My 401(k): How can I protect myself before the collapse?

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

The problem with Gold and Silver I see is that, in a real collapse, people are going to be more interested in food, water, etc. than buying precious metals. They will have lost everything and will just be trying to survive. However, in anything less than a complete collapse, precious metals are a good way to retain the value of your $$. Also, the good thing about precious metals is that you can HIDE them. The government doesn't have to know how much you have saved.

The government can tax you out of your land. You don't REALLY own land as you pay taxes on it FOREVER. If you can't pay taxes, the government takes it. Having a small piece of land that you put a house on would probably be reasonably safe. However, buying large pieces of raw land could be easily stolen by a corrupt government.

The government will become more intrusive in the future. I would count on them to attempt to take your $$ and property in any way they can. The less they know about you and what you own, the better. When gold/silver doubles, triples and quadruples in value, you can bet that the government will wanna tax you on your precious metal "profits". In reality, you just wouldn't be paying that extra tax by government-caused Inflation. When you do anything with your $$, think first about how much you are revealing to your government.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

tre wrote:The problem with Gold and Silver I see is that, in a real collapse, people are going to be more interested in food, water, etc. than buying precious metals. They will have lost everything and will just be trying to survive. However, in anything less than a complete collapse, precious metals are a good way to retain the value of your $$. Also, the good thing about precious metals is that you can HIDE them. The government doesn't have to know how much you have saved.

The government can tax you out of your land. You don't REALLY own land as you pay taxes on it FOREVER. If you can't pay taxes, the government takes it. Having a small piece of land that you put a house on would probably be reasonably safe. However, buying large pieces of raw land could be easily stolen by a corrupt government.

The government will become more intrusive in the future. I would count on them to attempt to take your $$ and property in any way they can. The less they know about you and what you own, the better. When gold/silver doubles, triples and quadruples in value, you can bet that the government will wanna tax you on your precious metal "profits". In reality, you just wouldn't be paying that extra tax by government-caused Inflation. When you do anything with your $$, think first about how much you are revealing to your government.
True. But in order to get abroad, you need assets, so it is kinda a catch 22, and you need to make the leap. What I meant about real estate and the reporting is abroad. Diversify ,diversify, diversify. That is what will save your butt.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

My parents are landlords and my father wants to get rid of the rental properties before things get worse. There are already too many laws/regulations that make being a landlord a nightmare in the USA. If the economy collapses, then it would be very difficult to remove non-paying occupants. An attempt could be risking your life...literally. Even if you could get them out then they could damage your house or start it on fire. It will be much harder to find justice or get insurance coverage during an economic collapse. Being a landlord from abroad would be even worse in the event of an economic collapse. It would mean an immediate cut to your rental profit. If you didn't have much savings abroad, it would be hard to afford a plane ticket back to deal with it.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every investment choice. One will definitely have to take a leap or two and hope it doesn't backfire. Unfortunately, I've already taken some extremely bad leaps so I'm likely thinking things through more than most...
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

tre wrote:My parents are landlords and my father wants to get rid of the rental properties before things get worse. There are already too many laws/regulations that make being a landlord a nightmare in the USA. If the economy collapses, then it would be very difficult to remove non-paying occupants. An attempt could be risking your life...literally. Even if you could get them out then they could damage your house or start it on fire. It will be much harder to find justice or get insurance coverage during an economic collapse. Being a landlord from abroad would be even worse in the event of an economic collapse. It would mean an immediate cut to your rental profit. If you didn't have much savings abroad, it would be hard to afford a plane ticket back to deal with it.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every investment choice. One will definitely have to take a leap or two and hope it doesn't backfire. Unfortunately, I've already taken some extremely bad leaps so I'm likely thinking things through more than most...
That is true. I was thinking of diversifying over time. Perhaps oil wells (30k for fractional ownership). Perhaps having some Canadian and US assets would be a start. At this point in my life, I nee dto build my assets, and no matter how I shake it, I won't get out without regulation, and thus it comes with the territory. I get what you mean though. And the way I look at it, by the time I am abroad, I will have paid off the property, and thus a loss would not be as bad. It would still suck though. But my idea would be to use these American properties as a springboard abroad.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

tre wrote:The problem with Gold and Silver I see is that, in a real collapse, people are going to be more interested in food, water, etc. than buying precious metals. They will have lost everything and will just be trying to survive. However, in anything less than a complete collapse, precious metals are a good way to retain the value of your $$. Also, the good thing about precious metals is that you can HIDE them. The government doesn't have to know how much you have saved.

Have you not watched any of the videos I posted???

You don't get it.

The dollar is going to ZERO, how will people be able to buy food and water???

