83 Numbers From 2013

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

83 Numbers From 2013

Post by Taco »

If your still optimistic about living in America after reading this your either drunk or on crack.

83 Numbers From 2013
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/arch ... to-believe
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

Even the 11 percent adjusted unemployment figure is low-balling it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's up around 15% or higher by now. This article is from July.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/ ... you-think/
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

How come hardly anyone posts in this forum?

This is one of the best forums on HA.

I don't know if the whole world will collapse in 2016 but we will have another economic collapse around 2016.

People still insist on getting a "job".

Getting a "job" is one of the worst things you can do in today's world.

People need to learn how to become business owners and investors.
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

SilverEnergy wrote:How come hardly anyone posts in this forum?

I don't know if the whole world will collapse in 2016 but we will have another economic collapse around 2016.

Some people will never be cut out for owning their own business. For those people, high paying jobs allow them to acquire investment capital. Compare balance sheets with me in 10 years and we can see how well each of our approaches worked. When working, I was investing about 20k a year. It would have taken me years to build a business that could not only sustain itself, but pay my 50k salary AND leave 20k for investment. As the saying goes, you have to have money to make money.

The vast majority of online entrepreneurs fail, and those that succeed usually spend 1-2 decades doing so. I think I'll take my chances with my medical degree. If it stops paying, I can always say f**k it and be a teacher overseas.

And America IS screwed, but it will be a slow decline. Few empires collapse in days. I give it 20-30 years before the decline is in full swing, which is about when Medicare and SS are paying out at maximum rates. There is a chance that even then it will not come to fruition if recent republican spending cuts remain in place and the Bush era tax cuts are reversed. Look up some nonpartisan figures or google projected expenditures as a percentage of GDP. In pure dollars, spending will rise, but not much compared to overall GDP growth. Someone here will be laughing all the way to the bank in a few years, and, barring an event that is completely unprecedented in history in both scope and speed, my bets are on me.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

HouseMD wrote:

The vast majority of online entrepreneurs fail, and those that succeed usually spend 1-2 decades doing so. I think I'll take my chances with my medical degree. If it stops paying, I can always say f**k it and be a teacher overseas.

Someone here will be laughing all the way to the bank in a few years, and, barring an event that is completely unprecedented in history in both scope and speed, my bets are on me.
Are you an MD now or are you a medical student? If you are an MD have you completed your residency or are you in it now? What residency?
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Devil Dog wrote:
HouseMD wrote:

Someone here will be laughing all the way to the bank in a few years, and, barring an event that is completely unprecedented in history in both scope and speed, my bets are on me.
Are you an MD now or are you a medical student? If you are an MD have you completed your residency or are you in it now? What residency?
I'm a medical student hoping to match either anesthesia or emergency medicine. Worked in an allied health field for 5 years prior to starting med school, so I'm aware of the suck that is much of modern medicine. And the MD is a bit of a misnomer, I will actually graduate as a DO, but plan to do an ACGME residency at a hospital my school has strong ties with in regards to their IM, EM, and anesthesia programs. Basically I have to believe the financial system will work for another 10 years, because that's how long it'll take me to get ahead.

I'm actually kind of scared I might decide to go for pulmonology/cc though. It was closely related to my prior career and I loved ICU work, but the lifestyle is shit (long hours, always on call) and the residency+fellowship is 6 years after med school. You can't help it when you fall for a field though, it's sort of like being in love.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

HouseMD wrote:
Devil Dog wrote:
HouseMD wrote:

I'm a medical student hoping to match either anesthesia or emergency medicine. Worked in an allied health field for 5 years prior to starting med school, so I'm aware of the suck that is much of modern medicine. And the MD is a bit of a misnomer, I will actually graduate as a DO, but plan to do an ACGME residency at a hospital my school has strong ties with in regards to their IM, EM, and anesthesia programs. Basically I have to believe the financial system will work for another 10 years, because that's how long it'll take me to get ahead.

I'm actually kind of scared I might decide to go for pulmonology/cc though. It was closely related to my prior career and I loved ICU work, but the lifestyle is shit (long hours, always on call) and the residency+fellowship is 6 years after med school. You can't help it when you fall for a field though, it's sort of like being in love.
Cool. One of my daughters is a third year medical student. She has wanted to be a pediatrician since she was very young.

