What is Winston's franchise worth?

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:
Rock wrote:Since assorted nut-jobs have been given free reign, I imagine that the site's value to a third party will fall fast if this style of management continues.

Almost all fresh content is generated on the forum. Winston hasn't gone anywhere new in many years so his direct experience and personal stuff is totally stale. Now that the site is becoming contaminated, its getting quite tedious and boring.

Hope Winston can at least make it to China soon. If he doesn't and if the forum continues in the current direction, HA may just slowly fade out.
You and Repatriate are blowing things out of proportion again. You remind me of that saying, "In every generation, people see the present as worse than it is, and the past as better than it was" which is true because people have been doing that for thousands of years.

I am not giving trolls free reign here. I gave Konrad a chance and warning, out of niceness and courtesy. But he blew it again. So he will be banned. Simple as that.

Why are you magnifying this problem? There is only one troll right now, Konradzsky. The others are not a problem. It's not hard to deal with one troll. Only one guy is a problem, not a group.

Repatriate went too far. Even you said you agreed with that. His trigger finger was way too loose and he was too eager to delete posts. I show compassion and give people chances. So I am nicer, but only to a certain point. It appears that Konradzsky has crossed the line again. But Repatriate was in error to ban GuitarGuy, martinmay, maker55, etc. That was not necessary, as you say.

As The Arab said, wise people don't abuse their power. They only use it when necessary. I would agree.

It is not true that all fresh content is generated in the forum. I have added many new essays and articles the past few months.

As long as there's fresh content in the forum, people will come. That's why this movement is a group movement, not just me. All the pressure should not be on me or any one person. I'm simply a guide and platform.

You are wrong about something. This forum's traffic is not dependent on my traveling to new places. Even though I haven't gone anywhere new, the forum traffic has still been increasing. That's because of a number of things, including my SEO efforts and the content generation here. Me traveling more does not bring in more traffic. More traffic comes from a combination of other factors - SEO, increased content generated by everyone, word of mouth, cross promotions, hit pieces like the ones from Jezebel, etc.

No website article about SEO says that you have to travel more to increase your site's traffic. LOL You also forget that people come to this forum not to post about me, but to post about THEMSELVES, and to ask questions, rant, share experiences, etc. They don't come to discuss me. That's another error you made.

How come sometimes you make factual errors just to play devil's advocate? I don't understand that. It's not logical. For instance, when you debated me about dressing professionally (and lost I might add), you said that the reason CNN news anchors dress professionally is because their bosses tell them to. But anyone who graduated high school knows that's not true. And even you are smart enough to know that that's not the reason, so why did you say it? Did you make a false statement deliberately? The reason is because when you are seen by the public in your job, you are supposed to dress professionally. It's basic professional etiquette. Without it, you lose respect and are taken less seriously. Duh. If you owned a company, would you let your receptionist wear jeans and t-shirts with rock band names on it, so that your clients all lose respect for you? Your boss doesn't have to tell you that, because your high school teacher was supposed to have explained that to you when you were 17 or 18. Everyone knows this. So how come you didn't?! WTF?! Yet you made a factual error just to play devil's advocate. Why? Isn't accuracy important to you? If so, why do you deliberately make false statements just to play devil's advocate. What is the logic and rationale for doing that? It's very strange.

I explained this in detail to Xiongmao in the other thread, which I PMed to you. He was totally PWNED.
Ok, I'll give you a lot of what you argued above about traffic and revenue on your website. You know a lot more about this than I do.

But as far as winning arguments and debates goes, I think you have a vivid imagination. Probably more than half the time when you claim victory in one of these, others are laughing their asses off at you. Your judgment is very subjective when it pertains to yourself or one of your gurus of the month. It seems that sometimes your view of objective reality is quite distorted. You win because you said so the most times. Something is illogical because you said it is. Your actual back-up arguments are often lacking or flawed.

Perhaps our images of success are different. For you, its some newsreader on TV or corporate drone with a decent job title in a big firm. For me, its people who have done so well that they can say screw-you to convention and do exactly as they please. BTW, when I worked, and it was a public job, people who were very successful in my industry tended to dress very casually. Some, especially those with 'f**k you money or status' would dress like slobs sometimes. BTW, the secretaries and receptionists sometimes wore jeans too. That's a fact, not a false statement. So where's the factual error??? BTW, please don't take my statements out of context. I told you that corporate policy was just one of the potential reason some newscasters and anchors wore suits. And I threw up a couple of exceptions too. Believe it or not, some people don't trust others in suits. There are industries and even certain geographic regions where wearing a suit often works against you.