The prices of gold and silver will go up and gold and silver has been used as money countless times throughout history.

People will be able to exchange gold and silver for goods and services because that has happened in the ancient days when their currencies went bust.

Please go back and watch the videos I posted.
Last edited by SilverEnergy on October 21st, 2013, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

tre wrote:My parents are landlords and my father wants to get rid of the rental properties before things get worse. There are already too many laws/regulations that make being a landlord a nightmare in the USA. If the economy collapses, then it would be very difficult to remove non-paying occupants. An attempt could be risking your life...literally. Even if you could get them out then they could damage your house or start it on fire. It will be much harder to find justice or get insurance coverage during an economic collapse. Being a landlord from abroad would be even worse in the event of an economic collapse. It would mean an immediate cut to your rental profit. If you didn't have much savings abroad, it would be hard to afford a plane ticket back to deal with it.

What!? lol

Real estate will be one of the best hedges against hyperinflation.

As long as people need a place to live be it a home, condo, mansion, townhouse or apartment, real estate will always be relevant.
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

zacb wrote:

True. But in order to get abroad, you need assets, so it is kinda a catch 22, and you need to make the leap. What I meant about real estate and the reporting is abroad. Diversify ,diversify, diversify. That is what will save your butt.
Diversification isn't going to work like it once did.

I mean if you're trying to diversify in bonds, stocks and mutual funds.....you're toast.

But if you mean that you're going to invest in precious metals, real estate, oil and gas then you are on the correct path.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

And as far as nationalization, barring some lenninesqe or stalinesqe type scenarion, most the time the resources are the main target. And if the debts are paye doff, people will still pay rent. And if we are going into hyperinflation (which would happen under most the scenarios required for a colapse), then debt would be worthless. But the worst case scenario is always worth considering.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

SilverEnergy wrote:

What!? lol

Real estate will be one of the best hedges against hyperinflation.

As long as people need a place to live be it a home, condo, mansion, townhouse or apartment, real estate will always be relevant.

Yes, this is true UNLESS the majority of people have no means to PAY for their occupancy. If the USD has less value, then the rent price will have to go up in order to be worth renting the place. Most people don't have much savings and they have very little, if any, real assets. So what then? You'd have to kick them out and people are going to be so desperate that they may violently protest being removed. Suicide will be rampant so you can bet on homicide going up as well...

My father is too caring and religious to kick families out of rental properties when they are desperate. That is why he wants to get rid of the rental properties before he's placed in a serious predicament. My parents OWN their own home, that's the important thing...
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: My 401(k): How can I protect myself before the collapse?

Post by momopi »

Rocky Top wrote:I can't just bail out of my 401(k) and cashout because I'm still employed, so what other alternative (besides quitting my job) do I have? I have a fear that the Feds would pull a Cyprus on us and grab our retirement money. I'm presently invested in international mutual funds with about 80% of that in foreign stocks. I figured that since I'm fully invested in the US with my home, my job and other assets, why not diversify my risk to international mutual funds outside of the US?
Or am I just screwed anyways?
First, when employers ditched pensions and gave their workers 401(k)'s, the workers now assume the risk of market volatility. This means, the worker got screwed to begin with. Not that I think it's realistic for companies to go back to traditional pension plans today.

Second, your alternatives would depend on the scenario that you're preparing for. In a zombie apocalypse, your 401(k), cash, gold, silver, etc. will be worthless. You'd be better off with emergency rations and a shotgun.

When my grandparents left Manchuria during the Chinese Civil War, we were a prosperous clan and had numerous properties and business assets. Yet the only things of value that my grandparents could take were gold jewelry that could be easily concealed & carried. Silver was too heavy for the same value, and part of the trip had to be made on foot (this was post-WW2 China with poor infrastructure). The gold that they carried enabled them to book a boat passage to Taiwan, and later invest in a local construction company. Quoting my grandmother, she had a bag of gold rings, some of which became properties of the local butcher's wife who wore them, because she traded them to put meat on the table.

During the Chinese Civil War, inflation was rampant and paper currency suffered daily decline in value. A joke was said that you could sit down for a bowl of noodles, and by the time you're done eating, the price of the noodle had gone up. However, these periods of hyperinflation were temporary, and as soon as order was restored and new paper currency were issued, everyone went back to using paper currency.

If you're worried about a government raid on your retirement accounts, the likely scenario is that the government impose some emergency tax on withdraws. So those who put money in Roth-IRA, thinking that they'd be tax exempt, will be in for a shock. You will still get your money, only less money.

How you'd prepare for these risks really depends on the different scenarios that you want to prepare for. If one were to prepare for "bugging out", then it can be assumed that you can't take RE investments with you.