Has Anyone Tried Drop Shipping?

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Has Anyone Tried Drop Shipping?

Post by Taco »

Drop shipping is a supply chain management technique in which the retailer(you) does not keep goods in stock, but instead transfers customer orders and shipment details to either the manufacturer or a wholesaler, who then ships the goods directly to the customer. The majority of retailers make their profit on the difference between the wholesale and retail price but some retailers earn an agreed percentage of the sales in commission, paid by the wholesaler to the retailer.

I'd just like to hear any advice, experiences, products and best sites for selling online. Thanks.

Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Has Anyone Tried Drop Shipping?

Post by Moretorque »

It will just help aid in the collapse of civilization and since that is what you want you should have at it. :wink:
Time to Hide!
lasttry
Freshman Poster

Post by lasttry »

Taco wrote:Drop shipping is a supply chain management technique in which the retailer(you) does not keep goods in stock, but instead transfers customer orders and shipment details to either the manufacturer or a wholesaler, who then ships the goods directly to the customer. The majority of retailers make their profit on the difference between the wholesale and retail price but some retailers earn an agreed percentage of the sales in commission, paid by the wholesaler to the retailer.

I'd just like to hear any advice, experiences, products and best sites for selling online. Thanks.
Tim Ferriss "4 hour work week" has a lot of references on this subject. You should definitely read this book, though it's out-of-date. Amazon is also a big name in this area.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Taco wrote:
Sorry I have no experience to offer.

I did watch the vid, seems okay, but "reading between the lines", seems like it's going to be hard.

Would love to see you make it work though.

I think you need to find a high-value niche for whatever you sell. I.e. dont sell to the whole world, promote to those who are emotionally predisposed to seize on what you are selling as a solution to a specific narrow problem.

Good luck.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

You might check out PhilFaqs.

He has some great stuff on making money abroad/online.

And he's not promoting anything, just wants to help others make it.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
thatkid1
Freshman Poster

Post by thatkid1 »

If anyone needs help with Drop shipping I can lead them the way but you will def need some money to start around 1k to get a good foot going to buy inventory and research tools, if your serious PM me and Ill show how its done
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Not tried this, but have tried plenty of other making money online things.

What put me off drop shipping was living in China and seeing how sh*t so much of the goods in the stores was. If you bought a $3000 container full of this stuff and you didn't have a trusted man/woman on the ground in China like I have then you'd be bankrupted.

For example, I bought some shoes in Carrefour (a reputable store) and they lasted 3 days. Also me and my friend bought stuff for our apartments and it mostly fell apart :mrgreen: .

I don't want to put people off, but you've really got to know what you're doing.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

xiongmao wrote:
What put me off drop shipping was living in China and seeing how sh*t so much of the goods in the stores was. If you bought a $3000 container full of this stuff and you didn't have a trusted man/woman on the ground in China like I have then you'd be bankrupted.

For example, I bought some shoes in Carrefour (a reputable store) and they lasted 3 days. Also me and my friend bought stuff for our apartments and it mostly fell apart :mrgreen: .

I don't want to put people off, but you've really got to know what you're doing.
Good point.

I know a Colombian couple in LA that imports from China and wholesales to Colombia, Mexico and US.

The guy told us that there is simply no concept in China of giving good service in order to win longterm business. Instead, they try to substitute inferior merchandise every time. He buys from them but checks everything.