In that regard, I challenge you to point out any false statement I have made here. Just because you don't agree or believe what I write does not make it incorrect. I only play devil's advocate when I don't agree with something written which in your case, has happened a lot in the past. That's my logic and rationale for making the statements and arguments which are not false, IMO at least, and which I continue to stand-by.

As for Repatriate, I texted you that he might have gone too far in case or two but I had not read all the posts so couldn't be sure. And I reminded you that he did a lot of work for you. My suggestion was to allow banning but to defer post deletions for a second review.

Finally, regarding Konrad, you should have banned his ass as soon as he attacked Phonenix Sosa with all those ugly racist taunts which insulted many posters here, not just him. Instead, you just commented on how entertaining their feud was. Winston, where's your brain man? Where's your logic and your common sense? Those who argue that you have subjective double standard have a pretty strong case I think.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Hmmm, why didn't the formatting work on my last post? I even tried bolding what I wrote to no avail.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock,
Did you read the post to Xiongmao?
viewtopic.php?p=66142#66142

Why do you think that newscasters would wear cheap t-shirts and jeans if there was no corporate policy against it? What is your logic behind that?

What you said is obviously false because the reason people dress up when they make public appearances in their job is PROFESSIONAL ETIQUETTE. Do you understand what that is? Your high school teacher should have explained it to you.

Even David Icke, who is against the system and against conformity, wears a decent dress shirt in his public lectures. People pay to see him and travel a long way, so he's got to at least look decent to them.

Is that too hard for you to understand? If so, why? Even dumb teens understand this. So why is it beyond you?

Just because you deny losing a debate, doesn't mean you haven't lost. If you are wrong, then you are wrong. Simple as that. If I checkmate you in chess, and you deny it, that doesn't change anything. There is nothing subjective about that.

This debate here is about common knowledge, which even teens know. But you are denying it to play devil's advocate. I don't know why.

Let me ask you again. If you owned a company, would you let your receptionist wear whatever she wanted? Even a Motley Crue t-shirt? Would you care about looking respectable in front of your clients? If not, then you would totally fail.

Even high school teens understand this concept. Why is it so alien to you?

Anyone who has worked in the real world understands it too.

This is about basic etiquette, not about screwballs.

If you were invited to a fancy dinner or ball with a bunch of elite upper class people, would you show up in a cheap t-shirt and jeans? What if Bill Gates flew you over to talk about business and make you a lucrative offer? Would you show up in a cheap t-shirts? Would you show any respect or etiquette?

Have you ever gone to a job interview in the US? If so, what did you wear when you showed up?

When you worked in Taiwan, and went to meet clients, did you dress like a slob to meet them? Or did you try to look presentable?

You should try to work in America with that kind of attitude, and learn a lesson. lol

Casual is fine, as long as its presentable. I'm not talking about suit and tie here. I'm saying that wearing what you wear when you go jogging in the park or painting your house is not professional if you are seen by the public in your job, or doing a video interview about your business.

I know some receptionists wear jeans. But they usually have a nice decent looking blouse on top, not a cheap t-shirt with a rock band on it. I'm just saying that there is a RESPECTABLE STANDARD. Do you understand that?

Would you want a receptionist greeting your clients while wearing a Motley Crue t-shirt or wearing Goth clothes?

Can you answer that?

If you managed a car dealership, would you let your salesmen dress like slobs in front of clients? Would you let them wear a t-shirt with a rock band name on it?

Can you answer that?

I don't care if some millionaire wants to dress like a slob. This is about common sense basic etiquette, professionalism, courtesy, and looking presentable.

If you are a computer programmer sitting in an office, your boss will not care what you wear, because you are not seen by customers or the public. But if you are in a public position where you are seen by clients and customers, then of course you have to look professional to be taken seriously. This is common sense. I don't understand why you have trouble understanding this. Your high school teacher should have explained this to you.

Teens understand this. Anyone in the working world understands this too. So why does it seem to be beyond you? Why are you debating this? Are you denying the most simple obvious things, just to play devil's advocate? If so, why?

Can you answer that?

