US Dollar Will Collapse In 2013

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

If you hate living in the US your going to hate it more very soon. Max Keiser gives an update on the US economy. Interview starts at 5:50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thx47NcPRPM
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: US Dollar Will Collapse In 2013

Post by Rock »

Taco wrote:If you hate living in the US your going to hate it more very soon. Max Keiser gives an update on the US economy. Interview starts at 5:50.

Come-on now genius. You said it was going to collapse in 2011 then 2012! What happened? Why the delay? Can you tell us the exact month, week and day of 2013 this collapse will begin o wise one. JJJJJ
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Taco wrote:If you hate living in the US your going to hate it more very soon. Max Keiser gives an update on the US economy. Interview starts at 5:50.

Well, Lindsay Williams has said that the elites don't want the dollar to collapse anytime soon until the debt really gets out of hand and the country is literally bankrupt. I'm guessing the timeline is around 2014-2015 according to Lindsay, but I won't bet against Max Keiser's prediction of a collapse in 2013. Thank goodness I won't be in the U.S. by then!
sfexcellence
Freshman Poster
Location: Body in Vancouver Canada, Mind + Heart + Soul in the World

Post by sfexcellence »

Yeah, I won't be able to exit Canada until this coming September at the earliest, ticket prices would be cheaper if I went through the US but I don't want to have a run in with the TSA groping, no pun intended. If it weren't for ticket prices being a little high I could leave sooner. Even though I'll be in CH (Confederation Helvetica - Switzerland) for only a month and a half I'll be getting involved with local activities and meeting people, so networking and maybe finding a girlfriend I can stay with. The only way for me to be able to stay in Europe for the long-term is 1)I'm making at least $1500/month and get a working holiday visa or French long-stay visa or 2)getting married to someone and going through the facilitated citizenship process in CH or citizenship process in another country.

I'm debating just paying off debts and getting to Europe for 1.5 months vs building my business over time and later on going to Europe for long stay, there are pluses and minuses for both options. I need to get out of NA for a while, and sooner rather than later. If I work on building my business now and not later, I have a good plan in place, I can build it up, pay off debts and still get out to CH later this year. Either way, the earliest I can leave is Sept 2013. The first option is guaranteed to get me to Europe in September but only to visit not to live, while the second option isn't guaranteed but with time can build up to a solid business and living in Europe, but we don't have lots of time.

I'm going to further examine my business options and then decide, building a solid business fast, generating income and then being in Europe and perhaps moving there would be the best option, 1.5 months is too short and I really really hate the reverse culture shock that happens when I come back to Canada.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

People said that about 2008 too. For some reason, people like to prophecize gloom and doom. It seems to be human nature. Just like the apocalypse prophecies with 2012. Come on now.

In the 19th Century, people were also saying that the financial system in America would collapse. And many Christians and religious fanatics were saying that the world would end too. I saw a history documentary about this. (It was called "The Secret of Oz", available on YouTube) Same thing as today. We just have more advanced technology nowadays.

For some reason, people have a tendency to see the past as better than it actually was, the present as worse than it actually is, and the future as a bleak dystopia. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

I kinda feed myself with a few dollar pairs that I trade and have done so for some time. If Mad Max was so certain, he would be
heavily vested in a short position on the dollar vs some currencies that would be more stable...Swiss Franc, Japanese yen, or the Aussie dollar. Somehow I think his "trade" is more about selling books than putting his money where his mouth is and betting his fortune on his oh so certain bet that the dollar will tank this year...OH! he could loose money that way! I guess he will leave that to the suckers that buy his books and other goodies.

Outwest
sfexcellence
Freshman Poster
Location: Body in Vancouver Canada, Mind + Heart + Soul in the World

Post by sfexcellence »

Yeah, predictions that should not be taken too seriously. I've made my decision, my business plan is good but it may take more than 6 months to build a solid business with good income, so am going to focus on paying off debts and getting out + saving up money so that once debts are paid off I can travel frequently, then trying out the business plan to see if it'll work, it's about capture pages and pay per view advertising on trafficvance.com for my network marketing business, solid in theory but not so solid in practice in terms of profit potential, so am leaving it for later.

I've made it so that I'll be in Europe in August and September, maybe October as well, after which I may hit the Caribbean for the winter, and then Europe and Montreal in Spring and Summer 2014, doing the mini-retirements that Tim Ferriss talks about as worst-case scenario and more regular travel and moving to Europe as best case scenario if my business works out, if I had more income coming in I'd try it out but I'm on a fixed income, so prioritizing.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

zboy1 wrote:

Well, Lindsay Williams has said that the elites don't want the dollar to collapse anytime soon until the debt really gets out of hand and the country is literally bankrupt. I'm guessing the timeline is around 2014-2015 according to Lindsay, but I won't bet against Max Keiser's prediction of a collapse in 2013. Thank goodness I won't be in the U.S. by then!
It won't matter what country your in when the dollar crashes. The U.S. Dollar Index consists of six foreign currencies as well as the US dollar if they all crash at the same time things would get nasty very fast.
Euro (EUR)
Yen (JPY)
Pound (GBP)
Canadian dollar (CAD)
Krona (SEK)
Franc (CHF)

