Counter Balanced Currencies?

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Counter Balanced Currencies?

Post by zacb »

Here is my idea for some currencies, since gold back dollars are not too likely anytime soon:

Have a back currency backed by a positive component (let's say something that really measures economic growth) and a negative component(like vix or such). If one goes up, the other goes down and vice versa. This will help the create a stable currency that will not fluctuate as much.

Have a system where there are two currencies, one for spending, and one for saving. Whenever you want to spend, the computer would sell off buying credits, in exchange for spending credits, and vice versa . This will create an equilibrium in pricing, since buying buying credits at a lower price would be key, individuals would put off buying, and save instead. This would encourage savings, which most of us agree is what leads to growth. If you disconnected buying from savings, the value of the currency would be left in tact. Now the only issue would be whether these should be fixed or dynamic. While it is natural for backed currencies to have inflation (usually 2% for gold, which is the growth rate of gold stock), could that lead to boom and bust cycles?

The meaning of both these ideas are to create a stable currency, in lieu of gold. The first is not so much something I actually want to do as just a theory. The second I want to implement as a programming project. If you could provide any insights, that would be greatly appreciated.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Re: Counter Balanced Currencies?

Post by Teal Lantern »

zacb wrote:Here is my idea for some currencies, since gold back dollars are not too likely anytime soon:

The meaning of both these ideas are to create a stable currency, in lieu of gold. The first is not so much something I actually want to do as just a theory. The second I want to implement as a programming project. If you could provide any insights, that would be greatly appreciated.
This presupposes the state wants stable currency.
If that were the case, we'd still be using tally sticks.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I was talking about it as a private currency, implemented online.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com