PS - Why do you deny ever making any factual errors ever on this forum? Are you saying you are error free? Didn't you just admit that you were wrong about traffic when you insinuated that my new overseas travels are what produces traffic in this forum? FYI, my old travel photos, videos and journals are doing fine at bringing traffic and inspiring newcomers. It's the concept that matters. New travels would be icing on the cake, but not that necessary.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock wrote:Hmmm, why didn't the formatting work on my last post? I even tried bolding what I wrote to no avail.
Because in the posting form, you accidentally checked the box "Disable BBCode in this post" which disabled all HTML and formatting tags. haha. I went ahead and fixed it for you by unchecking it.

See what happens when you accidentally click boxes that you didn't mean to click, Mr. "I've never made any factual errors"? haha :P (tongue sticking out)

Don't worry though, you're not the first here to make that "mistake". haha

I removed the bolding too, since it wasn't necessary after it was fixed.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:Rock,
Did you read the post to Xiongmao?
viewtopic.php?p=66142#66142

Why do you think that newscasters would wear cheap t-shirts and jeans if there was no corporate policy against it? What is your logic behind that?

What you said is obviously false because the reason people dress up when they make public appearances in their job is PROFESSIONAL ETIQUETTE. Do you understand what that is? Your high school teacher should have explained it to you.

Even David Icke, who is against the system and against conformity, wears a decent dress shirt in his public lectures. People pay to see him and travel a long way, so he's got to at least look decent to them.

Is that too hard for you to understand? If so, why? Even dumb teens understand this. So why is it beyond you?

Just because you deny losing a debate, doesn't mean you haven't lost. If you are wrong, then you are wrong. Simple as that. If I checkmate you in chess, and you deny it, that doesn't change anything. There is nothing subjective about that.

This debate here is about common knowledge, which even teens know. But you are denying it to play devil's advocate. I don't know why.

Let me ask you again. If you owned a company, would you let your receptionist wear whatever she wanted? Even a Motley Crue t-shirt? Would you care about looking respectable in front of your clients? If not, then you would totally fail.

Even high school teens understand this concept. Why is it so alien to you?

Anyone who has worked in the real world understands it too.

This is about basic etiquette, not about screwballs.

If you were invited to a fancy dinner or ball with a bunch of elite upper class people, would you show up in a cheap t-shirt and jeans? What if Bill Gates flew you over to talk about business and make you a lucrative offer? Would you show up in a cheap t-shirts? Would you show any respect or etiquette?

Have you ever gone to a job interview in the US? If so, what did you wear when you showed up?

When you worked in Taiwan, and went to meet clients, did you dress like a slob to meet them? Or did you try to look presentable?

You should try to work in America with that kind of attitude, and learn a lesson. lol

Casual is fine, as long as its presentable. I'm not talking about suit and tie here. I'm saying that wearing what you wear when you go jogging in the park or painting your house is not professional if you are seen by the public in your job, or doing a video interview about your business.

I know some receptionists wear jeans. But they usually have a nice decent looking blouse on top, not a cheap t-shirt with a rock band on it. I'm just saying that there is a RESPECTABLE STANDARD. Do you understand that?

Would you want a receptionist greeting your clients while wearing a Motley Crue t-shirt or wearing Goth clothes?

Can you answer that?

If you managed a car dealership, would you let your salesmen dress like slobs in front of clients? Would you let them wear a t-shirt with a rock band name on it?

Can you answer that?

I don't care if some millionaire wants to dress like a slob. This is about common sense basic etiquette, professionalism, courtesy, and looking presentable.

If you are a computer programmer sitting in an office, your boss will not care what you wear, because you are not seen by customers or the public. But if you are in a public position where you are seen by clients and customers, then of course you have to look professional to be taken seriously. This is common sense. I don't understand why you have trouble understanding this. Your high school teacher should have explained this to you.

Teens understand this. Anyone in the working world understands this too. So why does it seem to be beyond you? Why are you debating this? Are you denying the most simple obvious things, just to play devil's advocate? If so, why?

Can you answer that?

PS - Why do you deny ever making any factual errors ever on this forum? Are you saying you are error free? Didn't you just admit that you were wrong about traffic when you insinuated that my new overseas travels are what produces traffic in this forum? FYI, my old travel photos, videos and journals are doing fine at bringing traffic and inspiring newcomers. It's the concept that matters. New travels would be icing on the cake, but not that necessary.
Let me answer all of your monotonous and mostly pointless questions at once in a big picture sort of way - because my definition of real success is being able to say and do whatever one wants and screw PROFESSIONAL ETIQUETTE. For some, that involves dressing casual or even in a sloppy manner. Most 'made men' in my book are worth at least tens of millions and/or have a tremendous amount of power in some way. I gave my examples, you gave yours. All you proved was that you disagree with me and that you see real success differently than I do. If you wanna reply with a 50 page dissertation as to why I'm wrong, have at it Hoss. It's your life, enjoy. Why don't you answer a few of my Qs in the process.