In addition, most people don't really unnderstand the financial terminolgy the media likes to use so I'll spell it out.
1. Qualitative Easing 1 (QE1 2008) = US Bankruptcy #1, 2008 financial crisis
2. Qualitative Easing 2 (QE2 2010) = US Bankruptcy #2
3. Qualitative Easing 3 (QE3 2012) = US Bankruptcy #3, aka. "Fiscal Cliff"
4. Qualitative Easing 4 (QE4 2013) = US Bankruptcy #4, is rumoured to start at the end of Febuary 2013
5. "Operation Twist" (2011/2012) - US goverment buys US bonds due to low demand to prevent the bond market from crashing

The Fed Cannot Stop Printing Money
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5sSB2KmFMM

For all the nonbelievers, keep watching Monday night football and drinking beer.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Rock wrote:

Come-on now genius. You said it was going to collapse in 2011 then 2012! What happened? Why the delay? Can you tell us the exact month, week and day of 2013 this collapse will begin o wise one.
My sentiment exactly. I get so tired of the alarmism based on conspiracy theories and other nonsense.

What constitutes collapse anyway? A decline of 15% or more like 75%? That term is so imprecise.

Even if the dollar "collapsed" it would do so much for US exports and tourism that the employment rate and economic growth would actually increase.
leavingusa
Freshman Poster

Post by leavingusa »

I felt the same way about the housing bubble and the first collapse. When I started reading about it in 2000 and followed it for 5 years and I started to doubt my sanity after a while. People said I was crazy, a year or two later, well you know the rest. The funny thing is no one remembered that I was telling them that, funny.

What I would worry about this year is food. Global food supply is very tight and this probably won't be a good harvest. Empty shelves would start a run on food and possibly the dollar.

People should know that we came very close to a full collapse in 2007, it was only averted because of the bailouts. Eventually we will soon get to a point where that is no longer possible, it is coming. But no one can say for certain when, there are too many variables.

Also, the argument that people have been forecasting disaster for years and it hasn't happened does not make them wrong.

Ron Paul has been warning about this stuff since the 80's, just because it didn't happen until a few years ago doesn't mean he was wrong back then. If you bought gold since the conspiracy "kooks" were telling you to you would be rolling in it.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

ahh, here's a tip for starters, stop listening to Max Kaiser!

although it will soon be exactly 100 years since the Federal Reserve Act was passed...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Reserve_Act

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

leavingusa wrote:I felt the same way about the housing bubble and the first collapse. When I started reading about it in 2000 and followed it for 5 years and I started to doubt my sanity after a while. People said I was crazy, a year or two later, well you know the rest. The funny thing is no one remembered that I was telling them that, funny.
We have a small bubble coming back in Los Angeles area right now. Fixer-upper homes that sold for $250k in mid 2012 are now being fixed up and flipped for $350k.

However, unlike the housing bubble of 1998-2006, you can't just "buy and flip" for big profits because the buyers have higher expectations. That is, you need to rip out the interior and put in new kitchen, bathroom, recessed lights, nice wood flooring, etc. to get a lot of good bids.

This favors the "contractor flipper" types who can do their own work. i.e. if you had to hire someone to put in a couple glass shower doors, it might cost you $400. But if you can do it yourself, $200 or less.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Momnopi is right about the re-inflation of the housing bubble but that was intentional the entire time.

To make the banks eat the lost values on homes around the country would mean certain death for at least three of them. The Government knows the public would revolt if they tried to bailout the banks again.

So they have kept interest rates negative and backstopped the banks in hopes real estate prices would go up once the majority of foreclosures finished.

This is now the case in some parts of California, especially in the LA area. The problem is of course larger than before.

1) The buyers are generally overbidding for property. Not a problem for large hedge funds who are making the massive investment - http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... ure-rental

In hopes of making it back in by renting the properties since most people would have a hard time getting a home loan with the more restrictive requirements.

2) This puts prices back out of the reach of the average family looking for a home, will this lead to the relaxing of loan requirements and speculation (again?)

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... ure-rental

Back to the OP -

The dollar will not collapse not as you think it will anyway despite Alex Jones...

When the Government sees the collapse coming and they always do... They will default on the debt, I can't find the link anymore but I posted it once before when this collapse talk came up last time.

A default will be too disruptive. Cancelling the debt would make the bond market do a swan dive. The US will want to protect the bond holders, the REAL owners of America, to do that it will issue new currency, dropping the value of the old dollars.

This is why the Ultra Rich are buying Gold, Silver, Jewelry and Fine Art. The majority of them will not see the 60% or so hit they would take in value reduction. Those who have paper money and large amounts of it will be in BIG TROUBLE.

It will also drop the price of real estate. There is a possible silver lining there.

But the price will be much higher taxes across the board and that's how they would stick you with the bill.
terminator
Junior Poster

Post by terminator »

Wow, is it possible to hate it anymore - I can't believe it. However, I think TPTB can play games and extend the economy for a long time.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

I saw on the news there's talk of bringing down the debt by minting a trillion dollar coin. I don't think that will happen, but the fact that it is even brought up and supported by people like Paul Krugman is extremely alarming. Just like Zimbabwe. Also, one of the new talks is about the college bubble. Once that bursts there may well be actual riots. Of course, precise dating is impossible. However, the trends can certainly be seen. Dark times.