Financial system working for 10 years? Most here think it won't last 10 more months, but that also gives them a good reason to sit on their asses instead of working for something.
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

HouseMD wrote:

Some people will never be cut out for owning their own business. For those people, high paying jobs allow them to acquire investment capital. Compare balance sheets with me in 10 years and we can see how well each of our approaches worked. When working, I was investing about 20k a year. It would have taken me years to build a business that could not only sustain itself, but pay my 50k salary AND leave 20k for investment. As the saying goes, you have to have money to make money.

And America IS screwed, but it will be a slow decline. Few empires collapse in days. I give it 20-30 years before the decline is in full swing, which is about when Medicare and SS are paying out at maximum rates. There is a chance that even then it will not come to fruition if recent republican spending cuts remain in place and the Bush era tax cuts are reversed. Look up some nonpartisan figures or google projected expenditures as a percentage of GDP. In pure dollars, spending will rise, but not much compared to overall GDP growth. Someone here will be laughing all the way to the bank in a few years, and, barring an event that is completely unprecedented in history in both scope and speed, my bets are on me.
Economic collapses in America has been separated by 8 years, there was one in 2000 and one in 2008, there will be another one in 2016 or 2017 but it PROBABLY won't be world wide but people in America will feel it....but regardless I am preparing for it.

A world wide collapse just might take a bit longer, I say withing 15 years, the entire world will collapse, we shall see.

A high paying job is good because it gives you extra capital to invest but MOST people don't want to go to school for years to get the training to go into a specialized field, especially with tuition rising due to inflation.

I have a Bachelor's Degree from a university but I would NOT go back to college EVER. If I knew everything I knew now as a college freshman, I would immediately invest in real estate or get entrepreneur training.

As far as business owners failing, many fail because they don't start off with the right principles of business such as managing your cash flow and delegating tasks, that's why I always preach about getting a business coach to guide you so that you won't have to make mistakes that most do who try to do it all by themselves.

But if you do have a high paying job such as a doctor, lawyer or engineer, I would save some money, buy some gold, silver and invest in real estate, stock up on food and water for emergencies AND/OR save enough to start a business and if that takes off, then you don't need to work anymore.

401K plans are getting eaten by inflation and are connected to stocks, mutual funds and bonds. Medicare, medicaid and social security are going to cease to exist within 5-15 years.

But you CAN use a job to your advantage if you adapt to how the economy has changed in the past few decades.
Last edited by SilverEnergy on December 17th, 2013, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

SilverEnergy wrote:
HouseMD wrote:

A high paying job is good because it gives you extra capital to invest but MOST people don't want to go to school for years to get the training to go into a specialized field.

I have a Bachelor's Degree from a university but I would NOT go back to college EVER.

As far as business owners failing, many fail because they don't start off with the right principles of business such as managing your cash flow and delegating tasks, that's why I always preach about getting a business coach to guide you so that you won't have to make mistakes that most do who try to do it all by themselves.

But if you do have a high paying job such as a doctor, lawyer or engineer, I would save some money, buy some gold, silver and invest in real estate, stock up on food and water for emergencies AND/OR save enough to start a business and if that takes off, then you don't need to work anymore.

401K plans are getting eaten by inflation and are connected to stocks, mutual funds and bonds. Medicare, medicaid and social security are going to cease to exist within 5-15 years.

I'm just saying don't just think that a job is the beginning and the end but hey, if you enjoy it and you are helping people in the process then that's a great thing.

But you CAN use a job to your advantage if you adapt to how the economy has changed in the past few decades.
A fair enough assessment. Agree with everything but the 401k bit. A good investor will basically always outperform inflation in the market on a non-crash year. I'm usually up at least 10% a year. Gold is shaky, silver is worth some investment at the moment though. Still wouldn't bet my savings on it. Diversity in investing is key, now and forever.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Bane wrote:Even the 11 percent adjusted unemployment figure is low-balling it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's up around 15% or higher by now. This article is from July.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/ ... you-think/

http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/19/news/ec ... mployment/

Why take the effort of actually calling people, when you can make up the answers and get paid? ;p