OK, what the hell, I'll answer a few of your specific Qs too:

1. Let me ask you again. If you owned a company, would you let your receptionist wear whatever she wanted? Even a Motley Crue t-shirt? Would you care about looking respectable in front of your clients? If not, then you would totally fail.

Depends on the industry. Like I said, in my last job, receptionists often wore jeans. Even our global CEO was a very casual dresser (not total slob though) who was also a McDonalds addict. The firm still made a lot of money both in Taiwan and globally. So much for your prediction of total fail. All the clients cared about was how well could help them do their jobs and make money. And the clients of my clients were like that too.

2. If you were invited to a fancy dinner or ball with a bunch of elite upper class people, would you show up in a cheap t-shirt and jeans?

I wouldn't show-up at all, that's for sure. If I had to go for some reason, I would follow the dress code. So I'm a conformist in that way.

3. What if Bill Gates flew you over to talk about business and make you a lucrative offer? Would you show up in a cheap t-shirts? Would you show any respect or etiquette?

I would probably dress casual to smart casual unless advised otherwise after doing some due diligence cus that's the way I picture him. I wouldn't be worried much about my clothes or outward appearance. Rather, I know he's going to test my intellect and that's where most people fail with him. People with regular brains like most people are going to bore him to tears real fast.

4. Why do you deny ever making any factual errors ever on this forum? Are you saying you are error free? Didn't you just admit that you were wrong about traffic when you insinuated that my new overseas travels are what produces traffic in this forum?

When did I ever deny this or claim to be error free? I just admitted to making a mistake in my very last post as you so acknowledge. Stop projecting your inaccurate perceptions onto me please. It gets tiresome having to correct you so often.

BTW, now that I've humored you by responding to your Qs, why don't you return the favor and answer the ones I've posted in the last 2 posts of this thread. Otherwise, I won't bother answering any more of what you ask here.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:
Rock wrote:Hmmm, why didn't the formatting work on my last post? I even tried bolding what I wrote to no avail.
Because in the posting form, you accidentally checked the box "Disable BBCode in this post" which disabled all HTML and formatting tags. haha. I went ahead and fixed it for you by unchecking it.

See what happens when you accidentally click boxes that you didn't mean to click, Mr. "I've never made any factual errors"? haha :P (tongue sticking out)

Don't worry though, you're not the first here to make that "mistake". haha

I removed the bolding too, since it wasn't necessary after it was fixed.
My bad, sorry. Understand, I use a light Toshiba laptop without a mouse. The touch pad on these models is quite sensitive and often has the cursor jumping all over the place. When I type fast, crazy things happen sometimes like I jump a couple pages forward or back or I end up typing in an entirely different place then I started. When the cursor jumps around like that, I sometimes miss some of the mistake made or typos created in other parts of the post.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock,
According to this report, my site is worth $100,000 USD. lol

http://bearseotool.com/s.aspx?ym=www.happierabroad.com

Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Winston,
A site's worth is mainly based on the daily unique visitors, daily revenue and a bunch of other factors, but these are the main ones. The way to get the value of a site is you take the yearly revenue and multiply it by an average of 3-5 depending on the site, the niche and its potential .So if your site is generating about 30 bucks a day or 900/month, or 10,800 per year then your site's fair market value is anywhere between 32,400 to 54,000.

Now, if you were smart, you would hire a pro to get your site the boost it needs as it does have potential but in your lazy hands, it won't go nowhere near as far as it could...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well if you know any pros, feel free to refer me to them. I'm open to their suggestions about how to improve/boost this site. But so far, none have given me any. If they are good suggestions, I'm willing to contract them to do stuff to improve/boost this site.

I'm not lazy, just burned out and overwhelmed. I don't have a team of workers like other webmasters do.

You guys are helping to boost this site everyday, with the new content you are posting, which is being indexed well in search engines. :)

eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 19th, 2013, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

bryansmit50 wrote:There are dynamic marketplaces for dealing sites which provide enough transactional record for difficult assessment designs to be resulting from. Present per month earnings is going to be a key measurement for most of these. Traffic information are important as well. There are many other aspects which may be a concern with regards to the style and technique will differ significantly between the different groups of sites and their earnings resources.
Someone please ban this clown spammer!