believes in fairies (LOL) and we had a ton of fun watching the forest come alive and both felt great afterward (though I have no clue how safe it is to use them regularly, but probably Pixel--dude does).
But then also some where I was around dangerous lowlifes in a shitty environment (it was stupid of me to take anything then, but I did) and it was a bad trip like being in a waking bad dream even though nothing objectively bad was happening, and I felt all f***ed up until it worked further out of my system, so I avoided messing with those in any negative context after that.

Edit: Also on this topic, Pixel--dude, do you know if there's any difference between the types of psilocybin that are used as medicinal supplements, vs what the adventurous types like me just found out in the woods and gobbled down on the spot, LOL? (Oh, and that latter thing is a potentially very dangerous thing to do because of potentially deadly "look-alikes," so that's one more thing in favor of buying your psilocybin.) :mrgreen:
Okay, I will amend my position thanks to the rebuke of @CaptainSkelebob. I don't encourage anyone to pack in their medication. I personally would never resort to being a customer of Big Pharma. But that's just my decision. @WilliamSmith and @kangarunner I advocate the use of entheogens because of how they helped me personally with depression and a lot of issues I was going through at the time. @Lucas88 and @Tsar have both had positive experiences with them. But I encourage people to do their own research and be cautious.

To answer some of the points raised by @WilliamSmith there are different strains of mushrooms, each with varying strengths and potency. I recommend starting off with some of average potency. Take a very small dose to begin with and ease into a deeper experience. A deeper experience is what helped me confront some issues in my life.

I also recommend buying them from a site rather than picking them wild, especially if you don't know the difference between psilocybin mushrooms and poisonous ones. Just to be safe. But of course, don't take my word for anything, please do your own research and make a decision for yourself whether this is something you want to try.

If you take them make sure you treat the substance with respect and only have a strong dose once or twice a year at most, unless you want to microdose on them with an amount small enough to give a subperceptual uplift in mood.
Thnx PD
If ppl need medicine they should take it
Discouraging someone to not take medicine they need could really f**k em up
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I've had periods of bad depression. They've mostly occurred later in life and I thought there was a link with testosterone. It was really bad when I was TEFL'ing in China. While teaching was fun, I had very little social life.

Right now I'm also trying to lower my blood pressure. It's also not at all easy to single out cause and effect.

State of mind appears to be of gigantic importance, moreso than diet or maybe even medication. Human civilisation is hierarchical, and especially if you're a man, having lower self esteem is VERY bad for your health.

While many HA'ers are annoyed by the red pillers' status objects (big house, car, hot wife) these might actually be the secret of a long and happy life.

Having a social circle is definitely important.

Being too virtuous is oddly really BAD for health. Alcohol seems to be oddly important in life, as long as you don't turn into one of those people who drink a bottle of spirits a day.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

xiongmao wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 9:18 am
I've had periods of bad depression. They've mostly occurred later in life and I thought there was a link with testosterone. It was really bad when I was TEFL'ing in China. While teaching was fun, I had very little social life.

Right now I'm also trying to lower my blood pressure. It's also not at all easy to single out cause and effect.

State of mind appears to be of gigantic importance, moreso than diet or maybe even medication. Human civilisation is hierarchical, and especially if you're a man, having lower self esteem is VERY bad for your health.

While many HA'ers are annoyed by the red pillers' status objects (big house, car, hot wife) these might actually be the secret of a long and happy life.

Having a social circle is definitely important.

Being too virtuous is oddly really BAD for health. Alcohol seems to be oddly important in life, as long as you don't turn into one of those people who drink a bottle of spirits a day.
Hey buddy! Long time no see. Thanks for your contribution. I've recently been enjoying a few bottles of Kopperberg a night. I don't know if that's due to depression or what. I just enjoy the flavour.

How have things been?
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

xiongmao wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 9:18 am
Google "social rank theory".
Social rank theory (SRT) suggests depression stems from feelings of defeat and entrapment that ensue from experiencing oneself to be of lower rank than others.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3059404 ... %20others.
Social rank theory argues that emotions and moods are significantly influenced by the perceptions of one's social status/rank; that is the degree to which one feels inferior to others and looked down on. A common outcome of such perceptions is submissive behavior.
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... 0behavior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.